NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Can’t complain about that deal for Stafford. As noted above, of course, you can’t depend on draft picks but a couple of firsts is good going.  Goff clearly isn’t as good as Stafford, perhaps the Lions are looking to draft a QB at 7 and Goff would allow them to sit at the start and develop behind him.

The Lions havent made this trade to sit Goff or to then take another QB in the first round to sit behind Goff, especially with what they will be paying him now. The Lions new GM loves Goff and I see them looking to draft/sign him some weapons.

He clearly isn't as good as Stafford but he isn't a bad QB just a very expensive one.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

5 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Lol.

Will not be accepting criticism from fans of a team with Kliff Kingsbury in charge. The guy is trying to run a high school offence, is a mile out his depth and nobody seems to have noticed. Thank you. 

12 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Will not be accepting criticism from fans of a team with Kliff Kingsbury in charge. The guy is trying to run a high school offence, is a mile out his depth and nobody seems to have noticed. Thank you. 

😂

I've noticed, fwiw. Kliff needs an offensive coordinator beside him to develop his offense in to one that can dominate in the NFL. It's also not helped by his awful time management and questionable play calling, but still managed to be competitive.

On the original point though, Goff has issues with decision making when the defense don't show until after the communication cuts off. I'm not saying that he's awful (see Garoppolo, J. for a demonstration of that), he's good enough to be a starting QB in the NFL, but I can't see how having someone that isn't McVay in his ear is going to help him.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

8 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

😂

I've noticed, fwiw. Kliff needs an offensive coordinator beside him to develop his offense in to one that can dominate in the NFL. It's also not helped by his awful time management and questionable play calling, but still managed to be competitive.

On the original point though, Goff has issues with decision making when the defense don't show until after the communication cuts off. I'm not saying that he's awful (see Garoppolo, J. for a demonstration of that), he's good enough to be a starting QB in the NFL, but I can't see how having someone that isn't McVay in his ear is going to help him.

You do wonder what he is feeling this morning going from an offence coordinated by McVay to one co-ordinated by Anthony Lynn. 

DeAndre Swift will be happy. 

NFL Network bods saying that Jimmy G will be with the Niners next season. Seems to rule out a move for Watson and it will be interesting to see if "we" trade up for a QB in the draft.

Edited by RiG

The off-field stuff of the NFL still puzzles me a bit- aren't the Rams going to be millions over the cap if the cap is lower in 2021? appreciate Goff was a huge wage as well and part of this trade is a salary dump but I thought they'd have to jettison other players- the Bills writers / pundits I follow on twitter are saying Buffalo will have some tough contract renewal decisions to make due to the projected 2021 salary cap and the Rams are in a far worse cap position.

Like what's the actual penalties for going over the cap?

Edited by Fuctifano

9 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

The off-field stuff of the NFL still puzzles me a bit- aren't the Rams going to be millions over the cap if the cap is lower in 2021? appreciate Goff was a huge wage as well and part of this trade is a salary dump but I thought they'd have to jettison other players- the Bills writers / pundits I follow on twitter are saying Buffalo will have some tough contract renewal decisions to make due to the projected 2021 salary cap and the Rams are in a far worse cap position.

Like what's the actual penalties for going over the cap?

There's a breakdown of the pros / cons of the deal in terms of cap here:

https://overthecap.com/stafford-and-goff-swap-teams-in-mega-trade/

I seem to recall that, for the Rams, something like 4 or 5 players took up a frightening amount of their cap space. The rest of the team are paid a relative pittance. I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that being true but I could swear I read that somewhere. Maybe someone like @CountyFan will have an idea? They'll definitely be over and OTC says they will be over by about $31 million but that Stafford deal will get renegotiated as soon as it is official to wangle some room.

Could be worse, they could be the Saints who are projected to be $112 million OTC...

Edited by RiG

The penalties I think would be loss of draft picks/fines. I cant recall it ever happening. 

WRT the rams cap, it all depends on what the cap is for the coming year. If there weren't a pandemic on they'd be comfortably under, but obviously they are projecting a cut because of lost revenue. In that scenario several teams will be in serious bother, the rams included. 

There are various things that can be done, a lot of these contracts can be renegotiated to push cap hits into future years. I dont know the ins and outs but they can convert bonuses and free up short term space. Then theres the nuclear option of cutting high priced veterans... I would expect to see that happen a lot over the next couple of months. 

31 minutes ago, RiG said:

I seem to recall that, for the Rams, something like 4 or 5 players took up a frightening amount of their cap space. The rest of the team are paid a relative pittance. I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that being true but I could swear I read that somewhere. Maybe someone like @CountyFan will have an idea? They'll definitely be over and OTC says they will be over by about $31 million but that Stafford deal will get renegotiated as soon as it is official to wangle some room.

Could be worse, they could be the Saints who are projected to be $112 million OTC...

I am assuming the saints will save some money if/when Brees retires? 

I seem to recall that, for the Rams, something like 4 or 5 players took up a frightening amount of their cap space. The rest of the team are paid a relative pittance. I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that being true but I could swear I read that somewhere. Maybe someone like [mention=27851]CountyFan[/mention] will have an idea? They'll definitely be over and OTC says they will be over by about $31 million but that Stafford deal will get renegotiated as soon as it is official to wangle some room.

Saints will get a lot of cap space back if Brees retires, about 30M I think.

The Eagles look to be in the biggest hole cap wise.