Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Getting a fee for Ross MacLean should go down in the history books as the greatest piece of business that Dumbarton FC have ever done.

You likely got a much bigger one from us for Tony Wallace, just before our catastrophic 2013/14 campaign. Which should be on the fucking podium at least. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

You likely got a much bigger one from us for Tony Wallace, just before our catastrophic 2013/14 campaign. Which should be on the fucking podium at least. 

If it makes you feel any better, Tony signed for you guys in the summer of 2012. So he was, at least, a member of that pretty good Morton side that pushed Thistle fairly close for the league.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Getting a fee for Ross MacLean should go down in the history books as the greatest piece of business that Dumbarton FC have ever done.

Faz in. Although this isn't even amongst the worst fees paid by forfar unfortunately. We shelled out money on BJ Coll, Bobby Barr & Josh Skelly.

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

Was it Ryan Stevenson that was part of the swap? 

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

It was indeed

Gary Locke proving he is an absolute puddin as a manager. Not that he needed to as he'd already proved it at Killie, but he fancied plumbing even further depths at Raith.

5 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

If it makes you feel any better, Tony signed for you guys in the summer of 2012. So he was, at least, a member of that pretty good Morton side that pushed Thistle fairly close for the league.

He was a member of that side only in the sense that the kitman or Cappie the Cat also made a contribution. Punted out to Albion Rovers on loan before returning for the dogshit second season.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

He was a member of that side only in the sense that the kitman or Cappie the Cat also made a contribution. Punted out to Albion Rovers on loan before returning for the dogshit second season.

The difference in Tony Wallace leaving us was that he actually played well in the season before he left. He also had a great play offs that season. He has also went on to have a reasonably good career in leagues 1 and 2.

Ross McLean, on the other hand, has been pretty hopeless for his whole spell with us (apart from one or two matches) and was allowed some "time away from football" since January because of work commitments. Thus, he hasn't even played football for 6 months. I don't imagine he will ever get above league 2 and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the juniors before the end of next season.

14 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

The difference in Tony Wallace leaving us was that he actually played well in the season before he left. He also had a great play offs that season. He has also went on to have a reasonably good career in leagues 1 and 2.

Ross McLean, on the other hand, has been pretty hopeless for his whole spell with us (apart from one or two matches) and was allowed some "time away from football" since January because of work commitments. Thus, he hasn't even played football for 6 months. I don't imagine he will ever get above league 2 and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the juniors before the end of next season.

You really don't need to tell me that Ross McLean is garbage - my point is that you won both watches. 

7 hours ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Having watched both mcguffie & McLean play for my team over the last five or so seasons... McLean was much more effective overall...I would have kept him before mcguffie every single time 

Well Ross McLean told us he didn't want to play for us and stopped taking a wage half way through the season, so I'm quite content having a player that actually does want to play for us now.

10 hours ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Having watched both mcguffie & McLean play for my team over the last five or so seasons... McLean was much more effective overall...I would have kept him before mcguffie every single time 

A lot can change in "5 or so seasons"... 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, super-son said:

Guessing that will be Lynas signing up then?

As long as he is happy to be a squad player then it's fair enough. I don't really think he is good enough to be a regular starter in league 1. Despite him being a good guy and always giving 100%, I don't think we should have offered him terms. But we have signed pretty well thus far so I'll give Faz this one, for now.

Edited by squeezebox-son