Last Book You Read....

H_B

14 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Read this in three nights.  Utterly captivating.  The only Victoria cross awarded to someone from Northern Ireland was on this mission in WW2.  

He was pretty much shunned because he was catholic.  

33AFEDC2-007B-4070-A3A9-FD7A363B15B3.jpeg

Not sure how I never made a connection on this, but had been reading before about Operation Jayhawk and Operation Rimau and had in my mind the current port in Singapore. Never realised for those operations and this book refer to the old naval port which is about 5 minutes from my house and a hell of a channel (strait of Johor) they had to sail round to get to it undetected. Will be reading this next. 

Been reading a lot on South and South East Asia history, but nothing of note yet.

John Grisham ...."A time for mercy". A well paced story about a small town American lawyer defending a disadvantaged boy who kills a drunken cop.
I'm midway through this at the moment. Enjoying it - Grisham is one of those you're not going to be surprised by. Style,I mean- no doubt a plot twist or two on the way.

"Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs" - Irvine Welsh

Picked this up years ago in a charity shop and finally got round to it.

Bit different from other Welsh books in that it's all about booze rather than drugs. Guy that works for the council wants to track his dad down and runs into a new rival at work. Suitably dark tone with the same excellent descriptive writing you'd expect from Welsh. Saw the "twist" coming a mile off but still good. Yet to read one of his books I didn't like.

Roy.jpg?1605282593

Roy - Algorithm Party

More of a pamphlet than a book as it's only forty pages long.  Anyway, this is collection of short stories about life in modern day Liverpool. It's not a million miles away from the sort of stuff that Irvine Welsh writes, references to alcohol, drugs and violence etc. It somehow avoids being as cliched or hackneyed as books like this normally are.

A decent wee read.

On 11/03/2021 at 14:01, Richey Edwards said:

Last book I read was Shuggie Bain. A very cheery read.

I started Dracula by Bram Stoker last night. That is a book I have never read, despite it's reputation as a classic of it's genre.

Found it a bit of a task because it was ( obviously) written in the dialect of the day. 

Lanny by Max Porter.

Weird, but good.

An eccentric kid goes missing in a rural village in the south of England.  It's cleverly done, pulling together strands in the local reaction recognisable from Soham to Bristol to Portugal.  A mythological, ancient character called Papa Toothwort oversees it all, relaying snippets of chat he hears in odd lyrical swirly patterns.

As I said, it's a strange book, but it manages to be funny and insightful.

Finished Chris Brookmyre ‘The Cut’ and now half way through Fallen Angel.

Had not read any of his work in ages but really enjoying it, though less laugh out loud than I recall.

Thinking of doing reverse order back to where I left off, then maybe retreading his earlier stuff.