Breaking Bad

Kejan

The fly episode.

It's not pointless at all. I've included spoilers below, so I don't ruin things for anyone who hasn't reached Season 2's last few episodes yet.

It shows just how dedicated Walt has become to his 'art'. He is a total perfectionist (to the point of madness). It is no longer simply a money-making venture. He strives for the utmost quality. This is why the image of the fly reappears in a few more episodes later on. It constantly haunts Walt. No matter how well he is doing, he is never satisfied and that will ultimately be his downfall.

It also foreshadows Season 5, Episode 8. In 'Fly', Walt says something along the lines of ''One small thing can ruin everything.''

This turns out to be the truth. All of his meticulous planning is undone by Hank finding the Walt Whitman book which he has stupidly left in an easily accessible place.

It also touches upon his regret about the little things he has done which have resulted in major events (e.g. letting Jane die, and the tragic chain of events which followed this, eventually resulting in the plane crash).

There's a real moment of tension when we think that Walt may tell Jesse about the part he played in Jane's death. As well as this, there are a few well-done comedic moments and the plot moves forward as Walt becomes aware that Jesse is stealing some of the methamphetamine batch from the laboratory. We also see that the cancer may be affecting Walt's brain.

So, yeah, that is why I don't think it's a pointless episode.

Edited by The Real Saints

The Fly episode is massively overrated it strikes me as a bit of look at how talented I am from the writer/director.

I remember reading they were running out of money for that season and had to cut back on a few episodes.

The Fly was one of those.

Personally I loved it but can understand people not getting it. Perhaps they should have had Michael Bay direct and nuke the fly?

• 2 weeks later...

Serious spoilers here so don't read if you've not watched...

I'm rewatching for the first time at the moment, and is it just me or is Jessie actually the cause of most of the problems? Walt's done some pretty shitty things by the stage I've hit (just finished Season 3) but as far as I can see..

Killed Emilio with the Phosphine explosion because Jesse had taken them to Walt.

Killed Crazy Eight essentially for the same reason.

Calls Hank's mobile and tells him Marie is at death's door to get them out of being caught red handed because Jesse has stupidly led him straight to the scene.

Letting Jane die was ultimately selfishness so he could keep his 'partner', but allowing Jane to control the money and letting her tell Walt he'd never be safe must've been a part of it.

With Walt out of the game entirely, Jesse drags him back in by using his recipe to make a fortune.

Walt gets Jesse back into the money by having Gale sacked, and Jesse repays him by swiping meth on the side.

Jesse hunts down & is about to kill two of Gus' dealers in revenge for killing Andrea's brother, but Walt kills them both for him as he knows he's more valuable.

Despite being under threat from Mike and Gus, Walt doesn't give Jesse up, putting his own life at serious risk.

He's just got Jesse to kill Gale, which is ultimately a terrible thing to do, but Jesse was saving himself as much as he was saving Walt by doing so.

I know from virtually here on out it's all Heisenberg doing the bad stuff, and I was as deloghted as anyone when Jesse escaped at the very end, but first time around I always tought Jesse was just a good kid who got in over his head and did his best to keep everyone doing the decent thing. But at this stage most of the bad things Walt has done has been as a result of Jesse's actions. Letting Jane die was one of the worst things he did in the whole series, but even at that Jesse allowing her to essentially threaten him played a part in it. Certainly not excusing Walt's overall actions by any stretch but at this stage they're just as bad as each other, for me.

If the series had ended at this stage, end of Season 3, I doubt we'd all have seen Jesse as the good guy, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was just coming on this thread to post what is mentioned above. Sky channel 160 has just started showing Breaking Bad at 11:00pm every night.

Got them on record as never seen it before, first 2 episodes out the way and enjoying it so far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Up to season 3 episode 10 on this. Season 3 for me has been a bit poor, that 'fly' episode was fucking shit.

Overall its a decent show but nowhere near as good as what its made out to be, people saying this is up there with The wire and The Sopranos are mental.

Just don't see where its going to be honest, have been wanting Jesse to get killed for a while now.

Those 2 Mexican hitmen....

Overall its a decent show but nowhere near as good as what its made out to be, people saying this is up there with The wire and The Sopranos are mental.

Probably built up too much for you to enjoy it fully, dontcha just hate when that happens. You're right though, it's not up there with The Wire, it's far better than that hugely overrated show.

Up to season 3 episode 10 on this. Season 3 for me has been a bit poor, that 'fly' episode was fucking shit.

Just don't see where its going to be honest, have been wanting Jesse to get killed for a while now.

Those 2 Mexican hitmen....

Come back and give us your thoughts once you've watched season 4 and 5. You're just getting to the good stuff.