Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guardian editorial. Headline:

Scottish independence: counting the cost

First sentence:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/18/scottish-independence-counting-the-cost

That's the 2013 Guardian, silly. The Guardian 2008 model was a bit more sceptical.

"Whatever the motive, the IFS's claim to be unbiased appears to me shaky."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/aug/19/tax.taxandspending

That's the 2013 Guardian, silly. The Guardian 2008 model was a bit more sceptical.

"Whatever the motive, the IFS's claim to be unbiased appears to me shaky."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/aug/19/tax.taxandspending

I presumed when approaching the material that I would find reports whose objectivity accorded with the IFS aspiration to be "seen to be free of bias". I have been profoundly disappointed.

Oopsy!

Anyway, having nearly puked up reading the supposedly left wing, liberal Guardian's editorial on the matter, the Scottish government's paper on the eocnomy and industrial strategy can be found here, no doubt to be ignored by a blanket love in of the IFS by Labour, the Tories, the Lib Dems and the Guardian, unitl such a time as they say something any of those parties disagree with.

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/Independence-to-transform-Scotland-s-economy-651.aspx#downloads

I also see that BBC hav eopened up their Scottish political aritcles to comments.

That's very depsressing reading. For both sides of the debate.

Just in the last few minutes:

An independent Scotland could end up like the Republic of Ireland a mess, and its main export could become the people of Scotland who could end up living in a sinking ship with big job loses.The remaining UK will not by Scottish ships more likely American ship builders or Barrow submarine builders getting UK investment.

If oil and gas is found in the Falkland islands Scotland will get nothing.

Bitterness.

there are many questions that need answering for a start would I have to send all my scots workers home ? demand a work permit ? ask if they are a member of the EU and so employ them the same as the polish workers ? .I think it will be best to sack all of them and employ only English workers there is less paperwork .

Stupidity.

This all sounds very good to me ... all we need to do is extend HS2 as far up as Adrian's wall ... put a nice sign in Dover welcoming those leaving the Eurozone to Scotland as the land of jobs a plenty and let the high speed train do the rest.

I really don't think Salmon has thought this through ....

Racism.

Reading these comments is depressing. This debate is now not really going to end well either way. The SNP and this debate are now causing real division - a "them and us" mentality. We are all going to get swept up in comparing who can put one over on the other or who has it better..not what neighbours should be doing, and lets face it thats what we will be after isnt it!

Its all the SNP's fault!

Forecasting is exactly what economists do incompetently. The IFS report uses figures from the OBR who have yet to get practically anything right on the economy. http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/oct/16/obr-poor-forecasting-record-office-budget-responsibility If you think anyone could guess what today's economy would be like back in 1963 you need your head examined.

I think they would have had a pretty good guess. The economy of Edinburgh is pretty similar to what they envisaged in the 60s. They were planning a inner city ring road in Edinburgh in the 60s which would have cut through the Meadows, turned Tollcross into a massive six or seven lane roundabout with a few buildings in the middle of it and a good chunk of the Royal Mile would have been demolished because it was too old (Yuck! Who want's old stuff?). It didn't fail because of public outcry, but because they didn't have enough money to get started. They weren't that far off, were they?

I think they would have had a pretty good guess. The economy of Edinburgh is pretty similar to what they envisaged in the 60s. They were planning a inner city ring road in Edinburgh in the 60s which would have cut through the Meadows, turned Tollcross into a massive six or seven lane roundabout with a few buildings in the middle of it and a good chunk of the Royal Mile would have been demolished because it was too old (Yuck! Who want's old stuff?). It didn't fail because of public outcry, but because they didn't have enough money to get started. They weren't that far off, were they?

Uh-huh...and the economy? Would they have forseen the oil? The mass unemployment? Computers...?

Archived