Sons' sorrow

I wonder if Liam Buchanan is less likely to sign now that Alloa are staying up. Or was he indeed a signing target for us?

The guy who told me is good mates with Liam. He had no idea whether it was dependant on Alloa staying up.

I know Buchanan and Murray are friendly, seen them having some 'bantz' at our Civil Service Strollers pre season match a couple of seasons ago so it could still go ahead.

Its a matter of personal choice whether or not you buy your season ticket now or wait until more players have been announced.

I'm not sure why you'd want to wait for more signings - if buying a season ticket is dependent on the players we sign then I'd ask whether the financial commitment of a season ticket is for you? If there's a doubt as to whether or not you'll go to games if the squad doesn't meet your expectation then why give the club the money up front?

Surely the arguments for or against season tickets are down to either affordability or whether or not you'll make the majority of home games?

Dumbarton will assemble a squad that the club can afford and that the manager hopes will be able to do the job required of them. Those are the only 2 certainties that anybody can guarantee at season ticket renewal time. The actual signings?

If they're good enough then we'll be fine.

If they're not good enough then we'll be in trouble.

We'll find that out next May.

I'll be buying a season ticket as per normal, but I've got a very heavy heart indeed about this season.

Not only will we be up against at least three 'Premier' Division clubs, and eight full-time outfits in total, but every one of the other nine teams has an owner or owners who believe in some level of financial investment in their playing staff. In the case of Morton and Alloa, to name but two, they do it committedly.

But here we are at Dumbarton, with Ian Murray or whoever scrabbling about the car boot sale, and I'm wondering if I'm the only Sons fan who sees an utter contradiction in that situation balanced against the grandiose scheme to uproot the club. And why do I get the growing impression that Brabco don't actually have any poppy worth talking about ?

I'll be buying a season ticket as per normal, but I've got a very heavy heart indeed about this season.

Not only will we be up against at least three 'Premier' Division clubs, and eight full-time outfits in total, but every one of the other nine teams has an owner or owners who believe in some level of financial investment in their playing staff. In the case of Morton and Alloa, to name but two, they do it committedly.

But here we are at Dumbarton, with Ian Murray or whoever scrabbling about the car boot sale, and I'm wondering if I'm the only Sons fan who sees an utter contradiction in that situation balanced against the grandiose scheme to uproot the club. And why do I get the growing impression that Brabco don't actually have any poppy worth talking about ?

And now relax.

Let's look at your examples, Morton - throwing lots of cash and getting nothing in return. Dump of a ground and probs in a bundle of debt.

Alloa, good little stadium, some decent players but just saved themselves from relegation via the playoffs.

Dumbarton, with a home support of less than 1000 fans have been the best part time team for the last four years. Last season we had arguably the best young striker, goal keeper and defender in Scotland on loan to us. Was last year the best football we've ever played no but we finished the season with games to spare.

Yeh we are well and truly gubbed.????

We'll be up against it next season. I've absolutely no doubt that it'll be a struggle. I'm not convinced that Murray has the contacts at this level to build a squad and I'm not convinced that he's still interested in being our manager. I suspect he's now killing time until something else comes up. With that in mind, a clear-out at the very top might not be a terrible thing. We certainly need a proper assistant in to shake things up and add a bit of freshness to training and tactics.

Brabco aren't putting any money directly into Dumbarton. In a way it's hampering our ability to sign players. In another way it's protecting us to a degree from signing players on unsustainable contracts and having the rug pulled from under our feet. If we only pay what we can afford then we don't need to worry about an owner running out of money or commitment.

The nightmare scenario has been avoided with Queen of the South losing in the play-offs yesterday. It's one less top flight team to have to play. That said, St Mirren and 2 from Rangers, Hibs and Motherwell isnt ideal. Morton coming back up will cause us problems and as you've said, Alloa seem able to punch above their natural weight with the money they're paying.

Right now all we can really do is see how Brabco's plans for moving the club play out. If they don't go ahead then we'll see the issue of Brabco's ownership of the club come under sharp scrutiny.

I'll be buying a season ticket, I think it will be no more difficult than last year, but the championship is still an interesting prospect for Murray, and if he gets a full time gig, he'll go with my best wishes, but I think he deserves a break when it comes to an assistant, we're all only guessing as to jack Ross's influence, although it would be good to have one. If we do need a new manager, I'm sure we're seen as an exciting challenge for anyone, and have no shortage in applications.

Edited by optimistic

I'm pleased with the three we have re-signed and with only the Rangers/Hibs/Motherwell issue to be sorted, we'll soon know the line up of our division. I don't think there'll be all that much 'investment' in players by our rivals, simply because it isn't investment - it's a donation.

We could end up with crowds as good as last season. St Mirren and Morton will give us as good crowds as Hearts and Hibs but probably not as strong opposition. If we have Motherwell instead of Hibs or Rangers, then that is an opportunity for points too. At this stage I'd be surprised if any team runs away with the division the way Hearts did but with at least one of Hibs/Rangers still being there that is always a possibility.

Let's all take a chill pill and wait and see who is signed and re-signed.

Right now all we can really do is see how Brabco's plans for moving the club play out. If they don't go ahead then we'll see the issue of Brabco's ownership of the club come under sharp scrutiny.

Agree with everything you've said but I've got to ask why their ownership seems to have gone by largely without scrutiny by the vast majority of the support?

Unknown people buy the club and we were told to trust them, even though they wouldn't tell us a) who they were or b) what their plans for the club were. Now presenting us a pie in the sky idea without ANY costs attached to it. They should have been sharply scrutinised from the start. For example, the question "what is Brabco's plans after building the stadium or should the stadium not be built what's their plan then?" was answered by Alan Jardine "I don't know". Either he's lying and he does know or if he genuinely doesn't know then it's a bit more worrying for me.

No further announcements on the stadium move either since the public meeting, is there nothing to report (find that hard to believe) or are their problems?

We already know for come may next year we will be ahead of alloa and Livingston, so the pressure is off and we can just wait and see if we can climb above anyone else !! then season 2016/17 we make our moveback to a top half finish!

We already know for come may next year we will be ahead of alloa and Livingston, so the pressure is off and we can just wait and see if we can climb above anyone else !! then season 2016/17 we make our moveback to a top half finish!

are you and Optimistic the same person? :lol:

You seem very optimistic, unlike OKI 111 who's glass seems to be permanently almost empty!