The LOLverpool Thread

The rumour mill has Liverpool linked with Huntelaar, Darren Bent and Theo Walcott. One and two strike me as a bit unrealsitic in terms of wages/fees but would definately imrpve Liverpool - although both strike me as too much like "old fashioned poachers" for this Liverpool sid,e but you never know.

Walcott going to Liverpool :lol: He may play for a team who will never win another trophy, but at least they're not going to be desperately chasing mid-table safety for the foreseeable future. If Huntelaar ends up there that'll serve him right for thinking that he was able to pick and choose when to finally move to the Premier League. Darren Bent (for another hilariously OTT fee) seems the likely one there. Liverpool might actually be able to win the odd game with him.

Walcott going to Liverpool :lol: He may play for a team who will never win another trophy, but at least they're not going to be desperately chasing mid-table safety for the foreseeable future.

It;s a rumour that seems to have been floating about for a few managers now. i canlt see why he;d make a move like that either.

If Huntelaar ends up there that'll serve him right for thinking that he was able to pick and choose when to finally move to the Premier League. Darren Bent (for another hilariously OTT fee) seems the likely one there. Liverpool might actually be able to win the odd game with him.

I've always thought Huntelaar would do well in the Premiership, but i think Bent is a more obvious move.

Liverpool will probably pay Walcott more than Arsenal will, so if money's the key factor that could happen (I'm assuming that's what's stopping him signing a deal at Arsenal?). I'd agree that from a career perspective it isn't a good move, though, and I don't personally think it will happen.

It'll probably be Darren Bent they sign, and they'll pay well over the odds for him as usual.

I don't know how the system will be altered with another striker, even though Liverpool badly need one. Suarez is carrying the team right now and appears to be relishing in his role even if the rest of the team are struggling. Relegating Suarez to one of the wide roles to accommodate someone like Bent could backfire and put him in a position where his ability is not as effective.

Edited by Michael W

Liverpool will probably pay Walcott more than Arsenal will, so if money's the key factor that could happen (I'm assuming that's what's stopping him signing a deal at Arsenal?). I'd agree that from a career perspective it isn't a good move, though, and I don't personally think it will happen.

It'll probably be Darren Bent they sign, and they'll pay well over the odds for him as usual.

I don't know how the system will be altered with another striker, even though Liverpool badly need one. Suarez is carrying the team right now and appears to be relishing in his role even if the rest of the team are struggling. Relegating Suarez to one of the wide roles to accommodate someone like Bent could backfire and put him in a position where his ability is not as effective.

They need goals though. They needed goals before Carroll was punted. A wide forward who's going to score regularly is another option, but who?

They need goals though. They needed goals before Carroll was punted. A wide forward who's going to score regularly is another option, but who?

Theo Walcott. :P

In all seriousness, it would be easier to go for Bent - who is known to score regularly - even though he can't get a game for a poor Villa side. Suarez is currently providing goals, but I think the service he gets is poor, and the fact that two teenagers are playing in the wide roles doesn't help either. They were obviously hoping Borini would carry out the wide role and score, but he looked poor and then got injured. I just don't think punting your best player out of the position he's excelling in is a wise move.

I think Rodgers has to change the formation to get the best from the current side. The current midfield just isn't working, and Gerrard frankly looks lost at times in the midfield three. Neither Sahin or Allen are attacking players, and the sole attacking player in the middle struggling for form really isn't helping Liverpool at all. I'd put Gerrard forward with Sterling & Suso, with Allen & Sahin behind them. Suarez up front. That would allow Gerrard to get forward, but should also allow Sahin to play a role he's more comfortable playing.

Edit: that's by no means a silver bullet, but could get more out of what they have by playing to the strengths of the current players rather than what may be there in three years time.

Edited by Michael W

Theo Walcott. :P

In all seriousness, it would be easier to go for Bent - who is known to score regularly - even though he can't get a game for a poor Villa side.

I suspect there's more to the Bent situtaion than meets the eye. In any case, he;s a proven PL goal0-scorer which is exactly what Liverpool need. he's the soprt of player the Commoli-Kenny partnership arguably should have targetted

I think Rodgers has to change the formation to get the best from the current side. The current midfield just isn't working, and Gerrard frankly looks lost at times in the midfield three. Neither Sahin or Allen are attacking players, and the sole attacking player in the middle struggling for form really isn't helping Liverpool at all. I'd put Gerrard forward with Sterling & Suso, with Allen & Sahin behind them. Suarez up front. That would allow Gerrard to get forward, but should also allow Sahin to play a role he's more comfortable playing.

Edit: that's by no means a silver bullet, but could get more out of what they have by playing to the strengths of the current players rather than what may be there in three years time.

I agree with all of this, would make a lot of sense.

But their lack of goals isn't down to a lack of strikers. They only play with one anyway and he is banging them in, their problem is a lack of goals from midfield. How many goals have Sterling, Gerrard, Borini, Shelvey, Suso etc contributed? Next to heehaw. This is partly down to the system and partly the personel. Signing someone like Bent, or keeping Carroll, would only make a difference if Suarez was to get injured. They obviously need to have more depth up front in case Suarez was to get injured or leave, but the reason they aren't scoring a lot of goals at the moment isn't to do with a lack of strikers.

I think that DAF could be onto something above, in that Liverpool's main problem is the midfield.

As you say, Suarez is banging them in just now, and while yes, they could certainly do with at least one other option upfront, they could do with a total revamp in midfield first, as far as I'm concerned.

Gerrard aside, their midfield players are average or decent at best. Most of whom would be perfectly fine in a mid-table side, but Liverpool don't believe that's them. It's therefore no surprise that they're struggling not only for goals, but in general, because their squad if chock full of average mid-table Premiership players.

But their lack of goals isn't down to a lack of strikers. They only play with one anyway and he is banging them in, their problem is a lack of goals from midfield. How many goals have Sterling, Gerrard, Borini, Shelvey, Suso etc contributed? Next to heehaw. This is partly down to the system and partly the personel. Signing someone like Bent, or keeping Carroll, would only make a difference if Suarez was to get injured. They obviously need to have more depth up front in case Suarez was to get injured or leave, but the reason they aren't scoring a lot of goals at the moment isn't to do with a lack of strikers.

I think that DAF could be onto something above, in that Liverpool's main problem is the midfield.

As you say, Suarez is banging them in just now, and while yes, they could certainly do with at least one other option upfront, they could do with a total revamp in midfield first, as far as I'm concerned.

Gerrard aside, their midfield players are average or decent at best. Most of whom would be perfectly fine in a mid-table side, but Liverpool don't believe that's them. It's therefore no surprise that they're struggling not only for goals, but in general, because their squad if chock full of average mid-table Premiership players.

You need to be realisitc though, Sahin and Allen were the big signings of the summer, and Gerard is Gerard so midfield revamp is unlikely, until at least Lucas comes back, and he;s not going to offer goals.

Suarez may be carrying them goals wise but he's not the most consistent of finisers. So it;s either a wide forward, or pushing him wide and repalcing him with another striker. A 4-2-3-1 with Suarez giving a free role from the left, and Gerard in front of Allen-Sahin with Sterling on the right could be effective.

I think Rodgers was adamant he would get either Dempsey or Sigurdsson in the summer to fill the creative void in midfield. As it happens he lost both to Spurs and had no real backup plan so has tried to shoehorn Sahin into a position he isn't

comfortable with. It's a shame Aquliani never adapted to English football as he would have been useful in this role.

He needs to sign a "number 10" in January rather than an out and out goalscorer. Either that or a winger who can score goals