NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

I'm absolutely delighted by 4-1 so far! Dreamland after the last 14 years or so. I still think it's more likely an 8-8 season but next year, barring injuries and suspensions and with a decent draft we could make the playoffs in 2017!

I’m still a relative newcomer to following the NFL, have been back into  it for a couple of seasons, and though I understand most of what’s going on during the game and why teams call certain plays at certain times (found Madden to be good for this) I’m still largely clueless about most of the off field stuff and I’ve no idea if Madden helps with this side of things.

Example- today the Jets put Eric Decker on IR.

Does this – a) rule him out for the season or just a pre-agreed period?

B ) Free up salary cap space (I get they still have to pay Decker) or is it just so they can get another body in?

IR

Until this year there were two types of IR.  IR where out for the season and IRDR, which was Injured but designated to return sometime during the season.  Now IR is must be out for a minimum of 8 weeks (IRDR has been scrapped)but only a certain number of player (I believe) designated IR may return if space on the roster.

When a player goes on IR their spot on the "Active" roster becomes available.  Meaning unless the Jets have signed anyone else and if they had a full Roster they have 52/53 spots filled.  Their wage counts towards the cap (to the full value of what it was at the cut off)  

The player can return to active roster IF there is space (less than 53 players) AND the maximum returns have not been reached.  A player can also not be released while on IR.  

Edited by Antiochas III

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

"America's Game" is a series of documentaries, each one focuses on a given season's Super Bowl winners.

So if you want to learn all about the 2015 Broncos team, see highlights of the crucial moments and interviews with the players and staff, tonight's the night.

The whole series, including the ones on the great teams who lost in the Superbowl, is on catchup on Sky.

Another poor result for the Broncos last night, haven't seen the whole game yet but the lack of leadership on offence might be having an effect at the moment. A few more tough games coming up, with the Texans, Chargers again and Oakland (which looks like being crucial).

I really enjoyed the America's Game on the Broncos last night, it's an excellent series.

On 10/10/2016 at 16:21, 1320Lichtie said:

Yup, the battle of the Bay!! 49ers main rivals are the Cowboys though I think? Plus their divisional rivals. I only got into it last year and I chose them off the back of where he stayed, told him that and he told me he supported the Raiders. So spent all last season not really sure on what to do, both of them were pretty hopeless so couldn't make my mind up.

This your first season taking an interest? If so get stuck into a Football Life and Americas Game documentaries, really gets you into it, plus you've got a lot of Hard Knocks seasons to catch up on which give a decent insight into training camps.

What made you choose Detroit?

The 49ers main rival is the Rams. That goes back decades. They have a new recently manufactured rivalry with the Seahawks too. 

On 11/10/2016 at 18:38, lichtie23 said:

Kaepernick is back!!!! Will start for the Niners this week against Buffalo

An act of pure desperation by Kelly. Kaepernick could not hit open receivers when we at least had some talent in that position two years ago. He will have no chance with the current crop who seem to struggle to get any separation from the covering defenders. This season is going to be painful. 

16 hours ago, CountyFan said:

The 49ers main rival is the Rams. That goes back decades. They have a new recently manufactured rivalry with the Seahawks too. 

Think the rivalry with the Rams died for a bit when they went to St Louis. Cowgirls have always been the enemy in my time of watching 9ers. Can see the rivalry with Rams coming back a bit now they are back in Los Angeles as "Beat LA" is a favourite chant among Bay Area sports fans.