NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Still pretty new to the sport but while following some of the comments on here around the playoff games at the weekend I need to ask...what's everyone's problem with the Steelers? Seems to be a fair bit of hate towards them. Curious as I picked them as my team to follow purely because they wear the same colours as Livi haha

My main issue would be the rather lame reason that they are irritatingly successful. They seem to win a Super Bowl every 5-10 years, so them doing well is a much more boring "story" than it would be if, say, the Bills or the Browns win it.

Oh, and the terrible towels are shit.

I'm sure others will find better reasons than that, but don't take it to heart anyway. 

Developing often irrational reasons to hate teams is part of being a fan, IMO. 25 years ago I couldn't have told you which state Green Bay or New England played in but now... I fucking hate those guys.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

6 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Ben Roethlisberger is a rapist. Oh and Troy Polamalu and James Harrison are c***s too.

Reading into some of the sordid activities by NFL players there doesn't seem to be any team that hasn't got or had at least 1 horrible c**t on their roster, they seem a worse group of people than Premier League footballers

5 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Still pretty new to the sport but while following some of the comments on here around the playoff games at the weekend I need to ask...what's everyone's problem with the Steelers? Seems to be a fair bit of hate towards them. Curious as I picked them as my team to follow purely because they wear the same colours as Livi haha

I don't have any axe to grind with them at all. Maybe stems from the fact I started following NFL in the mid-80's when they were mediocre, so I don't grudge them their success. The only reason I was poking fun at them this year is because they were the definition of a team that was nowhere near as good as their record suggests, so it was amusing seeing them exposed in the playoffs. I also remember when the Colts and Pats were both comedy franchises, so given that the Steelers are one of the franchises that helped end the absolute dominance of the NFC in the 90's, and that they occasionally broke up the monotony of the Pats dynasty and their pissant bandwagon fans, I don't really mind the Steelers at all. Likewise the Colts. Difficult to hate something that was an object of pity for the first ten years or so I followed NFL, and no, back in the late 80's and first half of the 90's you didn't see Brits in Colts or Pats jerseys anywhere. It would be the equivalent of proudly walking about in a Mark Sanchez Jets jersey right now. Was all Bears, 49ers, and NFC East teams back then (bar the Cardinals of course, who were shite), a sprinkling of Dolphins and Broncos fans here and there because of Marino and Elway.

I can't stand the Ravens and the Titans. The Ravens because of the same reasons everyone else is citing for hating the Steelers, and the Titans because of a ridiculous but short-lived feud that flared up because certain Titans players decided that an appropriate way to respond the their QB being a moron and almost killing himself, was to start taking dives at Chargers players' knees. The irony is, I used to be quite fond of the Houston Oilers, but I fucking can not abide the tinpot wee franchise they are now.

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Reading into some of the sordid activities by NFL players there doesn't seem to be any team that hasn't got or had at least 1 horrible c**t on their roster, they seem a worse group of people than Premier League footballers

Believe it or not, the NFL has cleaned up it's act remarkably on that front over the past 10 years or so. Still utter scumbags everywhere, but compared to the 'heyday' of the 90's and early 2000's when you had murderers on active rosters, players running guns and orchestrating coke/weed rings between practices, the 'Love Boat', regular stabbings and shootings inside/outside strip joints at 5am, practically every married player a self-confessed roid-raging wife-beater, pregnant girlfriends being murdered, etc, etc,. Oh, nearly forgot certain players inadvertently shooting themselves as well. Marvin Harrison definitely not shooting people dead in front of witnesses, nope, just some guy that looked like him <_<

It's all Peewee League stuff by comparison now, if you ignore the child-beatings especially. "CTE" is gonna be the new get-out for those awkward "I didn't know what I was doing when I ordered the deaths of those 30 mexicans, smuggled 10 tons of coke, then shot my wife and kids" moments.

On a lighter note, if you want a laugh, Google 'Onterrio Smith', oh and 'Brett Favre Jenn Sterger', 'Rex Ryan feet'

Trying to think exactly who the Chargers most notable 'horrible c**t' would be. Terrence Kiel was mixed up in some pretty unsavoury stuff, got himself cut, then died in a car accident a year or so later. Dr David Chao has been sued for malpractice more times than I've had hot dinners, Rodney Harrison copped regular fines for hits that would see him ejected and banned now, but he got worse for that later in his career after he left the Chargers. Was repeatedly voted one of the NFL's 'dirtiest' players. Incidentally, Kurt Warner owes his entire career to Rodney Harrison, and the Rams would never have won that superbowl or had 'the greatest show on turf' without him. It's all down to a cheap-shotting safety with a penchant for diving at QB's knees :p More recently Darius Philon got himself cut for being a dick, but that was after the CHargers let him walk away as  a Free Agent.

Controversial one, because to most Chargers fans he's a deity, but Junior Seau wasn't a particularly nice man to his family. Was always a gent in public, but he was known for having a string of affair partners all over SD county, used to beat and verbally abuse his wife and kids, his behaviour became more and more erratic and concerning the older he got, before he finally committed suicide. The family had his brain examined and found he was suffering from CTE. Sad story, but he genuinely wasn't the all-round great human being he's often portrayed as. Was a complete asshole when drunk by all accounts too. Hassling random women, ethnic slurs, aggressive towards other men etc.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 14/01/2021 at 05:18, Boo Khaki said:

Still utter scumbags everywhere, but compared to the 'heyday' of the 90's and early 2000's when you had murderers on active rosters, players running guns and orchestrating coke/weed rings between practices, the 'Love Boat', regular stabbings and shootings inside/outside strip joints at 5am, practically every married player a self-confessed roid-raging wife-beater, pregnant girlfriends being murdered, etc, etc,. Oh, nearly forgot certain players inadvertently shooting themselves as well.

Off topic, but were you a writer for Sky's Dream Team?! 🙈

Edited by BukyOHare

On 14/01/2021 at 00:42, Cptn Hooch said:

I think its a generational thing against teams having success at given times or the perceived arrogance of their front office, ownership or fan base. 

You'll have people so anti Patriots for the success of the Brady / Belichick years for the same reasons. 

Stick with your team and enjoy a fantastic sport. 

14 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Von Miller is under “criminal investigation”’according to reports in Colorado. They’ve not released what he is being investigated for

image.thumb.png.311ee330bc4326d8ab1413b7c06fc551.png

Fashion police investigation per sources and Schefter. 

Least said about his good lady's tattoos the better. 

Edited by BukyOHare

16 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Von Miller is under “criminal investigation”’according to reports in Colorado. They’ve not released what he is being investigated for

Saw some hack on youtube talking about a load of 'unsavoury' text messages he'd apparently sent to the missus, so odds it's something domestic.

1 hour ago, jagfox BLM said:

NFL Throwback - Barefoot Kickers. 34 years since Rich Karlis kicked the winning field goal in OT to put Denver to the Superbowl!

https://youtu.be/zVI58r-OlLI

IIRC Rob Hart of the Claymores was a barefoot kicker. Hampden/Murrayfield in the spring is probably easier on the toes than Denver in December though.