Depression

Just to clarify I wasn't trying to start a fight or one up manship. Was only pointing out that sadness and depression are different and it's very hard just to get on with life and make best of it. It's a common misperception.

In your opinion. I could go on and say how hard a life my wife has had but it dosnt make it any better, what i do know is she is a fighter and yes she has just got to get on with it. We make hard choices on the way ll the time but we have to make these for what we think is in the best interests of her and my children.

Deal each day as it comes.

It's not opinion, it's fact. A lot of people liken sadness and depression but that is wrong. Sad people might have the choice to get on and have a "good crack at life". Depressed people often can't. It's not about being sad, it's chemical, it's an illness. You wouldn't suggest that someone with a broken leg should just walk it off.

Just to clarify I wasn't trying to start a fight or one up manship. Was only pointing out that sadness and depression are different and it's very hard just to get on with life and make best of it. It's a common misperception.

I know you might be at a bit of a low ebb, but for fucksake, don't get involved. Gman probably has good reason to post, he just hasn't expressed it well. (You must have seen other posts). This is my point, forums like this are not really the best place. To wide an intellectual pool and to narrow an offended threshold.

In your opinion. I could go on and say how hard a life my wife has had but it dosnt make it any better, what i do know is she is a fighter and yes she has just got to get on with it. We make hard choices on the way ll the time but we have to make these for what we think is in the best interests of her and my children. 

Deal each day as it comes.

Good to hear your wife is soldiering on. Must help her knowing she has a family to support her all the way.

Please bare in mind there are those who don't possess the fighting spirit that you highlight that your wife has though. I've said previously, people deal with negative emotions differently from others, and there is no "one true way" to deal with depression and other mental illnesses. It's a highly individualistic illness in regards to how the sufferer deals with it.

I know you might be at a bit of a low ebb, but for fucksake, don't get involved. Gman probably has good reason to post, he just hasn't expressed it well. (You must have seen other posts). This is my point, forums like this are not really the best place. To wide an intellectual pool and to narrow an offended threshold.

Surely you can't advocate not posting on this thread of the basis of this?

I'm not offended.

This could surely be an opportunity to educate?

I wish the wider public acknowledged this. This needs to be banged into advertising.

It does, there are so many misconceptions and stigmas attached to mental ill health that people don't seek help.

Who? Do you think any of us are qualified enough?

Would you bring up this qualification issue at a group therapy session?

People coming together and expressing their feelings and helping each other is a legitimate coping mechanism. It's no different on here. The only issue is that we have rather sad individuals for whatever reason trying to derail the thread.

You cant compare that. Bollox to that. Maybe my wife is depressed and has not got the help she needs, i generally dont know. What i do know is that she carrys on with every day because she got to but because she has not been told by the doctors she is depressed means i may be wrong?

No. Absolutely no one here has said that your wife is or isn't depressed. That isn't the point anyone's making.

All that is being pointed out is that sadness and depression are not the same thing. Depression is a very real, often debilitating illness. It CAN be compared with the more obviously physical conditions because it is an illness, like cancer, like diabetes, like asthma. You wouldn't tell sufferers of those conditions to just get on with it. You cannot tell someone with depression to just get on with it.

Can i just clarify that i have not mentioned about any other person, only my wife, Sergeant Wilson is spot on, im useless when it comes to this internet business.

It's a fact, sometimes you don't know what's wrong until somebody tells you. We all know your Mrs background,you told us. She finds the strength to go on because there is no option. That's to all your credit. I'd still point her to a doc though.

Another thing that needs hammering into the public consciousness is the difference between poor/good mental health and poor / good mental wellbeing. Everyone on this planet experiences poor mental.wellbeing at some point. Some folk with poor mental health live fine every day with good mental wellbeing.

Poor mental health is an illness like cancer,diabetes broken leg or the flu. Anyone can have poor mental wellbeing. In some ways it doesn't matter which one you have if you feel shifty. You feel.bad and that's it. But for some the way out of it is support of friends and family, diet,exercise,anything that give s a feeling of worth. For some it is medication , psychiatric help etc everyone is different. X person had y help them means f**k all to the next person.