NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

There are more and more talking heads on social media suggesting Bill Belichick to the Chargers is more or less a foregone conclusion after the end of this current season.

Personally, I think it's just mass hysteria, and the reality is one of them came up with the idea and the rest of them have just run with it, but I have been thinking quite a bit about how I feel about that possibility.

In order for it to happen, and for me to be happy about it, certain things need to happen, some more obvious than others :-

1. Pats have to either fire or mutually consent BB, because I don't see the Chargers getting involved in trading for an HC unless it's simply a grace trade where they punt something nominal like a 6th or 7th purely to take on the contract.

2. Chargers have to fire Staley. It seems inconceivable they would keep him around beyond 2023, but he is under contract for 2024 and the Chargers gave both of their previous hires 4 full seasons, not 3, and that was after they both completely underwhelmed in their 3rd year. As likely as is it most franchises would have binned Staley already, it genuinely is not a given that the Chargers will actually fire him, as ridiculous as that sounds.

3. Tom Telesco. I've been of the opinion that this clown has needed fired for at least 2-3 years, and I think there was a good case for binning him at the point the fired Anthony Lynn. Nothing he has done since has redeemed him any, and I don't think they can continue to allow him involvement in hiring a 4th Coaching staff given that the previous 3 have been abject failures. His drafting is mediocre at best, his players rarely get a 2nd contract, and the team is ridiculously lopsided in that they have half-a-dozen stars, yet next to no "2nd tier" guys making up most of the depth. It's shit or bust with the Chargers. Those stars totally carry the team, because behind them is a whole roster of complete and utter shite, and they get found out the moment one of those star players misses any time. It's not just a question of binning Telesco because he sucks, also -

4. What capacity would Belichick operate in? Coach & GM? No thank you. His drafting record is abysmal, and for some reason he appears to be completely incapable of identifying NFL capable offensive skill position players. I'd happily take a punt on BB as HC only because coaches with his winning % do not grow on trees, and the Chargers absolutely need an established, savvy vet coach who will sort fundamentals instead of yet another hotshot Co-ord who can X&O but can't HC worth a f**k. I take on board the arguments  that BB is nothing without Brady, and the statistics can not be argued with, however, this is against the backdrop of BB operating as GM throughout that entire period, and very few HC's are ever successful with absolute garbage at QB and next to no offensive talent. I'd have no real concerns with BB as HC if someone else was overseeing the acquisition of talent and providing that to him.

5. The Chargers current situation - Most Chargers fans understandably want Staley fired yesterday. They (the organisation) seem to be hot on Kellen Moore, so there is a lot of talk about "fire Staley and promote Moore to interim HC". I can see the argument for doing this right now, but, in the scenario where there is an incoming new HC at the end of the year, Moore is not going to accept a demotion back to OC after acting as HC. I think, if there is any truth whatsoever to the rumour, the Chargers will stick with Staley through week 18 and try to convince Moore to stay on as OC and work under BB, with a view to succeeding BB in a couple of years time. 

Still though, I think it's 95% likely baseless bullshit, and although I'll be furious, I will not be remotely surprised if it's announced some time between now and January that both Staley and Telesco will be back in 2024. This is genuinely the first time I've ever felt in agreement with the accusations that the Spanos family aren't serious about winning. Given the different optics and market in LA, if they do bring back the pair of idiots for yet another year of spinning the wheels then I think that would speak volumes.

On 24/11/2023 at 14:39, Boo Khaki said:

There are more and more talking heads on social media suggesting Bill Belichick to the Chargers is more or less a foregone conclusion after the end of this current season.

Personally, I think it's just mass hysteria, and the reality is one of them came up with the idea and the rest of them have just run with it, but I have been thinking quite a bit about how I feel about that possibility.

In order for it to happen, and for me to be happy about it, certain things need to happen, some more obvious than others :-

1. Pats have to either fire or mutually consent BB, because I don't see the Chargers getting involved in trading for an HC unless it's simply a grace trade where they punt something nominal like a 6th or 7th purely to take on the contract.

2. Chargers have to fire Staley. It seems inconceivable they would keep him around beyond 2023, but he is under contract for 2024 and the Chargers gave both of their previous hires 4 full seasons, not 3, and that was after they both completely underwhelmed in their 3rd year. As likely as is it most franchises would have binned Staley already, it genuinely is not a given that the Chargers will actually fire him, as ridiculous as that sounds.

