Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

From what I've heard on the wonderful "Project Brave" could make it difficult for us to run youth teams but it doesn't look like anything has been decided yet.

Thank you for the reply. You are bang on about Project Brave. As a coach, I am in the 

camp of believing it wont work. Too much self preservation at the higher end of football.

2 minutes ago, coach said:

Thank you for the reply. You are bang on about Project Brave. As a coach, I am in the 

camp of believing it wont work. Too much self preservation at the higher end of football.

Aye, I fail to see how Project Brave changes things for the better but I guess we'll see.

I have said for a long time that admission prices are too high. For a start nobody 12 or under should pay to get in at all as we need to attract children as our future support. Older children students and oaps should all pay less than half price. In the past there were unemployed gates with reduced prices and with poverty in this area at such a high level it could be an idea to reinstate it.Ross County this week let the punters into their game against Hamilton for free and tripled the expected attendance. 
Frank Meade is coming from Albion Rovers who in the past experimented with free gates and it is something Dumbarton must think about for future meaningless games. No matter what unless prices are reduced attendances will keep on falling. Remember this is Dumbarton one of the most deprived areas in Scotland.If you want bums on seats then charge prices that people can afford 

Attendances arnt falling

If that's the case then it's utterly tragic planning.

Give 100 folk a great deal for a quick fix, then we'll make it up by fleecing every other c**t.

I was one of the fans that benefited from the £200 early bird offer. As a gesture of goodwill I am happy to donate the remaining £70 back to the club. Do we have a managers fund that will allow me to do this so the money is guaranteed to go straight to the player budget? Oh wait we don't and I was ridiculed on here by some for suggesting such.

Does anyone think this might be a good idea? I have at least 8 season ticket holding pals that I'm going to suggest do the same.

14 minutes ago, sons'r'us said:

I was one of the fans that benefited from the £200 early bird offer. As a gesture of goodwill I am happy to donate the remaining £70 back to the club. Do we have a managers fund that will allow me to do this so the money is guaranteed to go straight to the player budget? Oh wait we don't and I was ridiculed on here by some for suggesting such.

Does anyone think this might be a good idea? I have at least 8 season ticket holding pals that I'm going to suggest do the same.

As was pointed out the last time, there is nothing stopping you donating that to the club anyway.

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

£20 is a ridiculous amount to pay for any game of football at this level! It's the same around the country though so I suppose we are just joining in.

It's not really "the same around the country" though; £20 is higher than the comfortable majority of clubs in the division charge, for what is in all likelihood going to be a lower-end product. 

As was pointed out the last time, there is nothing stopping you donating that to the club anyway.

Aye but i would rather the opportunity to donate money that is not subject to tax and that was going direct to players budget. The very reason many smaller clubs have a similar scheme. Anyway I'm not going into that argument again.

I was just pointing out that I would like to donate the money I saved and I would hope that many like minded fans who can afford to would do the same. Having a ring fenced managers fund would be an excellent way of doing this.

Btw for your information I tried to donate money ( saving from my early bird season ticket) a couple of years ago and the chairman refused it.

2 minutes ago, sons'r'us said:

Aye but i would rather the opportunity to donate money that is not subject to tax and that was going direct to players budget. The very reason many smaller clubs have a similar scheme. Anyway I'm not going into that argument again.

I was just pointing out that I would like to donate the money I saved and I would hope that many like minded fans who can afford to would do the same. Having a ring fenced managers fund would be an excellent way of doing this.

Btw for your information I tried to donate money ( saving from my early bird season ticket) a couple of years ago and the chairman refused it.

Fair enough. We've got a new Chairman now, go down and see if he's any different :P

4 minutes ago, sons'r'us said:

Aye but i would rather the opportunity to donate money that is not subject to tax and that was going direct to players budget. The very reason many smaller clubs have a similar scheme.

How would tbe money be any more or less subject to tax regardless of how you donate it?

How would tbe money be any more or less subject to tax regardless of how you donate it?

You're kind of missing the point I'm trying to make. We don't really have a system readily available geared up to take donations. Having a simple system such as a managers fund with controls over it safeguards the donation somewhat.

The tax thing a wee bit of a red herring. However paying £270 for my season ticket would have been subject to tax. Whereas paying £200 and donating £70 means only the £200 Is taxed. Which wasn't really the point but works better in my head that I'm trying to benefit the club by giving my early bird discount back to them.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Attendances arnt falling

And we've never been beaten in European competition by Anderlecht - like your statement above it's factually accurate but utterly meaningless.

Will you therefore agree to my assertion that home support is disappearing rapidly, or explain why I'm mistaken ?

9 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Just looked back and the early bird price has rocketed from £225 and £235 to £260.

The full season ticket without the early bird discount was £250 for 16/17. That is now £270 for 17/18.

Thats absolutely awful and for me personally it's becoming harder to justify such expense.

I got my season ticket earlier when they had the first sales. It works out at £11 for me and my boy per match. Which is great value, I'm glad I didn't hang about to pay these prices.

I got my season ticket earlier when they had the first sales. It works out at £11 for me and my boy per match. Which is great value, I'm glad I didn't hang about to pay these prices.

Aye, starting to wish I had prepared myself better and been in a better position to purchase my season ticket when you did.

Unfortunately I had planned ahead for the purchase to take place in June. In the nicest way possible they can ram it up their farters and I'll pay the utterly vile 20 quid walk up price when I'm free througout the season.

Just now, Tam Carson is my No 1 said:

Free entry to games like Brechin. Get an atmosphere at games where there won't be. Brechin wouldn't bring many if promoted.

Funny you should say that, I've just seen on the Alloa thread that they've handed out tickets at schools to get kids in for free with a paying adult. That's a smashing idea, especially for such a big game. Memories from that are the sort of thing that hook fans.

I'm always trying to get my dad and my mates to come to some games, got laughed at when I told them it's £18, just going to get harder now!

Understand we need to get in as much money as possible, but that's ripping it a bit.

1 hour ago, sons'r'us said:

You're kind of missing the point I'm trying to make. We don't really have a system readily available geared up to take donations. Having a simple system such as a managers fund with controls over it safeguards the donation somewhat.

The tax thing a wee bit of a red herring. However paying £270 for my season ticket would have been subject to tax. Whereas paying £200 and donating £70 means only the £200 Is taxed. Which wasn't really the point but works better in my head that I'm trying to benefit the club by giving my early bird discount back to them.

I didnt miss your point, I picked up on a different point. When you said "tax" did you mean "vat"? If you did then you are right. I took it you meant corporation tax though. Its debatable whether income donated to a football club is taxable or not but fairly unlikely football clubs are paying any tax anyway. Most of them are loss making or have tax losses brought forward to offset profits against.

Edited by Skyline Drifter