Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The poll taken on here just prior to the last Scottish election was astonishingly accurate.

I have serious concerns as to how the housing market in Scotland might suffer in the run up to the referendum and even more serious concerns as to how it will fare in an independent Scotland.

(I'm still undecided, btw)

Yes, it was a pure fluke.

The housing market still needs to correct, so thats one bubble that certainly needs to be well and truly burst. Right back to pre 2000 levels. So anyone with a hefty mortgage on an overpriced slave box would be in trouble. Hopefully the politicians will stop mucking around with the economy and creating these bubbles regardless.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are your specific concerns about the housing market?

Mine are that houses are vastly overpriced and need to come down in price. Probably more than half in price.

They bear virtually no relation to wages and the banks need to get back to making proper checks before lending money to anyone, and governments need to get right out of the banking system altogether. Fast. Let bad banks go bust, let the good assets be picked up, the bad ones can go down the gurgler, and we will be as right as rain in no time. :P

The London market possibly skews the average prices a bit, but its a different market, lots of foreign cash buyers hiding their wedge from authoritarian regimes.

But generally, in a market like Scotland, the price of houses is stupid, horribly inflated and bears no relation to anything really.

My house allegedly tripled in price since I moved in. :unsure: I had banks wanting to throw money at me for ages on the back of this alleged price rise. Just f**k off!

The London market possibly skews the average prices a bit, but its a different market, lots of foreign cash buyers hiding their wedge from authoritarian regimes.

But generally, in a market like Scotland, the price of houses is stupid, horribly inflated and bears no relation to anything really.

My house allegedly tripled in price since I moved in. :unsure: I had banks wanting to throw money at me for ages on the back of this alleged price rise. Just f**k off!

Should sell up and buy a new place in rural Perthshire.

Scotland's inequality 'widening', Oxfam warns: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22976909

Scotland's wealthiest households are now 273-times better off than the most deprived, according to a report.

"Scotland is one of the most unequal societies in the developed world. The wealthiest households are 273 times richer than the poorest households. This looks likely to widen in future years."

"In 2012 Scotland's 100 richest men and women increased their fortunes to £21bn, up from a combined wealth of £18bn in 2011. These deepening inequalities are accentuated by the declining progressivity of the UK tax and benefits system - which should address rather than exacerbate inequality."

The notion that work pays is also challenged, with the authors pointing out that the number of workers who live in poverty has gone from 255,000 to 280,000 since 2008.

The report said that working tax credits were "effectively subsidies from the public purse to employers paying poverty wages", and that all employers should pay a living wage."

Businesses paying less than the living wage cost society between £5.9bn and £6.3bn each year, the report stated.

It added: "In recent decades, the Scottish economy has been transformed from one based on manufacturing to a service-led, supposedly 'knowledge economy'.

"Retail and call centres have expanded to (partly) fill the void left by the demise of manufacturing. Service jobs have replaced skilled trades. Yet these new jobs do not necessarily offer a route out of poverty: many roles simply do not pay enough to live on, far less build for the future.

"Experiencing poverty in this rich country is also intensely stressful."

"Stigmatisation through media and political rhetoric adds to individuals' sense of anguish and isolation. They, not society, nor the economy, are blamed for their poverty. Meanwhile, pressures to consume abound in a culture that elevates status and image above relationships, community contribution or care for the environment."

Judith Robertson, head of Oxfam Scotland, said she believed the existing economic model was not working.

Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said: "Scotland is a wealthy country, but the reality is that the Westminster system has utterly failed to address the deep social inequalities which exist in Scottish society - indeed under successive Westminster governments those inequalities have been allowed to widen."

"Tackling and reversing that picture of inequality requires political will - but more fundamentally for Scotland it needs the key economic and social policy levers to be in the hands of the Scottish Parliament. "

I notice that the gap between rich and poor in Scotland is pretty vast these days.

Pleasing. <_<

No surprise that you find that 'pleasing' you toffee-nosed pompous troll. Karma will ram its fist up your ass sooner or later. :P

Just browsing through some stuff on Google and came across this:

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=221421

There was plenty of other capers like this one too. Now, obviously not everyone is like that, but let's not kid ourselves on that the majority of English (and to a lesser extent Norn Irish and Welsh) people don't actually believe this shite. They still utterly moronically think that we are subsidy junkies et al, when (yet again) the facts prove otherwise. Why anyone would want to remain in a union with that rather than stand up, shut them up, and show how great we can be is beyond me. Little fucking pussies, imo.

'Bitter Together' has never been more accurate.

YES.

Apparently they're "in awe" of Britain's institutions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/20/scotland-independence-hague_n_3470336.html

William Hague the corrupt heterophobe, nobody other than his fellow heterophobes listen to him anymore.

