Jackie McNamara - It's not about the money..

3 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

You hate a guy that has the biggest win % of any manager in your clubs history and I'm the idiot, can't write this stuff

I'm fairly sure Archibalds win percentage shits on McNamaras, while being at a higher level.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did McNamara even do well with Thistle and United? It was Archibald who got Thistle promoted while it was Houston who brought through Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Gauld and Souttar. McNamaras only decent signings were Robertson and Ciftci.

Archibald got promoted with McNamaras team, he left for Utd half way through the season. Had them playing some good football as well.

Before his team was ripped apart at Utd he finished top 6 and made 2 cup finals and again was playing some brilliant football.

I genuinely don't get the hate for the guy

Just now, Tartantony said:

Well you're wrong, McNamara has the best win % in their history and laid the foundations for Archibald.

Got any proof for that? 

Got any proof for that? 

His win % was 45.33% and I can't find another one who beats that from any online source. If you can find one then I'll stand corrected. Even if you do manage to find one he'll still be up there as the second best and I will still fail to understand why he's hated. Thistle were going nowhere before he came in

He's a total arsehole without even looking at his career achievements as a manager. Is it a coincidence Aberdeen, partick and united fans all despise him?

Also after he pocketed cash for selling the entire core of his United side his recruitment was absolutely abysmal.

I see this TartonTwat has failed to also mention how he tried to hold Partick Thistle to ransom over a promotion bonus despite leaving them five months or so before they achieved this.

What's that got to do with his managerial ability?

He contributed to the promotion so deserved his bonus

He's a total arsehole without even looking at his career achievements as a manager. Is it a coincidence Aberdeen, partick and united fans all despise him?

Also after he pocketed cash for selling the entire core of his United side his recruitment was absolutely abysmal.

Do you actually believe that it was his decision to sell the core of his team? The chairman makes those decisions and the chairman didn't give him any money to replace those players with decent quality. Utd fans should really be looking at their chairman.

On this pocketing cash thing, why is this a problem for anyone?

McNamara did alright at Thistle, in terms of what the team achieved.  Nobody is arguing that.  He was hardly a footballing messiah for the though, despite all this 'highest win percentage' pish being floated about.  Nothing he's done later in his career suggests he would have maintained that, and arguably Archibald has done at least as well by keeping them up and gaining, I believe I'm correct in saying, more wins in the top tier than any other Thistle boss.  From everything we've seen since it seems he was more lucky than good at Thistle.

1 hour ago, Tartantony said:

I genuinely don't get the hate for the guy

I genuinely don't get why you don't get the hate for him.  Aside from his evident managerial failings if you look at Partick he essentially jumped ship to go to Dundee United for more money and to a bigger club.  The way of the world.  Only most mangers who do that don't try and weasel out of paying money they owe for breaching their contract by (as is allegedly the case) launching meretricious legal actions for bonus payments they certainly have no moral right to claim.  If you're a thistle fan then he evidently looks like a shameless money grabbing pr##k on that basis alone.  

At Dundee United he inherited a decent team, proceeded to gut said team of its best talent and presided over their steady decline from an exciting young side full of talent to a relegation-bound gang of dross.

24 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Do you actually believe that it was his decision to sell the core of his team?

We'll never know will we, but seeing as he got bonuses for selling said core of his team United fans are hardly going to be enamoured of they guy and trust he was acting at all times in the best interests of their club.  He never made any apparent protest, as some managers have, when the cream of his side was sold from under him.  Then again he had direct financial incentives not to do so.

You can waffle about win percentages as much as you like but he was also totally tactically inept at United.  I actually attended the Scottish Cup final against St Johnstone and despite having a far better squad he failed abjectly in all the major decisions that day.  His behaviour in the League Cup final, paralysed with indecision as Sean Dillon apparently decided he would determine whether or not he could continue to play after a knock, whilst McNamara took no action to reorganise the side whilst he was absent, was just bizarre.  Long before Mixu came, saw and said what's the fucking point McNamara had that side on the road to relegation.

