Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, headthebaw said:

We should get a result against Elgin tomorrow but Forfar on Saturday will be difficult. They need to secure a playoff place.

47 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I think we might reasonably assume that we'll deliver our end of the bargain. The bigger question is whether Stirling can go up to Forfar and win.

It’s East Fife at home for us on Saturday. Already played Forfar twice away this season. 

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

No probs with that, but make sure you direct it at the directors box as the Sons fans were just as pissed off as you, and several had wasted journeys.

I'm not in that category of fan to be directing anything at the Sons supporters, just looking forward to the game regardless if it's a title decider or not.

1 hour ago, headthebaw said:

We should get a result against Elgin tomorrow but Forfar on Saturday will be difficult. They need to secure a playoff place.

55 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I think we might reasonably assume that we'll deliver our end of the bargain. The bigger question is whether Stirling can go up to Forfar and win.

We play East Fife on Saturday......am I missing something here?

17 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

By my arithmetic if we draw or lose at Annan and Stirling win their two games this week then they can win the title by beating us at the Rock.  I hope I've got that wrong ☹️

No chance of that happening, 'cos

Game will be off 😉

A reminder to all Trust members that the AGM is on at the stadium tomorrow evening (Wednesday). Bar will be open and there will also be an option to join an online stream for those unable to attend, but I would encourage everyone who can attend in person to do so.

Just thinking. Since 2018 we've lost a cup final in injury time, been (effectively) relegated with the last kick of the ball in stoppage time. Been relegated again. And now, after leading a league from August until mid-March, the team who were our rivals for the title are on track to win it on our own patch.

Being a Sons fan is just like being punched in the balls repeatedly for your entire life.

In the first half of the season, we picked up 40 points which is 2.22 points per game. In the 12 games we've played since then, we've won 14 points which is 1.16 per game.

What's caused this slump?

The pitch started to be a hindrance from our first home game of 2023. 

Did teams figure out how to stop our counter attack and work out how to beat the defence?

The first game of the slump coincided with the signing of Russell McLean. I'm not blaming him personally(although it is tempting) but maybe constantly playing long balls just doesn't work. I'm not sure why I typed that out since it's been obvious for years that particular tactic is out of date in the modern game.

On current form, I don't see a way that we can win the play offs. 

32 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Just thinking. Since 2018 we've lost a cup final in injury time, been (effectively) relegated with the last kick of the ball in stoppage time. Been relegated again. And now, after leading a league from August until mid-March, the team who were our rivals for the title are on track to win it on our own patch.

Being a Sons fan is just like being punched in the balls repeatedly for your entire life.

Sorry Jan, but unjust as it may seem every one of these events had the deserved outcome.  As for leading the league this season did any of us truly believe we were watching title-winning performances with football to match ?

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

2 minutes ago, MrBeeno said:

The Binos were top of the table at one point but a string of postponements allowed Dumbarton to go top again after having played more games.

Incorrect. We lost the next Saturday and Dumbarton won.  Hence my arse unceremoniously ejected from the we're top of the league hoose after 1 week.

2 hours ago, microdave said:

Did teams figure out how to stop our counter attack and work out how to beat the defence?

From the outside looking in, I think that's a big part of it. For a team who've led the division for so long, I've been pretty unimpressed with Dumbarton. Maybe that's just needing a bit of time to re-adjust to a drop in level after a decent spell in League One but I suspect it's got a lot to do with Dumbarton being a relatively limited side who found a very effective way to play for for the first half of the season.

In our first two meetings, we tried to take the game to Dumbarton and got stung whilst, in the game at Bayview anyway, there looked to be nothing between the sides. In the third game, we effectively copied Dumbarton's tactics, played a solid 4-1-4-1 and looked to counter attack. And ended up winning fairly comfortably.