Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a pretty awful definition of 'bigot'.

Yep. Straight out of the OF Fan Defence Book.

Intolerance of bigotry does not a bigot make.

Huh how is wanting a national flag to be flown a bigot? Granted when you bring violence into the equation then you have allowed your passion for the national flag to trump reason. The British flag should be flown as should a tricolour next to it, then everybody will be happy. Also I find this all ridiculous as why do people have a problem with the national flag of northern Ireland which is the union flag (It is only a union jack when flown at sea in case posters here were not aware of this). Its the same as those people who want to make it illegal for people to call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree and who want the holiday scraped as apparently a festival celebrating joy, family, humanity and good will to all men is an evil, oppressive Christian tradition.

(But that celebrating the devil and murder and violence on halloween is a great bastion of humanity... Note I am being a little tongue in cheek here but the point remains about those people trying to jail people for celebrating christmas, even those who celebrate it as a secular ceremony)

I also think the loyalist community did their normally high regard in Scotland a lot of harm by attacking the church for no good reason, as the church had nothing to do with the decision and in fact was likely opposed to such petty decisions as banning the national flag. It is always a shame when people resort to violence and flail out randomly at the wrong target rather than using legal means such as the European Court Of Human rights to air their grievances.

Huh how is wanting a national flag to be flown a bigot? Granted when you bring violence into the equation then you have allowed your passion for the national flag to trump reason. The British flag should be flown as should a tricolour next to it, then everybody will be happy. Also I find this all ridiculous as why do people have a problem with the national flag of northern Ireland which is the union flag (It is only a union jack when flown at sea in case posters here were not aware of this). Its the same as those people who want to make it illegal for people to call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree and who want the holiday scraped as apparently a festival celebrating joy, family, humanity and good will to all men is an evil, oppressive Christian tradition.

(But that celebrating the devil and murder and violence on halloween is a great bastion of humanity... Note I am being a little tongue in cheek here but the point remains about those people trying to jail people for celebrating christmas, even those who celebrate it as a secular ceremony)

I also think the loyalist community did their normally high regard in Scotland a lot of harm by attacking the church for no good reason, as the church had nothing to do with the decision and in fact was likely opposed to such petty decisions as banning the national flag. It is always a shame when people resort to violence and flail out randomly at the wrong target rather than using legal means such as the European Court Of Human rights to air their grievances.

:1eye

dictionary.com

Fail #1: plantation owners?! Making a judgement of someone based on something they have control over (occupation/property) and something they have no control over (nationality) is not the same thing, no matter how much you wish it were so that your views could be acceptable.

Since when did nationality determine that the Northern Irish are disgraceful bigots? The fact that they've engaged in a civil war and continue to vote en masse for sectarian parties makes them bigots: do keep up.

Fail #2: you said that you, purely because of the country you were born in, were "qualified" to "label" all people from NI as "idiotic, bigoted scum". There was no reference to voting and even if there were, the entire population did not vote for sectarian parties.

I didn't say 'purely' because I'm from Scotland: there are well over a hundred countries whose inhabitants would likely regard Northern Ireland as a backwater, and its people despicable bigots.

EGB's claim is that somehow Scots aren't in a position to pass comment on bigotry in Northern Ireland: we are. We don't start civil wars based on nationalist conceptions of a sky fairy. We don't commit terrorist atrocities killing and maiming innocent civilians. We don;t continue to vote for such bigoted parties, and then leech off the rest of the country in subsidies so we don't go back to murdering each other.

As I said, a horrible, bigoted country that should be left to its own devices.

Wanting the flag to be flown doesn't make someone a bigot in itself but everyone who's making a fuss over this is a bigot, so...

I also think the loyalist community did their normally high regard in Scotland a lot of harm by attacking the church for no good reason,

Yeah, outside Ibrox and Larkhall, I doubt many people in Scotland hold 'the loyalist community' in anything but contempt.

^^^ Bigot

Since when did nationality determine that the Northern Irish are disgraceful bigots? The fact that they've engaged in a civil war and continue to vote en masse for sectarian parties makes them bigots: do keep up.

I didn't say 'purely' because I'm from Scotland: there are well over a hundred countries whose inhabitants would likely regard Northern Ireland as a backwater, and its people despicable bigots.

My point was that you attribute characteristics to every person of a nation based on what their compatriots do. That's a despicable trait to have. You demonstrate it again in your last line so the point is won.

Riiiight.

My comment was about his general posting style rather than this thread (ETA - see the word 'any' in the definition). Regardless, applying any label, let alone one like bigoted scum, to an entire nation hardly puts someone in the vanguard of a cruasade against bigotry.

It is only a union jack when flown at sea in case posters here were not aware of this

If you're going to be pedantic and pretentious, at least do it properly.

A "Jack" is a small flag flown to indicate the nationality of a vessel while it's in port it's not flown at sea.

Talking of bombs a car stopped last night in Londonderry had a pipe bomb in it. Dissident republicans.

Well done the PSNI :)

Just another reason to get rid of NI, waste of time, waste of money

I've been. I drank in a pub that sold UVF t-shirts, stayed opposite a pub that had a cage on the door due to it being attacked a few years ago and got a free taxi journey because a taxi driver saw us straying close to an 'IRA stronghold' and offered us a lift back into the centre.

It's a bit crazy.

If you were in a pub in Northern Ireland selling UVF t-shirts then that pub must have been in a loyalist stronghold somewhere in which case you were more than likely in the pub with someone from the area or with a flute band or something, , ...yes these places are a bit mad but it only accounts for about 2% of the place.

If you were in a pub in Northern Ireland selling UVF t-shirts then that pub must have been in a loyalist stronghold somewhere in which case you were more than likely in the pub with someone from the area or with a flute band or something, , ...yes these places are a bit mad but it only accounts for about 2% of the place.

Upper shankill possibly ;)

Archived