NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Fair play to Phil, he had a great run. A guy who deserved to win a title but was on a team that could just never get over the hump for a variety of reasons. I hated him but respected him.

It’ll be interesting to see if both he and Eli end up in the HOF. I feel like you can make an argument either way for both of them, but it’s been a great couple of decades for QBs - with Peyton, Brady, Brees and Roethlisberger all certs from the same era, I’m not so sure they’ll get in. Imo... that’s probably fair enough.

25 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Fair play to Phil, he had a great run. A guy who deserved to win a title but was on a team that could just never get over the hump for a variety of reasons. I hated him but respected him.

It’ll be interesting to see if both he and Eli end up in the HOF. I feel like you can make an argument either way for both of them, but it’s been a great couple of decades for QBs - with Peyton, Brady, Brees and Roethlisberger all certs from the same era, I’m not so sure they’ll get in. Imo... that’s probably fair enough.

Eli definitely gets in, he has as many championships as big Ben, and one more than Brees. Rivers is a tougher one, but I think he gets in on longevity. I don't think they're first ballot though, only Peyton and Brady are.

i think he was a decent QB but he was always a game changing INT waiting to happen. With the exception of 1 season he was no where near a SuperBowl. You can blame that on the team too but HOF worhty QB's can get their teams over that hump.

For me i wouldn't have him in the HOF. Eli is an interesting one. he does have 2 rings but i can't say I am a huge fan. I do think he deserves the HOF call just for beating the Cheats... twice.

4 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Eli definitely gets in, he has as many championships as big Ben, and one more than Brees. Rivers is a tougher one, but I think he gets in on longevity. I don't think they're first ballot though, only Peyton and Brady are.

Jim Plunkett won two rings as a starting QB and didn’t make the HOF.

Eli was never a top 5 QB in the league at any point in his career. Probably barely a borderline top 10 for most years of it.

He probably does get in, because he’s a big name and the two rings definitely will count for him even although he was never as good as Brees or Rivers. I’m really not sure he deserves it though.

25 minutes ago, steelmen said:

i think he was a decent QB but he was always a game changing INT waiting to happen. With the exception of 1 season he was no where near a SuperBowl. You can blame that on the team too but HOF worhty QB's can get their teams over that hump.

From 2011 onwards yes, thanks to a front office that did nothing to address long-term deterioration of the protection in front of him. Had he played his entire career behind the quality of OL SD had between 2006-2009 then I think his entire career would look somewhat different.

Marlon Mcree basically single-handedly cost SD a superbowl in Rivers' first season as starter. If he simply knocks the ball down the Chargers would have totally crushed the Giants in the title game. The year after, he led the team to an AFC Championship in Foxboro, playing with no ACL in his knee, and without LT and Antonio Gates.

I think he's undoubtedly HoF-worthy, but not on first ballot. Had the franchise not let the OL play atrophy from 2010 onwards I think his career would look totally different and we probably would be talking about him as on a par with Brady, Brees, Manning etc.

Watching the mechanics of Rivers throwing motion, you wonder how he lasted as long as he did in the league. As consistently ungainly and unorthodox as you're likely to see. But fair play to him. 

He was probably guilty of hanging about with the Chargers longer than he should have if he was serious about winning a SB, albeit after a bright start to his career there.

Going back to the discussion of the franchises to hate, surely the Ravens are clearly the number 1 choice. Harbaugh is the biggest arsehole coach in the league and they've had scumbag players like Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs not to mention Ray Lewis who was basically the face of the franchise for years despite killing a guy.

5 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Going back to the discussion of the franchises to hate, surely the Ravens are clearly the number 1 choice. Harbaugh is the biggest arsehole coach in the league and they've had scumbag players like Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs not to mention Ray Lewis who was basically the face of the franchise for years despite killing a guy.

I won't bore you with the whole interview but here's an excerpt of Harbaugh's recent ESPN interview about not apologising for the Ravens' run first approach:

=============================

"The reason why I'm strong on this is because it goes back to the same criticism we've heard the last three years about not being the type of an offense or the type of a quarterback that some people want to see," Harbaugh said during his 45-minute, end-of-season news conference. "They're just going to have to live with it because Lamar Jackson has won a lot of football games here and our offense has won us a lot of football games here and we're not apologizing for that for one second."

==============================

To be fair later on the interview he does acknowledge that the team need to improve at receiver. You could argue that they don't have the right qb to be making all the required throws. 

As I see it in this era of the NFL the Ravens aren't winning SuperBowls running on 50 - 60% of plays. They just aren't. You cant keep up with teams putting up 30 - 40 points per game, primarily or with a greater emphasis on throwing the ball. 

Sure they'll still bully the weaker teams in the regular season, but if they continue to have this running first mentality, then come playoff time they'll continue to be found out, again and again. 

Points records and yardage records continue to be bettered, season after season. As long as that continues, then running the ball more than average puts teams at a huge disadvantage to the rest. 

Pittsburgh Steelers are considering signing Dwayne Haskins and Hue Jackson has been interviewed for the offensive coordinator role.
What's the American equivalent of "The Banter Years" does anyone know?
Haskins has also met with the Panthers according to @Rapsheet on Twitter.

On 20/01/2021 at 15:24, steelmen said:

Dan Marino says hi.  

IMO (which means nothing really) Philip Rivers is a HOF QB.