Sons' sorrow

Former Dumbarton player Freddie Glidden has died aged 91. Glidden played for Dumbarton between 1959-1962 racking up 97 appearances. Prior to this he spent 12 years with Hearts winning a league title, scottish cup & two league cups.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/hearts-scottish-cup-winning-skipper-freddie-glidden-dies-aged-91-1-4851153

Edited by GNU_Linux

27 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

@Ross Forbes has he ever displayed any kind of leadership characteristics or on field organisational skills?

I can't say he was the most vocal, or struck me as a captain type, but he was part of a very vocal back four (or five actually) so that might explain why. Commonly he played at right-back, with Gregor Buchanan and Frazer Wright in the middle, Mark Docherty on the left and Darren Barr just ahead of them. 

Just to continue our own transfer chat, Mark Russell appears to have been emptied by Falkirk - and was Duffy's first choice at left-back when Morton were down here. I reckon he'll have his sights set elsewhere, but given our issues in that very position I couldn't not mention it.

Stefan McCluskey (a player Duffy's signed twice) has followed us on Twitter fairly recently too and, according to Wikipedia, is looking at getting back into senior football. He's with Pollok at the moment.

Jai Quitongo leaves Partick. I expect to see him holding a Sons scarf above his head before the day is out.
Who were the last father/son combo to play For us? The Ronalds are the most recent I can think of.

Eta I'm pretty sure they were.

Welcome to the latest edition of Dumbarton we’re just as bad a hundred years ago.

On January 4th 1919 the Sons were at Brockville park where true to form they lost 5-1 to Falkirk. There was just one Scottish division in those days as the war had just ended but the league had started before the amnesty. There were 18 teams in the league and the loss to Falkirk left them in seventeenth place with only Hibs beneath them.

Scorer for the Sons in front of a five thousand crowd was McDermid but more interestingly the scorer of a brace for Falkirk was Sid Puddefoot. Sid was a top player for West Ham but had been sent to Scotland for war service where he guested for Falkirk. Puddefoot would later play for England but was to be signed in 1922 from West Ham by Falkirk for a world record fee of five thousand pounds.

In this week the SFA banned players from earning more than1 pound a week in bonus payments as they wanted all players to have a proper job and not earn a living for just playing football.

Elsewhere Clydebank who were also in the league lost 3-0 to Morton at Clydeholm Park in front of 9000 people. In the Western cup Vale of Leven beat Johnstone 1-0 and in the Dunbartonshire Cup Dumbarton Harp beat Renton 3-1

Welcome to the latest edition of Dumbarton we’re just as bad a hundred years ago.
On January 4th 1919 the Sons were at Brockville park where true to form they lost 5-1 to Falkirk. There was just one Scottish division in those days as the war had just ended but the league had started before the amnesty. There were 18 teams in the league and the loss to Falkirk left them in seventeenth place with only Hibs beneath them.
Scorer for the Sons in front of a five thousand crowd was McDermid but more interestingly the scorer of a brace for Falkirk was Sid Puddefoot. Sid was a top player for West Ham but had been sent to Scotland for war service where he guested for Falkirk. Puddefoot would later play for England but was to be signed in 1922 from West Ham by Falkirk for a world record fee of five thousand pounds.
In this week the SFA banned players from earning more than1 pound a week in bonus payments as they wanted all players to have a proper job and not earn a living for just playing football.
Elsewhere Clydebank who were also in the league lost 3-0 to Morton at Clydeholm Park in front of 9000 people. In the Western cup Vale of Leven beat Johnstone 1-0 and in the Dunbartonshire Cup Dumbarton Harp beat Renton 3-1
I've had an idea. If we can't shuffle the pack this transfer window why don't we switch the club off and back on again to see if we get a better connection ?

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
1 hour ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

I've had an idea. If we can't shuffle the pack this transfer window why don't we switch the club off and back on again to see if we get a better connection ?

image.png.5ec61614c8eea9d71a89e19721efb897.pngimage.png.4d6f92d7685964d3b70163a79f583c1d.png

16 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

A quick look on transfermarkt.com shows that there isn't many free agents kicking about that would maybe be worth it. Bob Harris is a name there tho, he would solve the LB issue surely? Apparently been out of contract since the summer?

Whisper it.

Andy Little interview if you've nothing better to do before opening time.
Linky
Had a read at that earlier.

It really is incredible that we signed guys like Little. He hasn't really done anything of note for a number of years, has been crippled by injuries, clearly wasn't fit and has now retired at 29 due to having no interest in playing football anymore. It's quite literally the last type of player you'd sign for a promotion playoff charge.

19 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

Andy Little interview if you've nothing better to do before opening time.

Linky

Of all Aitken's signings, Little was one of the strangest. The guy had barely played any football at all in about four seasons. 

I've got plenty of time for him though. You could tell he was a decent player, just very broken, and he put in some good performances at right-back. He comes across as decent guy, and it's hard not to feel for him in that article. In quite a short period of time he went from scoring for his boyhood club in an Old Firm and being a full international, to being a crippled lower league journeyman who struggled to manage more than 15 minutes a month without facing time out. It must've been very tough.

It says a lot that he realised that he wasn't enjoying it anymore and couldn't contribute much, and chose to rip up his deal early. I can't help but feel as if a few members of the current squad are in a similar boat, but likely won't walk away from the cash.

Good luck to him.

When is the last time we had a meet the manager out of interest? I'd be interested in hearing what plans Duffy has in place for his time at the club and what he hopes to achieve.

We really haven't heard much from him at all since he joined bar the initial interview and two post match interviews (which conveniently happened after the two pumpings we dished out).

This is the first transfer window for a long time where I have absolutely no idea what we might do or who we might sign and that's mostly down to having not heard a peep from the gaffer since he joined. I'm getting a bit of a weird vibe about the whole thing.

Here's hoping Jim can do at least some business this month and maybe even give us a wee interview or update on the OS.

12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

When is the last time we had a meet the manager out of interest? I'd be interested in hearing what plans Duffy has in place for his time at the club and what he hopes to achieve.

We really haven't heard much from him at all since he joined bar the initial interview and two post match interviews (which conveniently happened after the two pumpings we dished out).

This is the first transfer window for a long time where I have absolutely no idea what we might do or who we might sign and that's mostly down to having not heard a peep from the gaffer since he joined. I'm getting a bit of a weird vibe about the whole thing.

Here's hoping Jim can do at least some business this month and maybe even give us a wee interview or update on the OS.

At Morton, Duffy's approach in the transfer windows was so frustrating. He'd regularly just say "we'll wait and see" and then the window closes and we've signed no one. He loves dishing out a random 6 month contract to some absolute diddy, normally in the summer though. 

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

At Morton, Duffy's approach in the transfer windows was so frustrating. He'd regularly just say "we'll wait and see" and then the window closes and we've signed no one. He loves dishing out a random 6 month contract to some absolute diddy, normally in the summer though. 

Well that puts me in a right good mood.

We've gone from Aitken dishing out contracts to anyone, to Duffy not signing anyone :lol: