NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

If only Elway hadn’t just chucked playing at GMs with the big boys, then he could be contemplating a ‘blockbuster’ ten year deal for Deshaun Watson, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, or, more likely, Jason Witten.

27 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Maybe he shouldn't have signed an extension for a boatload of money five months ago?

Be interesting to see if the Texans cave on this. They shouldn't, as he's a top-5 QB, has no leverage and Houston has contract control over him through 2028.

The Texans will absolutely give in. Watson has a no trade clause which you could argue let's him choose where he wants to go. 

Now its upto other teams to give the Texans what they want and I think they will. You just don't get elite qb's at this age available. 

I said 3 first round picks would be around the going rate and I stick by it. 

If you're a team drafting top 10 in any draft, you've got more than one need anyway.

There's probably 6 teams that of the remaining 31,that won't be considering getting him in if they could make a deal work. 

The teams that arent for differing reasons:

The Bengals and Chargers are  invested already in what they see as their future qb.

Chiefs, Packers and Seahawks already with the answer at the position and the Bucs already heavily invested with another year of the goat. 

The rest would be greatly improved by having Watson playing for them, no doubt at it in my mind. Now and for the next 5 years minimum. 

7 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

The Texans will absolutely give in. Watson has a no trade clause which you could argue let's him choose where he wants to go. 

Now its upto other teams to give the Texans what they want and I think they will. You just don't get elite qb's at this age available. 

I said 3 first round picks would be around the going rate and I stick by it. 

If you're a team drafting top 10 in any draft, you've got more than one need anyway.

There's probably 6 teams that of the remaining 31,that won't be considering getting him in if they could make a deal work. 

The teams that arent for differing reasons:

The Bengals and Chargers are  invested already in what they see as their future qb.

Chiefs, Packers and Seahawks already with the answer at the position and the Bucs already heavily invested with another year of the goat. 

The rest would be greatly improved by having Watson playing for them, no doubt at it in my mind. Now and for the next 5 years minimum. 

Those first two lines highlight exactly why the Texans shouldn't cave.

Your point about the Lions and Stafford in a previous post applies even more so here.

Again, if you're the Texans, you have control of Watson through 2028. There's absolutely no need to trade him.

Edited by AmericanFan
more

1 minute ago, AmericanFan said:

Those first two lines highlight exactly why the Texans shouldn't cave.

Your point about the Lions and Stafford in a previous post applies even more so here.

Watson wants to leave Houston, more than Stafford wants to leave Detroit. That's the impression I get. You won't force Watson to play or turn up if the Texans don't cave in. 

There's a whole new regime at the Texans, and I think, they will take as many picks as they can get and let a clearly disgruntled and unhappy player go. The stories behind the scenes about the antics of Easterby show how much of a train wreck this team is. 

They let Hopkins go under Easterby's watch remember. 

3 minutes ago, steelmen said:

If only Bill O’Brien was still in charge, you could get Watson for a 3rd and a packet of space invaders.

Only if it was pickled onion flavour in the crisps though. 

If it was beef flavour that might push it upto a 2nd round pick. Hardball. 

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Watson wants to leave Houston, more than Stafford wants to leave Detroit. That's the impression I get. You won't force Watson to play or turn up if the Texans don't cave in. 

There's a whole new regime at the Texans, and I think, they will take as many picks as they can get and let a clearly disgruntled and unhappy player go. The stories behind the scenes about the antics of Easterby show how much of a train wreck this team is. 

They let Hopkins go under Easterby's watch remember. 

It doesn't really matter if Watson wants to leave or not. He signed a contract.

And you'll absolutely get Watson to play eventually, because if he "retires" he has to pay back $21 million. And if he doesn't retire, he'll be fined throughout the whole season because of the contract he signed 5 months ago.

Sure, maybe he sits next season and you go 1-15, but as you have pointed out, you don't let franchise QBs walk.

If Houston trades away a franchise QB that it has under control for 7 years, it's the most incompetent franchise in sports.

Edited by AmericanFan
more

2 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Not trading him and making an example out of him would make them the most incompetent sports. 

What exactly could the Texans get back in a trade that would made it worthwhile?  8 first-round picks?

The problem with the first-round picks is when you trade him, that team will become undoubtedly better and you're basically guaranteed of getting picks in the range of 15-32. And you only get one per year.

There's almost nothing the Texans are going to get back that's remotely close to equal value.

The Texans can trade him away and try to become the Ravens in three years, where you have the best roster in the league but you'll never get past the divisional round because you don't have an elite quarterback, or they can be shit on for a year by the entire world while keeping one of the best quarterbacks in the league for the next seven years and having a legit shot to win it all.

Yes, the Texans will probably screw this up, but they really don't have to.

Has he given his reasons for suggesting a trade? Because if it is wanting to be in a team that competes to win the Super Bowl then that rules out most of the teams with a high draft pick, at least for the next couple of seasons.

Maybe Miami as they have a high draft pick due to a trade rather than incompetency, ironically, from Houston. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at New England.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

56 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Has he given his reasons for suggesting a trade? Because if it is wanting to be in a team that competes to win the Super Bowl then that rules out most of the teams with a high draft pick, at least for the next couple of seasons.

Maybe Miami as they have a high draft pick due to a trade rather than incompetency, ironically, from Houston. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at New England.

Surely Houston will be looking to send him to the NFC 

9 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

What exactly could the Texans get back in a trade that would made it worthwhile? 

I'd say they'll get 3  x 1st round picks and then free up cap space to try and get the likes of Stafford if they could. 

You could also argue with the disintegrating reputation the Texans have, who's actually going to actively want to go there?

10 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

What exactly could the Texans get back in a trade that would made it worthwhile?  8 first-round picks?

The problem with the first-round picks is when you trade him, that team will become undoubtedly better and you're basically guaranteed of getting picks in the range of 15-32. And you only get one per year.

There's almost nothing the Texans are going to get back that's remotely close to equal value.

The Texans can trade him away and try to become the Ravens in three years, where you have the best roster in the league but you'll never get past the divisional round because you don't have an elite quarterback, or they can be shit on for a year by the entire world while keeping one of the best quarterbacks in the league for the next seven years and having a legit shot to win it all.

Yes, the Texans will probably screw this up, but they really don't have to.

They have him right now and are completely useless. It's not a given that the team he goes to will automatically become great within a year either, they could get the number 2 pick and a couple more from the Jets, adding Watson won't make them playoff contenders straight away especially in a tough division so they could get a good pick next year. They could punt him to SF and get Garapollo, they'd save cap space and have good picks to try and replace Hopkins and build a better roster around a solid QB. It all doesn't matter anyway cause he won't play in Houston, he holds all the cards, they need to get rid of him to rebuild cause of the ridiculous trades they've made. I get your point about the Ravens but their issue is they have a running back playing QB and everyone is just pretending he is a top QB, Jackson isn't even decent. You don't need an elite QB to win it all, you can do it with a solid one. I don't think any scenario works out well for them, they'll still be shite for years to come and O'Brien will be despised in Houston for ever.

Rapoport suggesting that a team will need to give up at least three 1st round picks for Watson.

Also the Lions are being pretty vocal on Stafford leaving because there are a lot of teams scrambling for a QB that could improve them and they want to try and maximise their gain from trading Stafford.

Niners are currently the (betting) favourites to land Stafford. He would actually cost less than Jimmy G next season with the Niners being stuck with less than $3 million in dead cap if 10 was cut.