Angus Robertson on the other hand just tells it as it truly is:

Angus Robertson, the SNP Westminster leader and foreign affairs spokesman, said: "It is telling that William Hague is in Edinburgh today to lecture Scots on our place in the world, when he surely should be occupied with events unfolding in Syria."

"The test for William Hague is if he will mention the arsenal of nuclear weapons the UK government have in place on the Clyde, 30 minutes from Scotland's largest city, despite the majority of Scots being vehemently opposed. Or the UK's role in Iraq - an illegal war which cost the lives of over 100 000 civilians. Or maybe, the recent rendition flights reportedly using Scottish airports - against domestic and international law."

"Or will the Tory minister talk about the UK's role in the EU - which his party has left in jeopardy?"

"One hundred and fifty countries have become independent since 1945 and countries around the world more than understand the principle of being responsible for your own decisions. As an independent country Scotland will be one of the richest countries in the world and we will play an active part in the world. As the achievements of other countries show influence is not about size, it's about working together and how you use the powers that you have."

A spokesman for Yes Scotland, the formal pro-independence movement, said: "There's no bafflement, just a clear trend - independence is the natural state for nations like Scotland. Is Mr Hague suggesting that all these countries would be better suited returning to Westminster rule?"

No surprise that you find that 'pleasing' you toffee-nosed pompous troll. Karma will ram its fist up your ass sooner or later. :P

Karma?

I don't believe in Karma, that's far eastern religious pish.

Karma?

I don't believe in Karma, that's far eastern religious pish.

Karma doesn't care whether you believe in it or not, it will smack you about sooner or later irregardless of whether you believe in it or not. I love karma. :)

Scotland's inequality 'widening', Oxfam warns: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22976909

Sturgeon is talking shite as ever. What exactly is i she wants to do in order to close the gap? Her government allowed tax varying powers to slide anyway so she effectively sat and watched one of the blunt instruments she could punish successful people with in order to hand some of their wedge to feckless scum, disappear. Her government could easily stop the bedroom tax up here if she wanted it to.

She's a fucking lying arse of a woman.

Oh look, abuse, lies that have been disproven, and yet he's one of those that comments on aliases? Forget PB and his aliases, at least he attempts to keep things relevant.

Its the Unionists who are really dragging this thread to oblivion, as proven day in day out by HB, Reynard, Tryfield, Ad Lib et al.

Mine are that houses are vastly overpriced and need to come down in price. Probably more than half in price.

They bear virtually no relation to wages and the banks need to get back to making proper checks before lending money to anyone, and governments need to get right out of the banking system altogether. Fast. Let bad banks go bust, let the good assets be picked up, the bad ones can go down the gurgler, and we will be as right as rain in no time. :P

It doesn't happen often, but you're 100% correct here Reynard.

And wirh Osbourne currently orchestrating another Government backed housing boom down south and the return of 5% deposits, it looks like we're heading down the same desolate road again.

None of this makes sense. Buy a house you can barely afford, save for your old age but don't forget to spend all you have on shite you don't need!

Sturgeon is talking shite as ever. What exactly is i she wants to do in order to close the gap? Her government allowed tax varying powers to slide anyway so she effectively sat and watched one of the blunt instruments she could punish successful people with in order to hand some of their wedge to feckless scum, disappear. Her government could easily stop the bedroom tax up here if she wanted it to.

She's a fucking lying arse of a woman.

Neither she or her party created it. The Unionist parties created it. She is doing the correct thing by waiting until after the Independence vote to sort it. The vast majority of people who are struggling to pay that 'bedroom tax' are voters of the three Unionist parties. More fools them if they vote NO in next years referendum and hence allow whatever Unionist party gets into power to further impoverish them. I'm neither an SNP voter or fan of any of its leaders but that will not stop me from voting YES next year to rid Scotland of corrupt Westminster.

As you see I quote full then highlight, maybe better for you in the future, where we can all judge.

Anyway, are you sure you typed the correct words in the highlight, more and more within the UK this is not the reality, and is moving away from your belief. Do you relies this from your castle?

Can you point me towards a country where this is the reality?

Maybe they are away decorating his lovely new house in Perth. <_<

I wonder if PB will "turn bad" when the nats get told to f**k off by the Scottish public next September? Maybe he will go extreme like XBL promised to do. :lol:

Whats xbl's version of "going extreme"?

Become even more extremely gobby. :unsure2:

Oh look, abuse, lies that have been disproven, and yet he's one of those that comments on aliases? Forget PB and his aliases, at least he attempts to keep things relevant.

Its the Unionists who are really dragging this thread to oblivion, as proven day in day out by HB, Reynard, Tryfield, Ad Lib et al.

Your frustration is becoming more and more apparent. :)

Right down to your defence of a clearly mentally troubled PB.

Archived