NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

18 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

This is why I laugh at the Chargers fans who foam at the mouth about the Spanos family being 'cheap' and claim the NFL should force them to sell the team.

There are far, far worse owners out there than the Spanos lot, and there's also no evidence whatsoever that they are in any way 'cheap'. The family just isn't anywhere close to as rich as a lot of their counterparts.

As a former San Diego resident it was more the way they did it. I know they arent alone in holding cities to ransom but they are worthy of much scorn imho.

18 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

The problem the NFL has is the only person who has intimated any desire to buy Washington is Jeff Bezos.  And his wealth dwarves all other owners... 

How wealthy are the ‘Walmart’ group now in charge of Denver though? Not saying they rival Bezos, but we were the most expensive sale of a North American sports franchise ever - and are shite. Now, you might say Denver’s new owners need time to turn things around, but the NFL is literally the only top tier American football league anywhere on the planet. Rich or not, Denver still swim in the same waters as the other 31 teams, are still bound by salary caps, roster size, and still fish in the same Draft pool and free agency markets. If the Denver owners or Bezos had bought Plymouth Argyle, then there’s no doubt they’d do a Gretna with them and after a few seasons, would reach the EPL. I struggle to see how an NFL team having a crazy rich owner guarantees much regarding on-field ability or repeated success, compared to other sports. No doubt Bezos would be able to raze FedEx Field to the ground and build a ‘SoFi Stadium’ somewhere for the Commodores, and host a Super Bowl, but I don’t see the team suddenly becoming Manchester City.

Denver’s owners aren’t short of a bob or two, but if you’re going to appoint your third shite rookie HC in a row, repeatedly fail to address a porous O Line, and put seven years of your future on the back of an ageing QB who you aren’t building a playbook around what they can still do well, then what do your $$$ matter?

Edited by pozbaird

7 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

As a former San Diego resident it was more the way they did it. I know they arent alone in holding cities to ransom but they are worthy of much scorn imho.

I totally understand why there is a lot of resentment for the Spanos family in and around SD, but I still think that ultimate responsibility for that fiasco lies with the local politicians. It was astonishing how many of them were completely ambivalent about having an NFL franchise in the city, a few were openly hostile, and I don't think they really understood that by acting the way they did they were really salting the ground in so far as SD being a potential location for an NFL franchise goes.

Spanos really weren't asking or expecting anything above and beyond what other cities have done for NFL franchises, and given the absolutely awful state of Jack Murphy Stadium I don't think they were being grabby by asking for a replacement either, so I don't really see it as holding SD to ransom. Hosting an NFL franchise comes with certain requirements and expectations, and I think that the Spanos family was being entirely reasonable in believing that JMS not longer met them. I can understand the reluctance on the part of the city to come up with the money just a few years after building Petco on prime real estate, but all in all I think they diminished their own city by not really making more than a half-hearted effort to keep the team around. 

I think it also has to be recognised that the nature of SD itself also played a part. The same reasons that are always overlooked by people quick to slate the Chargers for having 'no fans' and so on also contributed in their own way. SD is a transplant and transitory city in a transplant and transitory State, it also has a glorious climate that means there's plenty to occupy the residents and visitors beyond NFL football. I often laugh when it's fans of certain other teams lampooning the Chargers, because if you go and look at where those franchises are based it's self-evident why the entire place is Football mad. There's sod all else to do but sit in a stadium every other Sunday and get so drunk you can no longer feel the cold!. The hotel tax etc made sense to me, but I can understand why the locals were a bit more lukewarm about these things.

I temporarily lived in SD myself at the turn of the millennium, and I was always a bit shocked by how casually most of the locals talked about having an NFL team in their city. It always felt like most of them viewed the Chargers as a nice thing to have around rather than being an intrinsic part of the fabric of the city. Perhaps it just shocked me because I've been a Chargers nut for decades and couldn't really understand the ambivalence, but I don't think that sort of attitude would be the same in somewhere like Cleveland or Buffalo. It's doubly sad when you look at the excitement around the Padres right now, and I think people have short memories of what Qualcomm was like for a while between 2006-2010. 'Fair weather fans' perhaps, but it's a myth that the Chargers weren't supported and couldn't fill their stadium. When they put a poor product out on the field SD residents just went and did one of the multitude of other things to do on a Sunday instead, but when they were competitive the Q was as raucous and packed with homers as any other NFL stadium.

I think that Bezos being the only potential owner to state an interest in buying Washington NFL Franchise would probably change if it actually became up for sale, but then someone with that sot of money could probably just outbid any other potential buyer anyway. That doesn't guarantee that Snyder and the NFL definitely sell to him however.

