Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Those British Unionists are certainly easily misled and misguided aren't they George old chap?!, they probably believe that we leaders of the major political parties in England really do care about the people of Scotland's health and welfare."

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So,you are pretending not to understand.

Your efforts to create divide look unfriendly,weak and trouble making.

What? Are you taking a list of subversives to hand over to the thought police?

Cameron's statement is one in a long line of pish from unionist politicans about 'foreigners' that the state of being one is being a negative thing if Scotland were independent. Complete load of shitcake from them. What relevance it has to the debate I don't know. Load of britnat shit and you know it guys.

What? Are you taking a list of subversives to hand over to the thought police?

Oh a nice example of SNP divide making.

I suppose I should consider myself lucky i'm not threatened with violence like Farage was.

Yeh,we know about SNP tolerance.

By the way,i offered Archie G an answer a couple of posts up.

Cameron's statement is one in a long line of pish from unionist politicans about 'foreigners' that the state of being one is being a negative thing if Scotland were independent. Complete load of shitcake from them. What relevance it has to the debate I don't know. Load of britnat shit and you know it guys.

Wrong Heidthebaw.It is a genuine feeling many Unionists all over the UK feel.

"Those British Unionists are certainly easily misled and misguided aren't they George old chap?!, they probably believe that we leaders of the major political parties in England really do care about the people of Scotland's health and welfare."

You could just as easily have a photo of Rab C and Mary Doll,praying for any propaganda (or should that be 'propapanda') opportunity to create anti English sentiment and therefore lead Scotland on a road to independence built on intolerance and bitterness.

Doomed to fail.

"The boy can't spell integration correctly but he has a desire to be taken seriously George old chap."

The days when poor spelling was considered a reason to disregard people are long gone Saor Alba.

I would be ashamed if I tried to bully someone because of their spelling.

I suppose that's all down to experience though 'old boy'.

I don't take the piss out of the Lib Dems other than to say "They are an irrelevance". It doesn't matter what they propose because they will NEVER be in majority and will renege on any promise they make in order to get a sweet, sweet taste of power.

Well done for proving my point.

Oh please. Those are all things that benefit society as a whole unless you'd prefer the poor to be burgling your house or your granny dying of starvation. Don't give me that right-wing libertarian pish.

It's not right-wing libertarian to say that society and the state are completely different things and that the role of the state is not to reflect society but plug the gaps to vindicate the rights of individuals and groups of individuals whose liberty (positive or negative) would otherwise be infringed. Government programmes don't help "society as a whole". They settle disputes between competing interests within society. Nothing more, nothing less.

Everyone makes mistakes, but what is worse, relishing you were wrong and then accepting, or just blindly refuse. I think they've moved on since 1997. Maybe other parties have to move on too.

I think you've rather missed the point of that post.

As H_B said, I think it's designed as an emotional argument to appeal to people who feel a sense of britishness,

Well exactly. This isn't remotely controversial. It's about a sense of common civic identity. Hard as it might be for people who only feel Scottish to conceptualise, there are people who identify as British or British and Scottish, and who feel a sense of shared community, political, social, economic, cultural, linguistic and so forth, with people elsewhereon the British Isles other than their "home nation". British nationhood, like it or not, is still a thing. This speaks to some of the more idiotic Nat arguments like "you must be craven if you don't think your nation should be independent". For a lot of people, Britain is their nation. They're probably every bit as bemused as to why you don't feel a sense of shared identity and political community as you are at the notion they do.

But for people like me, they're all wrong. Not because national identity is a bad thing, but because it's at best a coincidental and partial normative force for how we should decide the boundaries and composition of our states. I don't feel like a foreigner because of my passport when I visit Libya, Serbia or Germany. I feel like a foreigner, an outsider, that I am not part of their "polis" because I haven't grown up under their institutions, because I don't share their language, because I haven't had a stake in the political decisions and the cultural life which has been such an integral part of their existence. That doesn't mean I feel a lesser person, or that I think one particular national identity is more morally superior or more important; simply that I am disengaged from the civic and political identity they have constructed from themselves.

For the record, I feel British and Scottish. I don't think that British identity needs to rely on the British state to exist and to prosper, though I do believe there is a risk that it would weaken without them. On an emotional level, that would be regretable, but it's not a big factor for me in this debate. If it were, I'd be voting No. Again, on an emotional level, I would marginally rather that we were able to find a new way of conceiving sovereignty within a British context, and in general I think that independence movements (as opposed to self-determination movements) in developed liberal democracies in many senses serve to re-enforce nation-statehood when as a concept it is less appropriate to a far more globalised world. But in the absence of the likelihood of the delivery of a better alternative, I vote Yes.

Do you seriously think there's an underlying xenophobia in those comments?

I think it's a stupid point, but it's not Cameron playing the "pesky foreigner" card

I think they just didn't think about what they were saying. Shame nobody's pulled them up on it though.

I mean, Cameron spent his formative years at Eton, so he 's used to thinking he's better than everybody else.

"You are right Dave,those trolling unionists really do have less wit than the average half-witted trolls."

"I'd have thought that at a time like this people should be coming together,not breaking apart."

Scottish wit Gregor Fisher.

Archived