Last Book You Read....

H_B

Death to the Emperor by Simon Scarrow. 

Basically the same as all his other Roman books. But for years I always thought the guys were Marco and Cato. Only this time did my eyes correct and realise the name is actually Macro, not Marco. 

On 21/10/2023 at 10:10, Clough85 said:

I’ve recently finished Slow Horses and Dead Lions, books 1 and 2 from the Slough House series by Mick Herron.  Enjoyed both and just started the third one Real Tigers.  

The TV adaption is worth a watch as well.  Worth watching for Gary Oldman alone. 

Loved the Slow Horses TV adaptation. The adventures of a group of shit spies. Gary Oldman is his usual brilliant self. 

I recently read catch22 by Joseph Heller again. Once again I was laughing out loud at some of the madness. Maybe it’s just my simple sense of humour, but some of the well written irony in it really does make me laugh out loud. 
It’s about an American bomber group flying missions during the war. The biggest catch being that military personnel can stop flying missions and go home if they say they are mad, but anyone who says they are mad, and wants to stop flying missions can’t be considered mad, as you’d sane to not want go into a plane and be shot at. 
“it’s a powerful catch that catch22, it’s the best there is”

46 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I recently read catch22 by Joseph Heller again. Once again I was laughing out loud at some of the madness. Maybe it’s just my simple sense of humour, but some of the well written irony in it really does make me laugh out loud. 
It’s about an American bomber group flying missions during the war. The biggest catch being that military personnel can stop flying missions and go home if they say they are mad, but anyone who says they are mad, and wants to stop flying missions can’t be considered mad, as you’d sane to not want go into a plane and be shot at. 
“it’s a powerful catch that catch22, it’s the best there is”

I must have started that book 3 or 4 times now, and always give up. 

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I must have started that book 3 or 4 times now, and always give up. 

I'm the same, one of the very few books I've started but not finished.  I just couldn't get into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2023 at 22:10, Clough85 said:

I’ve recently finished Slow Horses and Dead Lions, books 1 and 2 from the Slough House series by Mick Herron.  Enjoyed both and just started the third one Real Tigers.  

The TV adaption is worth a watch as well.  Worth watching for Gary Oldman alone. 

Ditto. I've been listening to the audiobooks on YT, read by Sean Barrett, who's pretty good and who am I to turn down a freebie ? Just started with Real Tigers and the first two books in the series do a pretty good job of introducing character and backstory.

Mick Herron's writing is starting to grow on me but it's an interesting wee game to listen out for the similarities in plot or cast of character hierarchy between Herron and LeCarre.