Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Introducing this week's 'Totally Unscientific Social Network Stats'!
(14/04/13 - 21/06/13)

... Facebook 'likes':
Yes Scotland: +1450 (2.35%)
Better Together: +865 (1.75%)

Twitter followers:
Yes Scotland: +301 (1.66%)
Better Together: +109 (0.95%)

Running totals from 18/05/13 are as follows:

Facebook 'likes':
Yes Scotland: +10269 (19.43%)
Better Together: +3224 (6.84%)

Twitter followers:
Yes Scotland: +1379 (8.11%)
Better Together: +626 (5.70%)

Total figures for Facebook:
Yes Scotland: 63120
Better Together: 50351

Total figures for Twitter:
Yes Scotland: 18387
Better Together: 11611

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I arrived at Aberdeen Airport from Gatwick en route to Shetland this week the plane was told to have their passports ready for an impromptu immigration check as we left the plane. Cue mutterings about bloody Salmond getting ahead of himself from a number of passengers.

:) Good to hear.

Still avoiding talking about UKIP utterly fucking bombing in Scotland (yet again) last night, aye?

That was an excellent showing from UKIP. To get over 1,000 votes in an election dominated by local issues is quite impressive.

That was an excellent showing from UKIP. To get over 1,000 votes in an election dominated by local issues is quite impressive.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if anyone has wiped their arse with their lost deposit yet?

I admit I do troll quite a bit, but I also post quite a lot of decent/positive pro-indy arguments, imo.

"Labour's vote held steady". :lol:

The SNP still comfortably held this seat (which used to be a Labour seat), after two terms and six years in government. Liebour have been in opposition for six years and their vote has barely shifted. Replacing Brian Adam was hardly an easy task for Marc McDonald either.

The turnout in 2011 was 47%.

When was that?

When was that?

Please see my recent post in the other political thread.

Labour take Gilmerton, Derek lost it at the 7th.

Our vote didn't go down which bodes well for him next council election, when he will get in.

Bloody crossbar again!

What is this? I've not heard anything and it hasn't been in the media either.

Three by elections yesterday, Donside Markinch and Gilmerton. Derek lost by 15 votes in the summer which was a hefty kick in the baws, He lost in same fashion last night.

It's a strong labour ward, to get as close as he did was pretty impressive. Maybe if the party stopped fannying about with Glasgow and put as much resources into Edinburgh, we would be winning seats instead if going 'oh well'.....

Three by elections yesterday, Donside Markinch and Gilmerton. Derek lost by 15 votes in the summer which was a hefty kick in the baws, He lost in same fashion last night.

It's a strong labour ward, to get as close as he did was pretty impressive. Maybe if the party stopped fannying about with Glasgow and put as much resources into Edinburgh, we would be winning seats instead if going 'oh well'.....

Why hasn't this been in the media etc?

I admit I do troll quite a bit, but I also post quite a lot of decent/positive pro-indy arguments, imo.

"Labour's vote held steady". :lol:

The SNP still comfortably held this seat (which used to be a Labour seat), after two terms and six years in government. Liebour have been in opposition for six years and their vote has barely shifted. Replacing Brian Adam was hardly an easy task for Marc McDonald either.

The turnout in 2011 was 47%.

A win's a win but there are underlying figures which may be concerning.

2011 turnout 26707

SNP - 14790 (55.4%)

Labour - 7615 (28.5%)

2013 turnout 23378

SNP - 9814 (42%)

Labour - 7789 (33%)

So Labour's vote was broadly the same with a slightly lower turnout whilst the SNP vote fell by a third, to the lowest winning total ever recorded for this seat, which has always been an SNP seat.

So go on, why is it concerning? Give us an analysis.

Dunno, I never followed the by election and I have no idea what issues were campaigned on which is why I said "may be concerning". For all I know the SNP didn't bother getting off their arses at all and relied on their core vote. But as an outsider looking in, that's a spectacular collapse in SNP votes.

XBL will disagree with you. He thinks state, country and nation are synonyms. Unless you are trying to argue that the UK isn't a state either.

The word country has a very soft definition. The word state does not.

Is Texas a state?

A win's a win but there are underlying figures which may be concerning.

2011 turnout 26707

SNP - 14790 (55.4%)

Labour - 7615 (28.5%)

2013 turnout 23378

SNP - 9814 (42%)

Labour - 7789 (33%)

So Labour's vote was broadly the same with a slightly lower turnout whilst the SNP vote fell by a third, to the lowest winning total ever recorded for this seat, which has always been an SNP seat.

It's not the whole story though, broadly, there was no swing away from the SNP towards labour, the only viable challenger (who, let's not forget, did try to make this a mini referendum on independence, just look at the literature that was being sent out). It's probable that the majority of those lost votes were lost in the turnout, it doesnt look like the smaller parties gained much from the fall off in SNP votes either.

So, apathy rules. On the other hand, as a sitting party, the SNP were able to hold onto a byelection mid term. It's a difficult feat to achieve and fair play to them.

Archived