Sons' sorrow

Like you wouldn't sell your cock and balls on the black market to be in our position. Even if it meant your stadium being called the Cock and Balls Arena.

I still don't get how this is any different from the Strathclyde Homes Stadium or the Bet Butler Stadium. Am I missing something here?

Not really, just differing opinions.

Stair Park is owned by the council, so I don't think that the Cock and Balls Arena

is up for discussion at present.

".... Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium...." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's doing a deal with sponsors, and there's rolling over for them.

Good to see our ex-team looking impressive for you, though.

Do you understand what a sponsorship deal actually is?

Someone on facebook used the argument "can you imagine sportscene saying cheaper insurance stadium?"

Erm...yes...

The guy who owns the company is a lifelong Dumbarton fan. We're giving a fan greater exposure whilst gaining some much needed cash. Who cares what it's called. Some may think having an Irish cider company on a faux Irish team might be tad more embarrassing than giving a local man's company some advertising in his home town team's stadium.

Like you wouldn't sell your cock and balls on the black market to be in our position. Even if it meant your stadium being called the Cock and Balls Arena.

I still don't get how this is any different from the Strathclyde Homes Stadium or the Bet Butler Stadium. Am I missing something here?

Purely because of the word 'cheaper'. If it was called 'The Insurance Direct' stadium no one would have batted an eyelid. I don't even see why the name is a talking point at all.

Edited by FifeSons

He might have. He was also in charge of catering at Celtic Park for a few years.

He's a decent bloke, and many a time he'd be on his feet cheering a goal in the Stand at Boghead.

And I used to get a free pie at half time, me being a Steward back then :thumsup2 .

The more I think about it the more I think it was him. Although, as you'll understand, my memories of queuing up for a burger after Akrams are a little hazy to say the least. I do remember him as being a nice guy, and I take my hat off to him for getting to where he is today. I also run my own business, but not quite at the stage where I can get a football stadium named after my company. Maybe I'll see if I can be a mascot this year or something...

The more I think about it the more I think it was him. Although, as you'll understand, my memories of queuing up for a burger after Akrams are a little hazy to say the least. I do remember him as being a nice guy, and I take my hat off to him for getting to where he is today. I also run my own business, but not quite at the stage where I can get a football stadium named after my company. Maybe I'll see if I can be a mascot this year or something...

'Exiled Elephant' has quite a nice ring to it.

Alex is a really nice man as you say. He was involved selling burgers at Akrams although i think it was a chap Gary Boyle who done the burger van for him and he might be who you remember.

Alex ran a company in the mid 80s called the Perfect burger company and had a few burger vans about as well as selling burgers through garages, etc.

As i said a few pages ago he ran the pie stall for Dumbarton until they moved ground. It was after that he set up his insurance company and chucked the catering all together as far as i know. I think Gary Boyle still had a burger van for a while after this.

Just seen the photos on the OS, he's got less hair now but that's the guy I remember. A long time Sons fan so I'm sure he'll be giving the club a good deal. Yeah, the new not-very-subtle stadium name might attract a bit of criticism but who cares? A local business is supporting the club and vice versa. Here's hoping it works out well for both parties.

The modern era of football demands that clubs maximise income streams out with your match day attendance. The club clearly recognise this and quite rightly put the revenue ahead of upsetting a few sensitive souls. If the company are willing to put cold hard cash in the coffers I couldn't give a damn what the stadium is called. If the owner is a Sons fan then more the better. It's more than likely this additional income has helped Aitken shape the team he has, and if we put a decent team on the park the stadium name will pale into insignificance.

It will continue to be known as the Rock to the fans anyway, but hopefully the company benefit from their support of the club. I've got some car insurance due next month so I'll be paying a visit.

I've not been able to get to a pre-season match yet but the results are encouraging; in particular the two clean sheets. Add another striker and I'll be as confident as I've ever been going in to a new season.

For god's sake don't mention that you have your own business! The club will be after your hard earned. I got a slew of emails asking me for sponsorship when the club learned I had my own company :lol: Even Partick Thistle contacted me once! The c***s. I'd rather throw my money in the Leven than sponsor the Maryhill b*****ds. Edited by Sweet Pete

On the subject of the new sponsorship deal, surely it is much better to have the support of a business which is local, has the club's interests at heart, has been built by a local guy and one which seems far more stable than some dodgy online betting company? Who cares about the name? I sure as hell don't and if the club are in a good position and this local business is going to benefit from the deal, then excellent!

Edited by squeezeboxson

Just noticed Alec Couper's brother Ian in the photo on the OS. Just to underpin the earlier statement about Alec being a Sons fan, I remembered Ian on the terraces of Boghead on many an occasion. He was a regular song starter.