Last Book You Read....

H_B

2 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Just finished Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie .

Not sure what to make of it and really struggled to get into it for large parts. In the foreword he mentions that he wrote it in a way to try and recreate the chaotic and overcrowded nature of India, which he certainly does , tho for me large parts of that just came across as total gibberish! Unsure if this is standard to his writing style or unique to this book but it has made me think twice about delving into some more of his work.  

4:03

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

10 points for anyone who can remember how this book was controversially involved in a 1980 incident.

Is this something less obvious than Chapman claiming it inspired him to shoot John Lennon?

9 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Not sure what to make of it and really struggled to get into it for large parts. In the foreword he mentions that he wrote it in a way to try and recreate the chaotic and overcrowded nature of India, which he certainly does , tho for me large parts of that just came across as total gibberish! Unsure if this is standard to his writing style or unique to this book but it has made me think twice about delving into some more of his work.  

I read The Satanic Verses and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite not having the first clue what the hell was going on.

On 08/08/2024 at 21:47, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

1984. You won’t be disappointed. 

On 08/08/2024 at 23:04, JamesP_81 said:

1984 is easily in my top 5 all time reads.  A multiple re-read one for me.  

On 10/08/2024 at 07:27, GHF-23 said:

Interesting, I was gonna say you shouldn't bother. You'd have to live under a rock to not already know quite a lot about its themes and message, and Orwell's prose is as usual pretty poor.

Finished 1984 the other day and I’m probably somewhere in between you all, thought it was a good read but not something I’ll be rushing to read again 

On 27/08/2024 at 12:46, JamesP_81 said:

I seem to remember struggling to get into this book also. The first part of it describing his family history was quite tedious, but I enjoyed the middle section of the book when he realizes he has powers. 

It is certainly an interesting concept for a book, but I was not moved to read anymore of his work.

I believe there was a Midnight's Children film made?

8 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Finished 1984 the other day and I’m probably somewhere in between you all, thought it was a good read but not something I’ll be rushing to read again 

Given that it was written in the 40’s and given that the technology he’s weaving in to the story would be science fiction at the time, it’s up there as a deserved classic. The plot takes the piss out of communism (in a very bleak way),as does Animal Farm. 

On 27/08/2024 at 22:09, Gnash said:

I read The Satanic Verses and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite not having the first clue what the hell was going on.

did you read the sequel "The Buddha: you fat b*****d"

topical joke from 1988 there