Last Book You Read....

H_B

I finished the new "Jack Reacher" book "Better off dead".  It wasn't great and gets a 3/10 from me.      It's another joint effort by Lee Child AND Andrew Child.   Like their first attempt (The Sentinel) you get the feeling Lee Child's contribution is merely letting his less talented brother use the Jack Reacher character to make them some money.   

Audiobook of Jarvis Cocker’s Good Pop, Bad Pop autobiography. 

With his years on 6 Music, he does more with the audio format than is the norm. There’s a pdf to accompany it so you can see the stuff he describes. He decides to clear out the loft of his old house (stuff has been untouched for 20 years) and the items (he decides a time either keep or bin them) plot the story of his life until Pulp really took off.

It’s very easy listening and has an almost ASMR quality to it. He name checks a few surprising inspirations to Pulp’s sounds. I’d never thought of them before but after he talks about it I could suddenly hear it in Pulp’s music. Barry White, for example, being what really gave them the “Hallelujah” moment. Can’t claim to be a huge Pulp fan and you really don’t need to be to enjoy this. Good 70s/early 80s social history and tales of being young and in a band. 

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

You can still feel the influence in today's detective stories. The hard bitten, cynical private eye surrounded by a cast of unsavoury characters led the way in the genre.

The writing still feels fresh to me after over 50 years, the one liners made me laugh out loud. It was a delight from start to finish.

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
You can still feel the influence in today's detective stories. The hard bitten, cynical private eye surrounded by a cast of unsavoury characters led the way in the genre.
The writing still feels fresh to me after over 50 years, the one liners made me laugh out loud. It was a delight from start to finish.
Eh, try over 80 years.....it was written in 1939. Chandler himself has been dead for more than 60 years.
But yes, it is an excellent read.

3 hours ago, Cairn Terrier said:

Eh, try over 80 years.....it was written in 1939. Chandler himself has been dead for more than 60 years.
But yes, it is an excellent read.

Cheers, pure laziness on my part. Thought it was written in the 50's off the top of my head, so hedged my bets. Should have checked.

Looking forward to reading Farewell My Lovely soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

My least favourite of Jenkins Reid's books that I've read. Very well written in general, but I struggled to connect with the characters at points, and she sometimes went into too much detail about the tennis matches. Good, but not hitting the heights of Daisy Jones or Malibu Rising.

The Silver Darlings - Neil Gunn.

Excellent book. Coming of age story about a boy (who isn't born into about fifty pages in) in Sutherland soon after the clearances and just as the herring fishing is taking off.

The writing is for the most part as good as I've read anywhere. Some wonderful passages. I was put off reading Gunn because my primary school headmaster used to go on about him. I shouldn't have waited so long. It's never a bad idea to be reminded of what Scotland was like in the past though.

Judging by this book alone I think Gunn needs to be moved up a couple of notches in national consciousness.

• 2 weeks later...

The Last Quarter of the Moon - Chi Zijian.

A multi-generational story of the Evenki tribe who live in the Manchurian mountains just south of the Russian/Soviet border.

Lots of tales of hunting, fishing, fucking, fights, love conquered and love forlorn, shamen, traders, soldiers, enough reindeer chat to last you a decade and a couple of incidents of adult castration.

Spanning the entire 20th century there are loads of births and deaths with many traumatic and touching moments. The writing is very matter of fact with little dialogue, but the metaphors reflect the nature which surround them.

A really good insight into nomadic way of life and just a great book overall. 360 easy to read pages and action on every one of them. A lovely cover to grace it, too.

Highly recommended. f531c7099db216c65e970a99e54d3558.jpg