On a different tack. This has been bugging me and I need opinions… In just about every game I’ve watched on TV this season, the commentators say the following about every team….

’They need to establish the run, then go for shots downfield off of RPO’s’.

That appears to be the advice given by Collinsworth, Tarrico, Buck, Aikman, Nantz, and Romo - to all 32 teams. All of em’. Must be an easy game, this head coaching in the NFL. I might apply for Hackett’s job. My pitch will be I plan to establish the run game, then go for the kill off of RPO’s’. I’m a shoo-in. 😎

Edited by pozbaird

I don't think they're in any way wrong tbh. NFL games are still primarily decided in the trenches. If you can control the LoS, run the ball, and stop the run, then you can dictate the game and you'll win far more often than you lose.

It's why I am not and never have been a big fan of totally lopsided offensive teams that throw the ball for 500 yards and end up in shootouts every week. Sure, they beat the shite out of crap teams and pile up regular season wins, but they invariably run into a Titans/49'ers type team who just stands up and smashes them in the mouth, then they get into trouble because they lack the D and the rushing fallback to pick up the slack when their passing O gets stymied.

If you can't run the ball and stop the run, you're a fundamentally bad NFL team. Doesn't matter how many TD's your QB throws or how many points you average.

Edited by Boo Khaki

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

How wealthy are the ‘Walmart’ group now in charge of Denver though? Not saying they rival Bezos, but we were the most expensive sale of a North American sports franchise ever - and are shite. Now, you might say Denver’s new owners need time to turn things around, but the NFL is literally the only top tier American football league anywhere on the planet. Rich or not, Denver still swim in the same waters as the other 31 teams, are still bound by salary caps, roster size, and still fish in the same Draft pool and free agency markets. If the Denver owners or Bezos had bought Plymouth Argyle, then there’s no doubt they’d do a Gretna with them and after a few seasons, would reach the EPL. I struggle to see how an NFL team having a crazy rich owner guarantees much regarding on-field ability or repeated success, compared to other sports. No doubt Bezos would be able to raze FedEx Field to the ground and build a ‘SoFi Stadium’ somewhere for the Commodores, and host a Super Bowl, but I don’t see the team suddenly becoming Manchester City.

Denver’s owners aren’t short of a bob or two, but if you’re going to appoint your third shite rookie HC in a row, repeatedly fail to address a porous O Line, and put seven years of your future on the back of an ageing QB who you aren’t building a playbook around what they can still do well, then what do your $$$ matter?

Tbf, wasn't talking about on field progression.  If all you needed was money to succeed then the NFC East, and especially the Cowboys wouldn't have been almost all but irrelevant since the turn of the century.  

The main thing is the NFL is as much a game of egos and power, and with Prime and WashPost already in his back pocket his dick waving competition entry will rile up a few.  The Ownership seem to have to have 2 camps, one led by Jerry Jones abd another by Robert Kraft.  Jeff Bezos adds a third.  

37 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Tbf, wasn't talking about on field progression.  If all you needed was money to succeed then the NFC East, and especially the Cowboys wouldn't have been almost all but irrelevant since the turn of the century.  

The main thing is the NFL is as much a game of egos and power, and with Prime and WashPost already in his back pocket his dick waving competition entry will rile up a few.  The Ownership seem to have to have 2 camps, one led by Jerry Jones abd another by Robert Kraft.  Jeff Bezos adds a third.  

I posted what I did then had to dash out. I knew you didn’t mean Bezos type cash could guarantee on-field success. I didn’t make that clear in my post. Apologies!

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Christian McCaffrey is 49ers bound in exchange for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick next year plus a 5th round in 2024.

If he stays fit could be a great player for 9ers. Loved watching him play at Stanford. Big if though. Do we have any draft picks left now?

Some deal for the 49ers. They have a stack of 3rd round compensatory picks for coaches moving on in recent seasons so basically a free hit with CMC through to 2025.

Makes the Russel Wilson deal even funnier imo. I appreciate QBs are way overpriced especially if deemed a starter. 

That's an awful trade. They have completely overpaid for McCaffrey who, as great as a RB as he is, comes with injury issues. The Rams paid less for Von Miller who won them the SB. Now the Niners have no picks until the 3rd day of the draft next year! I can't get on board with this pick because of what the Niners have given up. 

ETA: Maybe its better to get known quality in the short term than draft picks I suppose. Certainly not boring being a Niner fan :lol:

Edited by RiG