Last Book You Read....

H_B

Reading the Shardlake series just now.. by CJ Sansom. Really enjoyable.

Read Heartstone, Dissolution and Dark Fire so far.

I read Revelation and thought it was excellent.
I also enjoyed Dominion, I think it was called which he wrote. The only other decent book I've read recently was An Officer and a Spy.

Whit? Either I have read a version with an alternative ending or you are completely off your tits if you saw that coming.

If you didn't see the old deus ex machina of 'It was Aliens that done it' coming then you have little imagination/experience. I don't see how there could have been any other explanation but I'd be happy to hear some alternatives.

Welsh - a decent ride. Absolutely horrendous. Even worse than his last one which was horrendous

Winslow-the cartel. Follow up to the outstanding power of the dog. Not as compelling or as good as its predecessor but violent and thrilling in bits. The detail he puts into setting scenes is magnificent

The Magician by Raymond E. Fiest. Part of the Riftwars saga.

Never been into fantasy stuff, but after reading Game of Thrones thought it might be more my cup of tea. Very popular by all accounts and a third of the way though it and enjoying it so far.

Never been into fantasy stuff, but after reading Game of Thrones thought it might be more my cup of tea. Very popular by all accounts and a third of the way though it and enjoying it so far.

One of my favourite books of all time. Absolutely fantastic read and takes you into a huge immersive world. Far better read/written than GoT tbh even tho I love they books.

I've just finished Prince of Thorns. A post apocalyptic fantasy novel by Mark Lawrence. Main character is a horrible bad wee b*****d. Good read however.

Be interested to know what you think once you've finished it. Really enjoyed it until the end, which I felt was fuckin horseshit.

Enjoying it so far, though finding it difficult to follow on occasion due to the sheer number of characters and the constant jumping around. Almost finished part one, and ordered part two this morning having only just realised that the book was in two parts. Hopefully the second book arrives by Monday so I can go straight onto it rather than reading something else in between.

Just finished Tom English's book The Grudge about Scotland's 'winner takes all' encounter with England in 1990 at Murrayfield - the most famous match in Scotland's egg-chasing history.

It's an enjoyable yarn and, for those who are old enough and interested enough in rugby at the time, an excellent piece of nostalgia.

Not sure how it would appeal to younger and more football-focused folk though. Anyway, here's a vid that summarises the day:

I was at that match. I had the choice of a ticket for the Scotland v France or the England one. I picked the right match.

Anywho, just finished Lionel Asbo: State of England by Martin Amis. It's was Okay, nothing special. 5/10

Just finished Irvine Welsh's new book 'A Decent Ride' and I have to say it was double barry. Typical Welsh, not particularly politically correct and typically dark in places. Highly recommended if you are a fan of incest, necrophilia, sexism, racism, sectarianism and Ryan Stevenson's neck tattoos.Juice Terry is some boy. 8/10

Not finished it yet but I'm enjoying it so far. Thought it was a bit of a slow starter but seems to pick up half way through. Big Jonty is some boy and Juice Terry is perhaps Welsh's greatest creation. Glue is still my favourite ever book.

Anyone else read Iain Banks final novel The Quarry? A good read, reminds me of that British film Peter's Friends. Very sad to think I'll never read another Iain Banks book.

Not finished it yet but I'm enjoying it so far. Thought it was a bit of a slow starter but seems to pick up half way through. Big Jonty is some boy and Juice Terry is perhaps Welsh's greatest creation. Glue is still my favourite ever book.

Anyone else read Iain Banks final novel The Quarry? A good read, reminds me of that British film Peter's Friends. Very sad to think I'll never read another Iain Banks book.

Aye sur aye sur aye sur... Well, no, I would say Bruce is his greatest creation, with Juice Terry and the wee jockey(Google says Jason King) from "The Kingdom of Fife" up there as well.

The Quarry was a decent read but not Banks best. I enjoyed it, but would have it well behind a few others. Was the father character based on himself, in terms of the illness and how he dealt with it?

Edited by Ross.

Aye sur aye sur aye sur... Well, no, I would say Bruce is his greatest creation, with Juice Terry and the wee jockey(Google says Jason King) from "The Kingdom of Fife" up there as well.

The Quarry was a decent read but not Banks best. I enjoyed it, but would have it well behind a few others. Was the father character based on himself, in terms of the illness and how he dealt with it?

Kingdom Of Fife is very underrated, probably because the rest of the short in that book stories were shite.

As for The Quarry, I'd imagine there must have been something of Banks experience in it. The frustration of being a relatively young age but crippled with disease. Could be completely wrong though.

Edited by Bert Raccoon

I think the majority of The Quarry was written prior to his diagnosis, he actually thought his back was sore as a result of sitting too long writing it.

I don't know if I'll ever read that one though, sounds a bit too close to the bone.

You should check out the interview he did with Kirsty Wark before he died, its a great interview but it will make you feel the loss.

You should check out the interview he did with Kirsty Wark before he died, its a great interview but it will make you feel the loss.

Think I may have seen that. He was clearly a very talented man but he also always came across as a very decent guy.

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch

I'm about 70% the way through it. As good as 'The Name of the Wind' although different.

Orphaned child gets taken in by a thief who trains him (and others) in his art. His childhood and adult escapades. Brilliant so far. Just. Read. It.

(PS - Im drunk)

Edited by MattBairn

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch

I'm about 70% the way through it. As good as 'The Name of the Wind' although different.

Orphaned child gets taken in by a thief who trains him (and others) in his art. His childhood and adult escapades. Brilliant so far. Just. Read. It.

(PS - Im drunk)

Cracking read - as normal, I'm jealous that you've got about eighty per cent of the trilogy still to enjoy. My advice is to savour every page, as it's rare (IMHO) to find a book in this genre that prioritises story over creating some sub-Middle Earth.

I'm currently enjoying The Bleeding Heart -yet another Bryant and May Mystery by Christopher Fowler - comfy wee police stories with an occult seasoning and loads of references to London history. Highly recommended, as are his other works, which can be a bit darker/more mental, but always entertaining.

I've had a Fiest book on my shelves for about 4 years now and not got near it...might have to give it a go.

Most of the books I've read recently have been imposed on me, with mixed results. More Than This by Patrick Ness was rubbish, but Lolita very good.

Also recently read Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell, coincidentally just before the BBC adaption. The world Clark created was excellent and I really enjoyed it, but it was a bit slow for some I've spoken to about it. Thought the adaption was decent too.

Edited by morrison

Couple of series books I enjoyed that have another due out soon..

The Oversight.. By Charlie fletcher .

And visions plus omens by Kelley Armstrong