Sons' sorrow

Whilst there are other areas we need improvement in. I actually think this is a very good signing. If ewings is injured for the foreseeable a keeper is probably a priority as going into a season with 1 fit keeper, who a few of you don't rate, isn't a very good position to be in. If anything it provides competition for the no.1 jersey.

Regards the loan keeper that's due to end next week.

Seems to me like Martin could be our number 1. Even when Jazza is fit.

You can only imagine Brown is away or Jazza's injury is going to keep him out for longer than expected and Brown isn't trusted to be number 1. He's certainly done himself no favours throughout the pre-season/league cup schedule. I know he can be made a scapegoat at times and his shiteness can be over exaggerated but I've been massively unimpressed with him.

I don't think Brown was too bad during the cup "run" (or should that be cup stumble?). Certainly the free kick up at Dens was a bit of a howler (no doubting the finish but his positioning was terrible) but he certainly wasn't the worst on display. He's a reasonable shot stopper.

But he's certainly not value for money. Reasonable shouldn't be one of our reputed top earnings (no actual knowledge of his earnings beyond whats been discussed on here). If our budget is tight then we can only afford to spend on guys who will be difference makers.

He has never really staked a claim to be our undisputed number 1. Stevie stuck with him longer than he probably should have last season. 

I don't think Brown was too bad during the cup "run" (or should that be cup stumble?). Certainly the free kick up at Dens was a bit of a howler (no doubting the finish but his positioning was terrible) but he certainly wasn't the worst on display. He's a reasonable shot stopper.

But he's certainly not value for money. Reasonable shouldn't be one of our reputed top earnings (no actual knowledge of his earnings beyond whats been discussed on here). If our budget is tight then we can only afford to spend on guys who will be difference makers.

He has never really staked a claim to be our undisputed number 1. Stevie stuck with him longer than he probably should have last season. 

His shot stopping isn't bad but he is woeful at commanding his box and kicking a ball. The back 4 look like they have no confidence in him at all.

The thing that I noticed most was his body language, it just screams 'not arsed'. I was really expecting him to come out all guns blazing to make the no1 spot his own and he really didn't. I genuinely believe he's happy to pick up an easy wage and isn't bothered if he's on the bench or on the park.

Jazza's efforts last season is exactly what you should be doing to win a starting berth. Full of passion, right up for it and giving your back 4 confidence in you by commanding your box. Something I never thought I'd see from him.

Pleased that we've made signings at last. It's numbers at least, if nothing else.

I don't know anything about Daniel Harvie, but he comes highly rated it seems and he gives us another option in defence.

Like others, I'm surprised we've signed another goalkeeper. I saw Alan Martin play for Scotland youth sides a couple of times I'm sure and he was impressive then. I haven't seen him in a while, but he too seems to be rated by others as well.

I'd imagine Jazz is out for a while, although it does beg the question, what now for Mark Brown?

We have, what would look like a third choice goalkeeper, who, by several accounts will be eating up a good chunk of our budget, which we could do without.

Anyway, signings are a positive, and the fact they're reinforcements at the back shows Aitken has moved to shore up there given our atrocious pre-season, at the back particularly.