NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Killing myself laughing at Matt Smith desperately trying to restrain himself from saying exactly what most Chargers fans think about Staley's D... on an official Chargers Youtube Video. Even then he doesn't particularly hold back, and goes into a bit more detail about just how ridiculously inept some of the planning and pre-snap was v's the Lions. Starts about 9-10 mins in if anyone is interested.

Did the ball carrier get injured?

No - not a "hip drop" tackle. Carry on.

Yes - definitely a "hip drop" tackle, everyone lose your shit, hysterically demand it's removed from the game even though there is no agreement on what it actually is, despite it apparently just magically appearing a couple of weeks ago in a sport that's been played for 100 years...

Yet again, when it's offensive players getting hurt everyone loses their minds, yet any offensive player who curls, drops, or shirks away from contact resulting in helmet to helmet after the defender has already begun the motion of making a form tackle... "wheep! personal foul!"... on the defender?

Did see one RB getting fined for leading with the helmet last week, which is a positive step, but still, if they are really concerned about player safety, then they need to fine QB's for throwing balls into coverage, WR's for trying to catch them, and OC's and coaches who design plays that put players at risk over the middle.

There was nothing with the game when only idiots and short, white, cheap WR's with a deathwish chased passes over the middle of the field. If you were concerned about health and injuries, you just didn't do it, and the reason it didn't happen is precisely because it was a recipe for getting your bell rung. So far the only solution they have come up with to solve this conundrum is to prohibit defenders from defending and penalise and fine them when they do actually do what they are paid to do, which is bloody odd considering it's a problem of offenses' doing.

You don't want tackled because you might get hurt? Go play bloody defense then.

Edited by Boo Khaki

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Did the ball carrier get injured?

No - not a "hip drop" tackle. Carry on.

Yes - definitely a "hip drop" tackle, everyone lose your shit, hysterically demand it's removed from the game even though there is no agreement on what it actually is, despite it apparently just magically appearing a couple of weeks ago in a sport that's been played for 100 years...

Yet again, when it's offensive players getting hurt everyone loses their minds, yet any offensive player who curls, drops, or shirks away from contact resulting in helmet to helmet after the defender has already begun the motion of making a form tackle... "wheep! personal foul!"... on the defender?

Did see one RB getting fined for leading with the helmet last week, which is a positive step, but still, if they are really concerned about player safety, then they need to fine QB's for throwing balls into coverage, WR's for trying to catch them, and OC's and coaches who design plays that put players at risk over the middle.

There was nothing with the game when only idiots and short, white, cheap WR's with a deathwish chased passes over the middle of the field. If you were concerned about health and injuries, you just didn't do it, and the reason it didn't happen is precisely because it was a recipe for getting your bell rung. So far the only solution they have come up with to solve this conundrum is to prohibit defenders from defending and penalise and fine them when they do actually do what they are paid to do, which is bloody odd considering it's a problem of offenses' doing.

You don't want tackled because you might get hurt? Go play bloody defense then.

Never mind flag football at the next Olympics, it will br flag football at the Superbowl by then. We are all Ryan Clark. It's obviously unfortunate that Andrews got hurt, but that's not a dirty tackle imo., and if you are banning that then there's about 50 flags per game.

Cheap-shotting sack of shit handed a 4 game ban -

The 'hit' on Dobbs was an absolute disgrace. Not the only Broncos defender to be leading with the crown in that game either. Strange how this starts as soon as Sean Payton sets foot in town when his Saints D was also notorious for cheap-shotting and diving at knees.

44 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Cheap-shotting sack of shit handed a 4 game ban -

The 'hit' on Dobbs was an absolute disgrace. Not the only Broncos defender to be leading with the crown in that game either. Strange how this starts as soon as Sean Payton sets foot in town when his Saints D was also notorious for cheap-shotting and diving at knees.

Thing is, it wasn't flagged at the time and the 3 points that the Broncos scored off the back of the fumble he caused effectively wins them the game.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Steelers have punted OC Matt Canada 

Certainly don't rate him very highly, bit I'm not entirely sure what difference it will make when Pickett regularly struggles to even see an open receiver, let alone find then with the ball.

Guest DannyBlue
23 hours ago, strichener said:

Colts waive Shaq (Darius) Leonard.  Didn't see that coming.

Same, I was surprised but reading the comments from Colts fans on The Athletic, they all said he's been appalling since his injury and apparently a bit of a troublemaker in the building. Can't help but feel though there is a decent chance he becomes one of those guys who signs late with a contender and ends up with a ring.

Not surprised to hear Drew Brees say he can't throw the ball right-handed any more. I suffered more or less the exact same combo of injuries Brees did back when I'd just turned 21. NHS gave me no physio whatsoever, and being young and stupid I didn't think to challenge that. Was weeks before I could even move my upper arm at all without crying out in pain, and I never regained anything close to full movement in the shoulder. I can't raise my right arm above my head, and doing any repetitive action that involves raising my hand causes severe pain within a few seconds. Throwing a ball is completely impossible.

It's a testament to how hard Brees worked that he was able to come back from that at all, and one of a multitude of reasons why I don't agree with people who bang on and on about how amazing the NHS is. Every single interaction I've had with the NHS has been entirely unsatisfactory and either failed to resolve the issue, or like in this case, left me with utterly needless long-term symptoms and consequences. 

Heard a good theory that Aaron Rodgers is shifting his projected comeback date about until the point he thinks the Jets will be mathematically out (realistically they already are).

Then he can say "well I came back from a torn achilles in record time but wasn't any point in playing". 

Part of me was hoping they'd still be in it and his voodoo science would be put to the test. 

Absolute penis of a man. 

34 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Heard a good theory that Aaron Rodgers is shifting his projected comeback date about until the point he thinks the Jets will be mathematically out (realistically they already are).

Then he can say "well I came back from a torn achilles in record time but wasn't any point in playing". 

Part of me was hoping they'd still be in it and his voodoo science would be put to the test. 

Absolute penis of a man. 

I've seen a few tweets mention that any doctor signing off a 39 year old as fully recovered 3 or 4 months after achilles surgery would be risking losing their licence.

Then of course there are some who even question whether he actually did tear his achilles.

Screenshot_20231124_023433_Chrome.jpg

Well there are degrees of hamstring and achilles tears. The footage of the injury certainly looked like a full tear, but unless his surgeon comes out and confirms exactly what it was I doubt we'll ever find out. 

I mean, I have seen articles describing the procedure he underwent and declaring it "revolutionary", so that's hardly keeping the procedure a secret, even if they aren't confirming that's what Rodgers had performed specifically.

Rodgers is a cockend, but I wouldn't put it past him to have genuinely thought a month or so ago that the Jets could hang around long enough to still be in things come December. They were 4-3 before they lost to the Chargers, and they've fallen off a cliff since then. The AFC is brutal, and I still think #7 seed may well have 11 wins.