Sons' sorrow

I'd start with:

Do we know every single detail about them? No, but do we need to?

Events within Scottish football over the past few years must surely show you that we absolutely need to know more about the owners.

As for your suggestion of commercial opportunities, we don't need a 4000 capacity ground and I'd question whether or not there would be sufficient demand for conference facilities to ever make money from them in West Dunbartonshire? Then theres access to the ground itself.

I would be under the impression that the board, in which the Sons trust has a rep on would know who the people are that are involved with BRABCO.

Our owners have been in charge for about 5 years. Leave the daily running of the club to the local directors and have backed the club financially, unless someone can show other wise.

If the board are wanting in the long term to advance the club by potentially going full time ( long term goal) in which the top flight may be possible then yes I would say we need a 4000 seater/ the ability to expand. I believe with the surrounding area we have we should be able to attract more people. The million dollar questions is how do we do that but that's for another debate.

The conference room idea was just that, an idea. The new stadium if it had an all weather pitch could potentially have other changing facilities in it.

Lastly this debate seems to be built mostly on rumours and people not knowing the full facts re if planning permission has been sought why is it being sought is it to move or just a fact finding mission.

Edited by Sons Fan

Widening the debate here Sons Fan as you seem to be well informed. Are you serious, really serious in thinking that Dumbarton FC can sustain full--time football? Are you basing your claim on a new stadium potentially holding 4000 (where did you get that figure from incidentally?) which would need to be at least half full every other Saturday?

Widening the debate here Sons Fan as you seem to be well informed. Are you serious, really serious in thinking that Dumbarton FC can sustain full--time football? Are you basing your claim on a new stadium potentially holding 4000 (where did you get that figure from incidentally?) which would need to be at least half full every other Saturday?

Did anyone say that? We can't and anyone who suggests otherwise is deluded.

Which part?
Why did we move from capacity from a circa 5,000 (forgiving safety issues) stadium to a nice and safe comfy 2,000 seater stadium that comfortably houses our support? Because it makes absolute sense. We don't have thousands flocking to see us, we've had a good 5 years and risen up the leagues to a place we've not been in a good while but that's no reason to start talking about building Premiership stadiums that will do nothing but house a good away crowd in the cup and provide a home for the increasing seagull population of Dumbarton. Let's have some realism here.
Some big assumptions being made here, mainly on the initial intentions of the owners and their endgame.I d qccept theres been ownership issues at other clubs, but cant think of a single one where the new owner didnt parade in with the big sell.I like the romantic notion that brabco are dumbarton fans who can see a means to progress the club and make a profit at the same time.
If they are Sons fans and are interested in progressing the club, why have they never made themselves known? They took control of the club wearing Harry Potters invisibility cloak and we're taking the success on the pitch as an indication of their intentions.

Can Dumbarton at this point in time sustain FT football on the crowds we get. No not at all. I picked the 4000 number while making dinner. Based on the fact of a stadium like we have ATM each side of the pitch ( very scientific I know).

I believe we could increase our support but it seems we can't be bothered/don't want to. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

I base this on the size of population of Dumbarton and the surrounding areas. Also we took nearly 2000 to Celtic a couple of years ago and near 1000 to Aberdeen last week. Yes cup games again bigger opposition but the question is why do these people not come to home games?

- We have a guy who seems to be great at running the club but is the kill joy on a Saturday it seems you breathe the wrong way and he's up out if his seat.

- We don't do enough to attract youngsters.

- We don't market ourself very well. Drive, walk or take public transport through Dumbarton/ surrounding area and you wouldn't know there's a 1 st div team in the town.

Before we think about FT football this would need to be looked at.

Why did we move from capacity from a circa 5,000 (forgiving safety issues) stadium to a nice and safe comfy 2,000 seater stadium that comfortably houses our support? Because it makes absolute sense. We don't have thousands flocking to see us, we've had a good 5 years and risen up the leagues to a place we've not been in a good while but that's no reason to start talking about building Premiership stadiums that will do nothing but house a good away crowd in the cup and provide a home for the increasing seagull population of Dumbarton. Let's have some realism here.If they are Sons fans and are interested in progressing the club, why have they never made themselves known? They took control of the club wearing Harry Potters invisibility cloak and we're taking the success on the pitch as an indication of their intentions.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but did we not move grounds because a housing developer came along and said I want you land if we help find you another place to play and give you X then will you go. We were put down at the Rock which at that point in time was a waste ground because there was room to expand and put another stand, if needed on the other side?

Times have now obviously changed houses have popped up and we are limited in what we can do.

Don't get me wrong I think we should be staying put. Unless someone comes along and makes it financially worth while for the club.

Edited by Sons Fan

Give us your marketing strategy Sons fan. How do we change the mentality of the local football community?

Haha my friend I'm no marketing genius so probs not best to take my advice. But it's a sat night and I'm waiting for MOTD ( exciting night I know).

Kids go free with an adult. Get them hooked young and they will be likelier to stay.

Get out to local school and offer them free tickets. Same reasons as point above.

Partner with the local council to put up signage to highlight the team.

Same with scotrail. While we are at the rock. A sign at Dumbarton East saying alight here for Dumbarton football club may entice some people down.

