The LOLverpool Thread

It was definitely a Liverpool reserve team. I imagine it wasn't the Italians' full strength side though either?

I don't follow Italian football, so can't comment on the strength of Udinese's side last night. I'd imagine they would indeed rest a couple of players, though.

I'll grant you Reina, Johnson and Allen. I doubt Borini would have played had he not missed the last match through injury.

Carragher hasn't been a starter for a year now, Coates has never been starter and Downing and Henderson have been substitutes in the league matches. I don't think Gerrard and Suarez coming off the bench really proves anything either - lots of teams do this when they've fielded a weakened side and are struggling for a result. It didn't work for Liverpool, obviously.

So, yeah; four of last night's starters have started for Liverpool on a regular basis this season. I think that's a good definition of a mostly reserve team.

That's not what I'd describe as a reserve team, just about every single one of those players has been involved in the first team on multiple occassions this season, either starting, coming off the bench or being named in the first team squad. Reina, Johnson, Shelvey, Sterling, Allen, Henderson, Downing, Carragher, Gerrard, Suarez and Borini have all made multiple appearances this season. Are they all first choice in their position? No, but they're all first team players. In fact, Jack Robinson and Oussama Assaidi are the only two players that haven't appeared in the Premier League this season and the only two I wouldn't consider to be a Liverpool First Team player.

That was not a reserve team, it was a Liverpool First Team Squad with a couple of youngsters as an addition.

That's not what I'd describe as a reserve team, just about every single one of those players has been involved in the first team on multiple occassions this season, either starting, coming off the bench or being named in the first team squad.

I think that's a pretty narrow definition of a reserve team. What's certain is that the team who played on Thursday was far from Liverpool's first choice and would never start a much more important Premiership game.

Like Spurs last season, Liverpool are doing absolutely the right thing with the Europa League. Blood some youngsters, give guys you wouldn't start in the Premiership a blow out and if you get through you do, if you don't f**k it, who cares.

Will give the breaking through talent some match experience.

Edited by H_B

I don't follow Italian football, so can't comment on the strength of Udinese's side last night. I'd imagine they would indeed rest a couple of players, though.

Udinese have always been a club reliant on bringing in cheap good players, and punting them on for profit. An aging, but still effective Di Natale aside, i reckon this is their poorest squad for a few seasons.

The team that conceded 2 goals in 90 seconds last night was anything but a reserve team. They're just riddled with shite throughout their squad. Long may it continue.

Not entirely sure why a mostly reserve team losing against fairly decent opposition in a competition that the management clearly doesn't really care about is funny, to be honest.

Would you laugh at Rangers if they lost to Motherwell ?

Like Spurs last season, Liverpool are doing absolutely the right thing with the Europa League.

Like Spurs last season, Liverpool will be wishing they had European action at all this time next year. Much like Wenger's use of the Carling Cup as an opportunity to give the third team some match time, you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.

I notice Tony Evans of the Times - the ever so impartial Tony Evans - has said he doesn't see things working out for Brendan Rodgers. Evans of course being one of the very few who thought KKKenny deserved more time.

The evidence so far has quite a clear conclusion = Dalglish is a much, much better manager than Rodgers.

Rodgers has had an utterly horrific start, won't be surprised if he's punted by Christmas.

A fake twitter has made a fool of Liverpool FC, Goal.com and a fair few journalists look a bit stupid. deadspin

Basically the guy put up team lines on twitter before the BBC and guessed a few transfer rumours. His following built up so much that he was considered a reliable source for all things Liverpool leading to the head of PR threatening him in a cafe for costing Liverpool £300,000.

A fake twitter has made a fool of Liverpool FC, Goal.com and a fair few journalists look a bit stupid. deadspin

Basically the guy put up team lines on twitter before the BBC and guessed a few transfer rumours. His following built up so much that he was considered a reliable source for all things Liverpool leading to the head of PR threatening him in a cafe for costing Liverpool £300,000.

whistling.gif

laugh.gif

How journalism works. That makes the Liverpool guy look like a lunatic and a moron. I suspect both are true.