Sons' sorrow

It's a shame it never really worked out for Stef. He started brightly enough, faded pretty quickly. Got injured and then was just getting himself back fit when lockdown hit. He waits seven months to get back playing and immediately gets another nasty injury. His workrate and effort were top class and he's a really decent guy. It just never really happened on the park for him in a Sons shirt.

I'm praying him leaving will free up some cash for a new signing or two. But Duffy has to get bodies in - and they need to have a bit of quality. At the moment we have a squad of 17. Church is injured, judging by his ankle picture Wardrop won't be available Tuesday night and Rico missed Saturday with a thigh strain. That takes us right down to 14 - two of whom are keepers...Both of whom, arguably, aren't good enough to be number ones.

Playing Sat-Tue-Thu-Sat with a squad of, effectively, 12 outfield players isn't even worth considering. And that's before you bring in any other injuries, suspensions or players being unavailable for other reasons.

Over to you, Duff.

19 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Playing Sat-Tue-Thu-Sat with a squad of, effectively, 12 outfield players isn't even worth considering. And that's before you bring in any other injuries, suspensions or players being unavailable for other reasons.

Over to you, Duff.

1st Dumbarton BB are on standby to loan their players.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Whats the signing deadline for the Huntley game?

Can see us going with what we've got for tomorrow, hoping that we get through and can budget a wee bit extra for signings ahead of the next league game.

It's sad we're sat here with the bare bones "hoping" we beat Huntly. Defeat would surely be the end of Duffy, I'd say it'd be worse than the Bonnyrigg result. 

32 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's sad we're sat here with the bare bones "hoping" we beat Huntly. Defeat would surely be the end of Duffy, I'd say it'd be worse than the Bonnyrigg result. 

I've seen Huntly a few times over the years and they aren't a bad side. Offensively they can create chances and have pace going forward but they are poor at the back.

Certainly not as strong as they were back in the mid nineties when they won 5 straight HL championships.

Good luck Sons 👍

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned about tomorrow’s game. The squad is a mess and deep down the players must know it, I just don’t know how this sort of thing will mentally affect them. I can’t imagine morale is high after Saturday’s defeat and knowing we are embroiled in a relegation battle with a threadbare squad must be playing on their minds. 

To win games you need to score goals, something we are extremely bad at. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Huntly managed to grind out a 0-0 draw. If we can’t win tomorrow, jeapordising a bit of income in the process, Duffy is completey finished IMO.

I'm struggling to build enough enthusiasm to order this one. Its not the money. I'd even consider giving the club my tenner and not watching it. There's just absolutely no enjoyment in watching us right now. Horrible feeling that I'd sit down to watch it and end up regretting a wasted 90 minutes come 9:40 tonight.

Connor Duthie is a right-sided player who can be fielded anywhere down the flank, from full-back to winger and everything in between!

He's a frustrating player - when he's galloping forward with the ball, he really is a sight to behold and he's really good at beating a man and taking it up the park, but his final ball can be poor and crosses are mishit or shanked out of play. Good to see him back in business, this must be the first time he'll have kicked a ball in almost two years.

I hope he does you a turn!

15 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Connor Duthie is a right-sided player who can be fielded anywhere down the flank, from full-back to winger and everything in between!

He's a frustrating player - when he's galloping forward with the ball, he really is a sight to behold and he's really good at beating a man and taking it up the park, but his final ball can be poor and crosses are mishit or shanked out of play. Good to see him back in business, this must be the first time he'll have kicked a ball in almost two years.

We are desperately lacking wide players so I’d like to think he’ll be mostly used as a winger. We also seriously lack a bit of pace so that particular attribute will be most welcome, I just hope he hasn’t lost that after 2 years out of the game.

Duffy will probably play him at centre mid.

37 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Duffy will probably play him at centre mid.

Did he not bring him on in central midfield on Saturday?

Encouraging that he's apparently a wide player, we're crying out for someone to run at c***s. Hotbox in the dressing room if he scores the winner tonight.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

That sounds about right.

Can’t see anything other than tonight being a real struggle, given our inability to score. Huntly will be right up for it with the prospect of Aberdeen in the next round.

He actually sounds like one of Duffy's better signings potentially. (If we discount he 2 years out of the game part.)

I would kill to have a player who can beat a man out wide in our team. We have been crying out for that all season. None of our current squad are really capable of that.

I really miss Sam Stanton's mazy runs through midfield. Not expecting anything nearly as good but it would be nice to see someone beat an opposition player for pace and skill.