Local supermarkets your guess is as good as mine with how many people they have through there doors. Have a sign with next home game etc.

Not saying any of these will bring in the masses but surely would attract more.

Obvious one but trying to maintain the kind of team and there style of play we have ATM. How many people will go into work on Monday, talk about the footy and go Christ you should see our first goal from sat. Get some interested then they might come down to to take in a game.

Yes, Sons Fan is claiming it is the 'long term goal' of the club, facilitated it seems by a new stadium. Yes, he is deluded, agreed.

Sorry what I said was 4000 seater/ the ability to expand. And said IF it's the long term goal. I'm just putting my point of view across. You may disagree and that's fine as it's a debate. I don't think there's a need to say I'm deluded. But hey maybe I'm wrong

Sorry what I said was 4000 seater/ the ability to expand. And said IF it's the long term goal. I'm just putting my point of view across. You may disagree and that's fine as it's a debate. I don't think there's a need to say I'm deluded. But hey maybe I'm wrong

Why can't any expansion to the current stadium happen? Not that it's needed of course, but why not?

No, we absolutely cannot, nor ever will be able to, sustain full-time football.

Can Dumbarton at this point in time sustain FT football on the crowds we get. No not at all. I picked the 4000 number while making dinner. Based on the fact of a stadium like we have ATM each side of the pitch ( very scientific I know).

I believe we could increase our support but it seems we can't be bothered/don't want to. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

I base this on the size of population of Dumbarton and the surrounding areas. Also we took nearly 2000 to Celtic a couple of years ago and near 1000 to Aberdeen last week. Yes cup games again bigger opposition but the question is why do these people not come to home games?

- We have a guy who seems to be great at running the club but is the kill joy on a Saturday it seems you breathe the wrong way and he's up out if his seat.

- We don't do enough to attract youngsters.

- We don't market ourself very well. Drive, walk or take public transport through Dumbarton/ surrounding area and you wouldn't know there's a 1 st div team in the town.

Before we think about FT football this would need to be looked at.

Fucking drivel. The people who come along to "big" cup games are not only lapsed Sons fans, but also their wives, husbands, friends, colleagues, well-wishers and assorted people from the town, as displayed by our game last week against Aberdeen when bus 4 had a load of Old Firm supporters on, who just happened to be from Dumbarton. Forget what occasional cup games generate in terms of crowds, only league averages matter, and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. You can't build a stadium based on something as ethereal and hard to define as cup crowds.

Why can't any expansion to the current stadium happen? Not that it's needed of course, but why not?

Apparently (according to someone on here) the club have enquired about planning for temporary expansion and been rebuffed by the council. Not that it matters anyway, because we are not a sleeping giant and we do not require a bigger stadium than that which we currently have.

erm not sure if it was in this thread or another but people were posting saying that the club had looked into/ applied for permission to erect a temporary stand next season due to Hearts and Rangers being in the league and it being rejected due to parking and access concerns. Now if this is the case for temporary stands then I'm guessing these same rejections would be made for a permanent stand at the Rock.

erm not sure if it was in this thread or another but people were posting saying that the club had looked into/ applied for permission to erect a temporary stand next season due to Hearts and Rangers being in the league and it being rejected due to parking and access concerns. Now if this is the case for temporary stands then I'm guessing these same rejections would be made for a permanent stand at the Rock.

It was in this thread, yes, but the point is that we don't need them anyway. Realistically we're not going to be in the same league as Rangers and Hearts for very long and, as I said earlier in the thread, that is no reason to go extending the stadium.

Fucking drivel. The people who come along to "big" cup games are not only lapsed Sons fans, but also their wives, husbands, friends, colleagues, well-wishers and assorted people from the town, as displayed by our game last week against Aberdeen when bus 4 had a load of Old Firm supporters on, who just happened to be from Dumbarton. Forget what occasional cup games generate in terms of crowds, only league averages matter, and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. You can't build a stadium based on something as ethereal and hard to define as cup crowds.

Again because I state a different argument to you doesn't mean its "fucking drivel" It seems your opinion and please correct me if I'm wrong here is the club is the size it is and it won't get any bigger. Thats fine. My opinion is that we could attract more fans if done right.

Edited by Sons Fan

Again because I state a different argument to you doesn't mean its "fucking drivel" It seems your opinion and please correct me if I'm wrong here is the club is the size it is and it won't get any bigger. Thats fine. My opinion is that we could attract more fans if done right.

We already market the club as much as we can for a club and town our size. Your assumption is based on the idea that we aren't doing enough to attract floating soccer fans to the ground, when that simply isn't the case and frankly the idea of a silent body of untapped football supporters just waiting to be courted is ridiculous.

If they are Sons fans and are interested in progressing the club, why have they never made themselves known? They took control of the club wearing Harry Potters invisibility cloak and we're taking the success on the pitch as an indication of their intentions.

hmm. Are you not taking their anonymity and the rumoured new stadium as an indication? but ignoring the progress on the pitch and the general good health of the club?

We already market the club as much as we can for a club and town our size. Your assumption is based on the idea that we aren't doing enough to attract floating soccer fans to the ground, when that simply isn't the case and frankly the idea of a silent body of untapped football supporters just waiting to be courted is ridiculous.

Ok In your opinion we do. I still think theres more but ok