Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh how is wanting a national flag to be flown a bigot? Granted when you bring violence into the equation then you have allowed your passion for the national flag to trump reason. The British flag should be flown as should a tricolour next to it, then everybody will be happy. Also I find this all ridiculous as why do people have a problem with the national flag of northern Ireland which is the union flag (It is only a union jack when flown at sea in case posters here were not aware of this). Its the same as those people who want to make it illegal for people to call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree and who want the holiday scraped as apparently a festival celebrating joy, family, humanity and good will to all men is an evil, oppressive Christian tradition.

(But that celebrating the devil and murder and violence on halloween is a great bastion of humanity... Note I am being a little tongue in cheek here but the point remains about those people trying to jail people for celebrating christmas, even those who celebrate it as a secular ceremony)

I also think the loyalist community did their normally high regard in Scotland a lot of harm by attacking the church for no good reason, as the church had nothing to do with the decision and in fact was likely opposed to such petty decisions as banning the national flag. It is always a shame when people resort to violence and flail out randomly at the wrong target rather than using legal means such as the European Court Of Human rights to air their grievances.

Seen as you are clearly not aware either term is equally correct, and has been since 1902.

P.S.

The rest of your post is complete pish too.

Guest Kincardine

Radio 4's Today program had a good interview with Newton Emerson and Ruth Dudley Edwards which I heard when I was shaving this morning.

You can listen to it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p3nqh/Today_07_12_2012/

Scroll through to about 1 hour 30 minutes and listen for about 10 minutes.

The most fascinating comment is RDE (A unionist doyen) saying that, "Hard line loyalists are too thick to realise that they have won this war".

My point was that you attribute characteristics to every person of a nation based on what their compatriots do. That's a despicable trait to have. You demonstrate it again in your last line so the point is won.

Given the overwhelming majority of the Northern Irish perpetuate this bigotry at the ballot-box, they're collectively carrying the can for this one. As a result your point is invalid.

Thanks for playing though.

Guest Kincardine

Given the overwhelming majority of the Northern Irish perpetuate this bigotry at the ballot-box, they're collectively carrying the can for this one. As a result your point is invalid.

What bigotry do the, "overwhelming majority of the Northern Irish perpetuate" at the ballot box? And what has it to do with the 'flag' issue?

Given that the Northern Irish electorate vote in overwhelming numbers for the bigot parties,

So who do you suggest they vote for since the major UK parties (Conservative, Labour and Lib Dems) don't stand in NI?

Guest Kincardine

So who do you suggest they vote for since the major UK parties (Conservative, Labour and Lib Dems) don't stand in NI?

Good point. I think the major UK parties SHOULD be standing in NI and that the only party with any credibility here is The Alliance.

I could go off on one about the appalling behaviour of so-called Unionists but I'll hold back, save to say that trashing folks' houses is just unspeakably wrong.

If you were in a pub in Northern Ireland selling UVF t-shirts then that pub must have been in a loyalist stronghold somewhere in which case you were more than likely in the pub with someone from the area or with a flute band or something, , ...yes these places are a bit mad but it only accounts for about 2% of the place.

Nah, was just walking up the Shankill with a couple of pals looking at all the murals and we decided to have a pint there and a pint on the Falls. The best pub would settle the whole republican/ loyalist thing for good. The one we went to on the Shankill was the 'Rex Bar' i think. Unsurprisingly, it lost.

Thanks for playing though.

Collectively carrying the can? If you have no concept of individuals being accountable for their own actions rather than others then you are a cretin.

Putting aside your utter buffoonery, your attempt to excuse your intolerance is farcical. The percentage of eligible population voting at the last NI assembly elections and general election was just over 50%. As a percentage of the entire population thats about a third. Even if you assumed every last one of the voters voted for a sectarian party, where is your "overwhelming majority" coming in in the context of castigating an entire nation?

Idiot.

Collectively carrying the can? If you have no concept of individuals being accountable for their own actions rather than others then you are a cretin.

Each individual is responsible for maintaining the culture, politics and legacy of bigotry. I'm glad you agree.

Despite your hand-wringing about this mythical silent majority of Norn Irish who object to the Troubles, there is no evidence to suggest their engagement at the ballot box, no indication that attitudes have changed since their murderous civil war, and as clearly seen in these protests, continued allegiance to ridiculous false interpretations of 17th Century psuedo-history. This is a cut-and-dried case, regardless of your objections.

Good point. I think the major UK parties SHOULD be standing in NI and that the only party with any credibility here is The Alliance.

It should be noted that the Alliance have succeeded in Northern Ireland in doing what no other British political party has succeeded in doing - electing someone of oriental origin (South East Asia) onto a national assembly (Anna Lo). Not bad for "a land of bigots" when it's hardly a secret that mainland British political parties avoid standing oriental candidates where possible - especially for Parliament - as they're regarded as "unelectable".

Northern Ireland is changing for the better, & childish grandstanding like the events of this week aren't going to save the political gorillas from extinction, no matter how loudly they bellow and beat their chests.

Archived