NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Fairly interesting Youtube vid that pretty much echoes exactly what I've been moaning about for yonks about the 2-High D concept. Most of the things he covers the Chargers are guilty of, including the pig-headed refusal to change the approach when it is clearly being torn apart with ridiculous ease. 

I think the advocates for this D have lost sight of some really fundamental but pertinent facts. The point of playing football is to win games. It sounds great if your D slows down Mahomes and co's bombs away style offenses, but if you still give up a fuckton of points and lose regardless, then your D has failed by definition. You can have all the moral victories you want, but if you give up 5.5 YPC, refuse to do anything but single cover guys like Davante Adams and watch them rattle up 300 yards over two division games, leave Travis Kelce 1v1 when KC is desperate for a TD, your D is exhausted, and you don't bother your arse to take away the guy who is always Mahomes' primary read,  you only finally accept you need to stack the box when garbage like the Falcons already have 150+ rushing yards on you, and you point blank refuse to address the fact that any run to the outside is an automatic first down because there literally is nobody to set the edge in your scheme, then you are failing as a coach, failing as a co-ordinator, and you are running a failed D scheme.

I think it's telling that the Chargers best two wins of the season have come without Derwin James on the field, because Staley seems to finally have swallowed his pride and realised that different offenses require different approaches. It's always been the case that if you hammer Tyreek Hill at the LoS and don't allow him an easy release, then he struggles much more than if you just let him run free through zones to find a soft spot. Staley had our CB's do this the weekend before last, and the Dolphins passing game looked hopelessly out of sync. This would not have happened earlier in the season, as he would have still been playing our CB's 5-10 yards off the LoS, as he was when he stupidly left Asante Samuel in MEG with Davante Adams for two entire games, and Adams came away with half a season's worth of yardage as a result.

I think the scheme is fundamentally flawed on a very basic level. It's become popular because it got away with doing what it was supposed to do for a short while, but it's been completely exposed for what it is, and I genuinely believe its a total flash-in-the-pan. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quyQ-N_cYM

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 22/12/2022 at 13:20, peasy23 said:

The Pro Bowl is a huge pile of shite fir the most part, as evidenced by the fact that CMC didn't make the NFC team.

It obviously means a lot to players to get in though, especially guys who have been grinding away trying to become a starter for years. Ron Rivera always comes across as one of the nicest guys in football.

It also gives some of the poorer paid players an increased salary and I am sure they get about $60k for making the Pro Bowl

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

I dont think anyone would've predicted it would this spectacularly bad. 

_20221226_171324.JPG

If you see my post in the week 16 thread, I'm struggling to think of a QB move which has gone any worse in the time I've watched NFL. It obviously isn't all Wilson's fault, but the two early picks that put them in a very deep hole in the first quarter were all down to him. 

Edited by peasy23

Can’t believe just how badly this season has gone for Denver. It was a given that at least one team in the AFCW would fail to live up to expectations, but while the Raiders have merely been a disappointment, the Broncos have been a complete embarrassment.

It seems like Paton will be safe as GM, which would also suggest they’ll give Wilson another year to see if he has any more success under a different coaching scheme. Not that there’s really much alternative unless they want to eat $100m in dead cap - but unless they hire a miracle worker at HC there’s probably not much difference in the two options anyway…

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

When you flung all this at getting your QB then you really have to give him another season.

https://twitter.com/MatthewBerryTMR/status/1607171982092550144?t=cI2JDtpCRfVlIURQNteJLA&s=19

Denver still have the following draft picks - 1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6. Only thing missing is a 2nd round pick. No doubt there will be some ducking and diving and they’ll get more draft capital. Been reading some stories that GM George Paton didn’t want to do the Russell Wilson deal at all. He wanted Aaron Rodgers because of the Hackett link, and the fact Rodgers looked pissed-off with the Packers letting Adams go to Vegas. When Rogers changed his mind about moving, Denver’s mega-rich new owner Penner, told Paton to spunk the lot on Wilson, a genuine franchise QB, before someone else nabbed him. So the rumours are.

No matter, seems like Denver’s owners are already doing a fair ‘Jerry Jones interfering with team matters’ impersonation.

Edited by pozbaird

9 hours ago, peasy23 said:

DeMeco would be crazy going there. Completely disfunctional franchise, and utterly hamstrung for the next 5 years by the insane contract they've given to Russell Wilson.

On 26/12/2022 at 06:15, Swarley said:

I dont think anyone would've predicted it would this spectacularly bad. 

_20221226_171324.JPG

They hoped for the old Russ, what they have got, is an old Russ, looks done