Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Lottery - Shirley Jackson

Short story set in a small American town which holds an annual lottery - you don’t find out what the lottery is until the end. Themes of blind tradition throughout; it’s a quick read but well worth your time. 

My Life - Anton Chekov

Follows the life of a man in a provincial Russian town who decides to be a labourer despite being born into relative nobility. Pretty interesting themes that’re in part relatable, even growing up in small town/village Scotland. 

Brother. Do. You. Love. Me. 

by Manni and Reuben Coe

A very moving account of an individual with Downs Syndrome's relationship with his brother during the pandemic. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

The Hero's Way by Tim Parks.

Parks is an Englishman long resident in Italy and his most famous book is a football one, 'A Season With Verona'.

This latest one sees him and his Sicilian wife replicate the 300-odd mile march from Rome to Ravenna undertaken in 1849 by Garibaldi, his pregnant Brazilian wife and around 3000 patriots who fought for a unitary Italian state against the forces of the Pope, the Austro-Hungarians, the French and the Spanish.

It's very entertaining and historically interesting in equal measure.  Recommended.

Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party by Graham Greene

Doctor Fischer is a multi-millionaire who toys with his group of ‘friends’ and shows them up as greedy sycophants who’d do anything to be richer still. Told from the point of view of estranged daughter’s husband who he’s started to invite to his infamous parties.

Thought it was the weakest of the Greene books I’ve read so far but it’s interesting enough and only about 140 pages. 

21 hours ago, Internet Citizen said:

Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party by Graham Greene

Doctor Fischer is a multi-millionaire who toys with his group of ‘friends’ and shows them up as greedy sycophants who’d do anything to be richer still. Told from the point of view of estranged daughter’s husband who he’s started to invite to his infamous parties.

Thought it was the weakest of the Greene books I’ve read so far but it’s interesting enough and only about 140 pages. 

I read this years ago.  You should check out the movie The Bomb Party starring James Mason and Alan Bates.

The little drummer girl - John le Carre

Very much enjoyed this, even if it was a longer/slower read than most JlCs which I have read. You can tell dealing with this conflict has him out of his comfort zone a little bit, but it's no less fantastically written or typically thoughtful for that; and his treatment of both the Israelis and Palestinians, and the morality of both sides of the conflict, is relatively well observed and humane. As usual, he manages to spend a lot of time with the internal lives of his characters while often leaving their thoughts, motivations and pasts on the edge of mystery. Would definitely recommend giving it a read 

Edited by MyNameIsClarence

On 02/06/2023 at 21:07, Oystercatcher said:

Just finished this. A brilliant insight on the ruling classes and their boarding schools.

9781529114805.jpg

I've just read this, having seen it referenced here.

I quite enjoyed it, but felt the writer ran out of things to say well before the end, so just kept saying them again.

There obviously is something in the case that says it's bonkers that such a tiny, oddly reared segment of society wields such influence and power.

For all I agree with his overall argument though, I thought he was reaching at times, especially when prattling on about totalitarian world leaders who often had no such upbringing.  I also thought he was working back from a current position, and reaching conclusions easily characterised as wise after the event.

It's always interesting to read criticism of a system from within it.  However, it would have made a better Long Read, than a book.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've just read this, having seen it referenced here.

I quite enjoyed it, but felt the writer ran out of things to say well before the end, so just kept saying them again.

There obviously is something in the case that says it's bonkers that such a tiny, oddly reared segment of society wields such influence and power.

For all I agree with his overall argument though, I thought he was reaching at times, especially when prattling on about totalitarian world leaders who often had no such upbringing.  I also thought he was working back from a current position, and reaching conclusions easily characterised as wise after the event.

It's always interesting to read criticism of a system from within it.  However, it would have made a better Long Read, than a book.

I listened to it but I totally get what you're saying.