3. Tom Telesco. I've been of the opinion that this clown has needed fired for at least 2-3 years, and I think there was a good case for binning him at the point the fired Anthony Lynn. Nothing he has done since has redeemed him any, and I don't think they can continue to allow him involvement in hiring a 4th Coaching staff given that the previous 3 have been abject failures. His drafting is mediocre at best, his players rarely get a 2nd contract, and the team is ridiculously lopsided in that they have half-a-dozen stars, yet next to no "2nd tier" guys making up most of the depth. It's shit or bust with the Chargers. Those stars totally carry the team, because behind them is a whole roster of complete and utter shite, and they get found out the moment one of those star players misses any time. It's not just a question of binning Telesco because he sucks, also -

4. What capacity would Belichick operate in? Coach & GM? No thank you. His drafting record is abysmal, and for some reason he appears to be completely incapable of identifying NFL capable offensive skill position players. I'd happily take a punt on BB as HC only because coaches with his winning % do not grow on trees, and the Chargers absolutely need an established, savvy vet coach who will sort fundamentals instead of yet another hotshot Co-ord who can X&O but can't HC worth a f**k. I take on board the arguments  that BB is nothing without Brady, and the statistics can not be argued with, however, this is against the backdrop of BB operating as GM throughout that entire period, and very few HC's are ever successful with absolute garbage at QB and next to no offensive talent. I'd have no real concerns with BB as HC if someone else was overseeing the acquisition of talent and providing that to him.

5. The Chargers current situation - Most Chargers fans understandably want Staley fired yesterday. They (the organisation) seem to be hot on Kellen Moore, so there is a lot of talk about "fire Staley and promote Moore to interim HC". I can see the argument for doing this right now, but, in the scenario where there is an incoming new HC at the end of the year, Moore is not going to accept a demotion back to OC after acting as HC. I think, if there is any truth whatsoever to the rumour, the Chargers will stick with Staley through week 18 and try to convince Moore to stay on as OC and work under BB, with a view to succeeding BB in a couple of years time. 

Still though, I think it's 95% likely baseless bullshit, and although I'll be furious, I will not be remotely surprised if it's announced some time between now and January that both Staley and Telesco will be back in 2024. This is genuinely the first time I've ever felt in agreement with the accusations that the Spanos family aren't serious about winning. Given the different optics and market in LA, if they do bring back the pair of idiots for yet another year of spinning the wheels then I think that would speak volumes.

There also appears to be a lot of “deal done” type rumours around Belichick to Washington next season.

That one feels more likely to me than the Chargers as a landing spot for Bill if he does leave NE.

21 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Worth remembering that Reich wanted to draft Stroud, the owner went for Young.

I doubt that it would have made any difference tbh because Carolina's O is absolute keek and I think most QB's would struggle in it. Young might still turn out to be a blown pick even if they sort out the stuff going on around him, but they're not really in any position to fix that quickly, and as I've mentioned here before, I didn't think Reich was a good HC appointment in the first place.

I don't think he would ever have turned the job down, but it was a bad situation before they took Young that was never going to be a one year turn-around, so I think there's plenty of blame all around and it's not just a case of Reich being a crap coach or Young being a blown pick.

47 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I doubt that it would have made any difference tbh because Carolina's O is absolute keek and I think most QB's would struggle in it. Young might still turn out to be a blown pick even if they sort out the stuff going on around him, but they're not really in any position to fix that quickly, and as I've mentioned here before, I didn't think Reich was a good HC appointment in the first place.

I don't think he would ever have turned the job down, but it was a bad situation before they took Young that was never going to be a one year turn-around, so I think there's plenty of blame all around and it's not just a case of Reich being a crap coach or Young being a blown pick.

Doesn't say much for the owner's judgement when he punts the head coach he appointed during his first season. Don't blame Reich for taking it, any out of work guy is going to jump at it.

Fwiw it appears QB coach Josh McCown an assistant HC/RB coach Duce Staley have also been emptied.

It's definitely an ownership issue. 

Wrong HC'ing appointment, wrong time to take a QB1 #1 overall, especially when you trade away all your other capital you could potentially use to help him just to move up, decline a monster offer for Brian Burns that would at least have given you the opportunity to add some help over the next couple of drafts, and then punt the same coach when he goes 1-11 with a 1-11 quality team.

There's a way to tank, and a way to rebuild, and the Panthers have it completely wrong.

Edited by Boo Khaki

No really understanding what the hoo-hah is tbh.

"We were supposed to trade to #2"

Well Houston held that pick. Even though they also held #3 I doubt they'd have been willing to trade the #2 to Carolina, knowing they wanted a QB, because Houston couldn't control what happened with #1 and could have found themselves sitting at #3 with both Young and Stroud gone. Getting #2 from Houston would more or less have forced the Texans to do a deal with Chicago, the Bears could have named their price, so I don't see why Houston would have entertained any trade overtures from Carolina when Houston were happy with either of the QB's, unless Carolina was going to offer something ridiculous, in which case Carolina is better just negotiating with Chicago for the #1 themselves.

"We thought we'd get Stroud because Houston would take Young"

Can only imagine he's talking about a scenario whereby if they didn't move for #1 themselves, then Houston would have done a deal to move up with Chicago and taken Young themselves.

Nothing he says at any point indicated they wanted Stroud ahead of Young, and he even says they expected Houston to take Young given the option, which, in the event, they did not have, so as far as I can see all he's done is reiterate that they got the guy they always wanted, i.e. Young.

Edited by Boo Khaki