Sons' sorrow

When that went in , I was so stunned that I simply stood up and shouted "What a fucking goal!"  The best goal I've ever seen in the flesh.

Got to say the one against the tns, I was right behind it, thinking aah feck, then the net rippled, I can still hear the noise from it. Scenes

22 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

He would never get a work permit.

He has two international caps and has played (albeit a limited amount) in the top league in Greece and in UEFA competitions. 

You'd probably be able to prove "exceptional talent" if that's still the qualification.

Anyway I wouldn't take him back. He's left his legacy. He now needs to go to another 18 clubs before owning a nightclub in Ayia Napa or something.

Got to say the one against the tns, I was right behind it, thinking aah feck, then the net rippled, I can still hear the noise from it. Scenes
I was also behind the goal and although it was tremendous, the technique behind the goal at eep was outrageous. He was almost running away from the goal and to get the power and accuracy needed to score from there was astounding. He had no right to shoot from there let alone score.

One good thing about both goals is that they'll be online forever. For those too young, we only have other people's recollection of Roy McCormack's goal or Colin McAdam scoring from inside his own half.

Speaking of exceptional Dumbarton goals seen in the flesh;

Denis McLaughlin scoring from just over the halfway line at the Rock in a midweek evening game against Shire was superb. My memory is that he hit it first time, but I think it was in the days before the video records, so can't be sure.

Also a midweek evening game at the Rock, Bobby Mann who was playing centre half for the opposition (I want to say Montrose or Forfar), scored from almost the length of the pitch as the Dumbarton keeper was off his line.

23 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Speaking of exceptional Dumbarton goals seen in the flesh;

Denis McLaughlin scoring from just over the halfway line at the Rock in a midweek evening game against Shire was superb. My memory is that he hit it first time, but I think it was in the days before the video records, so can't be sure.

Also a midweek evening game at the Rock, Bobby Mann who was playing centre half for the opposition (I want to say Montrose or Forfar), scored from almost the length of the pitch as the Dumbarton keeper was off his line.

Was Bobby Mann's effort not a Saturday? It was Jan Vojacek in goal. 

It was absolutely shocking goalkeeping if my memory serves me right. I swear Jan was basically standing on his line for the full flight of the shot inside the opposition half. Ended up just flapping it into the net.

On 24/06/2021 at 14:36, gav-ffc said:

Always been a centre back from my recollection which may be part of the issue.

Mind seeing him as a 16 y/o for our development team and he definitely had potential.

Definitely a centre back, saw him play for a Motherwell colts team and he was dodgy to say the least. 

Edited by FFC 1876

11 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He has two international caps and has played (albeit a limited amount) in the top league in Greece and in UEFA competitions. 

You'd probably be able to prove "exceptional talent" if that's still the qualification.

Anyway I wouldn't take him back. He's left his legacy. He now needs to go to another 18 clubs before owning a nightclub in Ayia Napa or something.

He's  Cypriot. His international team doesnt rank highly enough for him to gain a work permit, he hasn't played enough international football and there's no way that a Scottish lower league side is going to be proving exceptional talent. He'd maybe qualify for one via employment outside of football if he could meet the minimum earnings threshold for work permits post-Brexit. Its one of the reasons why the takeover surprised me. It's going to be difficult to get foreign players sorted with work permits unless they have good international records with rated sides or they can claim some kind of exceptional talent. 

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It was a Saturday. Horrible weather conditions and Dr Jan was well out of his 18 yard box. Boaby Mann had the ball just about our half way line, saw the keeper well out of position and hit a hopeful effort - very much wind assisted - that the keeper couldn't get back to save.

4 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

He's  Cypriot. His international team doesnt rank highly enough for him to gain a work permit, he hasn't played enough international football and there's no way that a Scottish lower league side is going to be proving exceptional talent. He'd maybe qualify for one via employment outside of football if he could meet the minimum earnings threshold for work permits post-Brexit. Its one of the reasons why the takeover surprised me. It's going to be difficult to get foreign players sorted with work permits unless they have good international records with rated sides or they can claim some kind of exceptional talent. 

I think its becoming more apparent with each passing day that these apparent foreign stars and world contacts are a complete figment of some Norwegian fella's imagination. I'll bet they have hee haw contacts and we won't see a single player signed through them. 

Edited by The Moonster

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think its becoming more apparent with each passing day that these apparent foreign stars and world contacts are a complete figment or some Norwegian fella's imagination. I'll bet they have hee haw contacts and we won't see a single player signed through them. 

We need to see some communication from the owners. What they ultimately want to achieve only works with a massive change in the way that the community sees Dumbarton FC. That change starts by reaching out to the fans through the Sons Trust, building a relationship with the local football club board and starting to change opinion within the council and the wider community. Saying nothing doesnt help them get planning permission at Youngs Farm (if that's their preferred location). They've got a simple choice here - learn from the mistakes Brabco made or repeat them.