Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"f**k the Ping Pong, Motherwell - Partick Thistle's on tonight."

Q: What has a better international reputation from Scotland than our domestic football?

A: Everything else in Scotland.

If anyone thinks that is an easy sell, I suggest they look up sole distribution rights, make a few phone calls and get the first flight to the Far East with five spare suitcases for all the money they're going to make.

Mugs :lol:

Thinking the place you're from is characteristically incapable despite the factual evidence to the contrary can only be described as bitterness.

In what way? I think your description would lean more towards apprehension, and yet you say "it can only be described as bitterness"?

How does your description mean bitterness in any way? and how can it "only" be described as bitterness?

Getting money for selling Scottish football broadcasting rights in China is an easy deal? Is this real life? :lol:

I'm not even a massive Salmond fan to be honest. If we get Independence and by extension a representative democratic system, I won't be voting SNP (if we don't I'll obvs vote for the only two parties that don't have complete contempt for Scotland -Greens/SNP in the mean time).

So aye not a massive lover of Big Eck but reading that kind of statement makes me really appreciate how much he's got it right up the Bitters. Absolutely imperial level trolling to provoke seethe that strong.

If you think the 3 main UK parties have "contempt" for Scotland, which incidentally, they don't, what makes you think this will stop after independence?

The Tories will cease to exist. There would be no reason for the Scottish Tories to exist in indy Scotland, they would give way to a new centre-right Scottish party.

The Lib Dems would probably just fade away into the dregs of the SNP, they don't disagree on all that many issues, if you look at their 2007-2010 manifestos they were almost identical except the LD's supported the union.

So you're basically left with Labour, the Greens, some new centre right party and a centre-left, socially liberal party consisting of former SNP and Lib Dem members, obviously the more right leaning lib dem members would join the new centre right party.

The Greens probably aren't going to be any more relevant than they are now.

So you're left with a 3 party state.

The right party are probably gonna consistently poll between 1/4 and 1/3 of the vote. They'd avoid the dirty name of the Tories.

The other 2 fight over the rest of the vote, each polling around a third and rotating being in government.

Q: What has a better international reputation from Scotland than our domestic football?A: Everything else in Scotland.If anyone thinks that is an easy sell, I suggest they look up sole distribution rights, make a few phone calls and get the first flight to the Far East with five spare suitcases for all the money they're going to make.Mugs :lol:

I work for a company that buys and sells sports media rights. Anyone who thinks that selling the SPFL Premiership for such a sum is 'easy' knows nothing, absolutely nothing, about the business or how much rights sell for. I think people would be shocked if they knew how little some fairly decent leagues sell for outside their country of origin. Obviously the EPL, Liga, Serie A and even the Bundesliga are exceptions, but if you wanted to sell the Scottish or Swedish or Austrian leagues abroad you're doing very, very well to get what we got for it.

If you think the 3 main UK parties have "contempt" for Scotland, which incidentally, they don't, what makes you think this will stop after independence?

Erm, it won't.

If Independence happens, I'll vote for whatever's closest to a Social Democratic Party up here; hopefully a new one.

In the more likely event of it not happening, I'll vote for the parties that don't think prosperity in Scotland is unacheivable without a helping hand from London. That helping hand won't be coming.

In what way? I think your description would lean more towards apprehension, and yet you say "it can only be described as bitterness"?

How does your description mean bitterness in any way? and how can it "only" be described as bitterness?

Ah right, you've got "apprehensions" about whether Scotland is "characteristically incapable" or not.

:lol:

See if someone says they're a proud Briton who values that identity most and doesn't want the UK to change, I actually say "f**k it, fair enough". Not how I feel but it's not up to me how others identify themselves.

See if you're a Scot who derides the practical arguments for Independence as unpalatable nationalism or pretend to take a pragmatic view, whilst swallowing/actually peddling complete lies about Scotland not being capable, that is nothing but sheer bitterness and self-contempt.

Ah right, you've got "apprehensions" about whether Scotland is "characteristically incapable" or not. :lol:

I haven't. I'm merely saying your description in that particular post sounded more like you were describing public apprehension rather than bitterness yet you said it can "only" be described as bitterness. Makes no sense.

Anyhoo, what is this "factual" evidence that Scotland would be better off as an independent nation? And why aren't most backing independence if its so obvious? Are they all bitter?.... Or is your "evidence" selective with a bit of spin for good measure?...

I haven't. I'm merely saying your description in that particular post sounded more like you were describing public apprehension rather than bitterness yet you said it can "only" be described as bitterness. Makes no sense.

Anyhoo, what is this "factual" evidence that Scotland would be better off as an independent nation? And why aren't most backing independence if its so obvious? Are they all bitter?.... Or is your "evidence" selective with a bit of spin for good measure?...

"The Bitters" wasn't referring to the Referendum participants as a whole. Obviously.

I'm talking about the people debating it, be it on here or in public life, with the traits of bitterness and self-contempt I just described. People who have the facts available to them but don't like them.

The larger population are understandably apprehensive. If you're not engaged with the subject how would you know that so much of what is printed as REAL CONCERNS FOR SCOTLAND is nonsense? From the press? Good yin.

As if you're some concerned pragmatist anyway :lol:

Interesting you want to discuss the facts of Independence now. Maybe I've coaxed a watershed moment 1000 pages in. What do you want to know and we'll all discuss it maturely in detail? I'm excited.

Another important reason why I'm voting Yes, to escape the sheer lunacy of the UK's backward immigration policy and the malign influence of UKIP and the Tory right wing.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/05/migration-target-useless-experts

All the evidence shows that immigration is good for us and has benefits, and all the evidence shows that Scotland will have a better immigration policy (based on the actions of our government, the consistent demands going right back to Jack McConnell for special immigration treatment, the fresh talent scheme etc.). All the evidence also shows that the CDU just want to make it harder for immigrants to come here.

Leaving the CDU is a no-brainer. We have to get control of our own immigration policy.

Ian Davidson with some more threats today

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile/news/glasgow-mp-suggests-break-clause-in-warship-contract-141533n.22602982

Obviously he cares more about staying in the union than his own constituency!

I believe we should be comparing ourselves to the likes of Norway rather than England in the referendum debate.

The line in the article about Norway having a bigger shipbuilding industry than Scotland should be more widely known.

The Unionists are peddling the view that if we leave the UK our shipbuilding industry will diminish.

If people can see similar countries like Norway can survive with a thriving ship building industry then they won't be so taken in with Unionist scaremongering

Archived