Last Book You Read....

H_B

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

I’d recommend Giles Milton’s The Riddle and the Knight. Milton journeys to Istanbul (and beyond) following the trail of legendary knight Sir John Mandeville (famous for his medieval “Travels” book, which featured him circumnavigating the globe and meeting all manner of bizarre creatures). Milton’s goal is to find out if Mandeville could have been real and how much of his journey could be possible, and the book records his own travels through Turkey, Cyprus, and the Holy Land. It’s a brilliant read, the characters he meets are all fascinating, and he uncovers the layers upon layers of history to these places. 

Cheers for that. I've read Mandeville's book and though it seems plausible up to Jerusalem, after that the trip reads more like one of the LSD kind. And to think it was taken more seriously than Marco Polo's accounts at the time.

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Cheers for that. I've read Mandeville's book and though it seems plausible up to Jerusalem, after that the trip reads more like one of the LSD kind. And to think it was taken more seriously than Marco Polo's accounts at the time.

Not to spoil anything, but that’s about as far as Milton accepts his tale. It’s not a full history of Istanbul, I should add (and doesn’t try to be), but it has some really interesting little nuggets: Milton has more a journalist’s eye than an historian’s, which makes everything lively and keeps the pages flying. I picked up a copy for a penny on Amazon (looking now at Milton’s other books. His “Big Chief Elizabeth” was also fantastic). 

To my shame, I have only recently discovered William McIlvanney & his 'Laidlaw Trilogy'.

Always have enjoyed Crime fiction, and these books are excellent, currently on The Papers of Tony Veitch (no.2 in the series).

Highly recommended

Edited by Silverton End

I normally stick to non-fiction but there's a good range of fiction books available to borrow in my workplace so I've decided to read as many of them as possible. I started and flew threw Catch 22 last week - an excellent book that will merit reading over again. Having read Hašek's The Good Soldier Švejk previously, its influence on Heller's work was striking - both authors excel in deriving farce from putting their hopelessly flawed civilian  characters in a wartime context. 

I'm currently about one third of the way through Turgenev's Fathers and Sons  - it's obviously well written, but the running theme of whiny, intellectual rap lectures between petty Russian gentry and their sprogs isn't capturing my interest so far.

Edited by vikingTON

40 minutes ago, virginton said:

I normally stick to non-fiction but there's a good range of fiction books available to borrow in my workplace so I've decided to read as many of them as possible. I started and flew threw Catch 22 last week - an excellent book that will merit reading over again. Having read Hašek's The Good Soldier Švejk previously, its influence on Heller's work was striking - both authors excel in deriving farce from putting their hopelessly flawed civilian  characters in a wartime context. 

I've watched the film countless times but never got round to reading the book. I may just have to get my hands on a copy.

Force of Nature by Jane Harper - Five women go on a hike. Only four return. When a group of colleagues are forced to participate in a team-building exercise in the Giralang Ranges, they reluctantly start walking down the muddy track.... Good read.

Edited by Sujan Azad Parikh

Pierre and Jean by Guy De Maupassant.

A mother, a father and two brothers have a pretty normal life until a family friend leaves his entire fortune to the youngest brother Jean.  The elder brother Pierre goes into a strop and tries to figure out why the entire fortune was left to his brother but when he figures out the reason things only get worse, for him, and the entire family....

Pretty short, pretty good but claims that is his best novel aren't quite right in my opinion, that's still 'Bel Ami' but De Maupassant is pretty safe bet for a good read.

Now starting 'The Conquest of Bread' by Pyotr Kropotkin.

Recently finished reading through all the Christopher Brookmyre books for the third time so decided I needed something new, so have decided to work my way through the Rebus novels. Onto the third now and I'm loving them, so glad I've plenty still to get through.

Doing a bit of promo for a friend, who has had a first novel published that’s set in Paisley in the past (1500s). Looks to be a murder mystery, like the C J Sansom Shardlake novels (which I have read, and liked). I’ve downloaded it to Kindle and will start tonight. I can’t seem to get an option for the paperback - so it might only have been released as an ebook. Anyway, the book is called “The Abbey Close” by Steven Veerapen. It’s only 2.99 and he said on FB he’d appreciate support, so if you have a couple of quid to spare, go for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DNZVN7C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528915240&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=steven+veerapen&dpPl=1&dpID=51uBUeF47HL&ref=plSrch

On 09/06/2018 at 00:38, Bert Raccoon said:

Recently finished reading through all the Christopher Brookmyre books for the third time so decided I needed something new, so have decided to work my way through the Rebus novels. Onto the third now and I'm loving them, so glad I've plenty still to get through.

Lucky you! Loved getting to know him and Big Ger. a few books back it felt like Rebus’ time had come to an end but Rankin incorporates him into the modern world very well.

Dodgers, by Bill Beverley 

Young boys old before their time, working for drug gangs are sent out on a bleak mission. A bit like Stand By Me with tough subject matter but very natural and true interaction between the young characters. Can see it being a film before long.

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The Acid House by Irvine Welsh

Hilarious, depressing, exasperating, horrifying and relatable in equal measure

The film version has a couple of things in it that make it worth checking out 

Edited by Shandon Par

11 hours ago, Sliced Bread said:

Just finished "A Decent Ride" by Irvine Welsh, which was fun. Before that it was "Dreamcatcher" by Stephen King. I'm a big King fan, this was the 50th King book I've read, and if I were to rank them all this would be 50th.

Yeah, that one was shite