So again I find it bizarre you're asking 'where's the hate' coming from when you consider how poorly he served Dundee United.  He mismanaged one of their best sides in years, squandered their best recent opportunities for glory and kicked them into a downward spiral they've yet to recover from.  The win percentage is hardly much consolation.

But then if you want to talk win percentages just look at York City: 16%.

Now I'm sure McNamara apologists (the BBC and Celtic fans basically) will make all sorts of excuses for him, but not only did he relegate them into the non-League in his first season, but given endless patience from a chairman who thinks he is some kind of footballing messiah he was actually on course to get them relegated again.  He could claim last season perhaps he'd inherited a lot of dross that couldn't hack it at that level, but this season he had ample opportunity to assemble his own squad.  He did and then they got their a##es handed to them on a regular basis by part-time sides such as Guiseley and couldn't the other day scrape past Curzon Ashton, a side a league below that.  That is to say his side couldn't put away a team struggling against relegation in the 6th tier of English football. 

Basically he's a sh#te manager.

That isn't in and of itself grounds for hating the guy, but he absolutely lacks any sort of class at all.  Aside from his questionable behaviour up here he's spent the entirety of his career at York pretending to be a good guy and accepting the responsibility for their decline whilst simultaneously laying the blame at the feet of the players (which he signed), the fans, the press and even ticket inspectors on the railways.  Given he's acted like a classless fud and seems to have no real managerial ability to back up his apparently high opinion of himself he's not overly popular.

Hope that helps you understand why folk aren't that fond of the guy.

2 hours ago, Tartantony said:

You hate a guy that has the biggest win % of any manager in your clubs history and I'm the idiot, can't write this stuff

Um, no.

Have a little look at how many away matches we had won the season we went up prior to Jackie fucking off to Utd. Then have a look at Archie's away record that season.

He signed a new contract with us, then very quickly left when Utd came in for him. He then had the brass neck to claim that he was due his promotion bonus which was almost certainly a ploy to get us to drop our claim for compensation from Utd.

He was a gutless, spineless coward at Aberdeen.

He shafted Dundee Utd over by raking in a fortune over player sales, replacing them with garbage like Bilate, had them well on the way to relegation and got punted.

Hilariously, given that you're a Celtic fan, he also fucked off when Wolves offered him more money than Celtic were offering to stay and bleated to the press about how it "wasn't about the money".

edit: this quote of Jackie's from the other thread in Misc Football posted by redstarstranraer is pretty much everything you need to know about his character (or lack thereof):

" I take responsibility for that because I gave them the opportunity, but there’s only so much you can do and it’s down to them"

He's a selfish piece of shit, defending him is bad, you should feel bad, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Do you actually believe that it was his decision to sell the core of his team? The chairman makes those decisions and the chairman didn't give him any money to replace those players with decent quality. Utd fans should really be looking at their chairman.

On this pocketing cash thing, why is this a problem for anyone?

I would reply to this but two posters have pretty much explained everything to you

In fairness, McNamara did pretty well at Firhill, putting us in a position to challenge for promotion with a team playing with real flair. The Stats Guy on the Thistle Forum came up with sound evidence of the respective contributions by McNamara & Archibald to our success that season:

Away Games - McNamara -  Played 9 Won 2 Draw 4 Lost 3 Points 10

Archibald   -   Played 9 Won 6 Draw 3 Lost 0 Points 21

Redstarstranraer pretty much nails it about the manner of his leaving as far as Thistle fans are concerned.

28 minutes ago, Redstarstranraer said:

I actually attended the Scottish Cup final against St Johnstone and despite having a far better squad he failed abjectly in all the major decisions that day

A far better squad? We won four of the five meetings that season, and kept clean sheets in those four games too. 

A far better squad? We won four of the five meetings that season, and kept clean sheets in those four games too. 

They also only managed one more win than us in the league over the season.

His wee crywank after the cup final was great as well. "Easier to stop than create"... well his team did neither while Saints did both. Wee p***k.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did McNamara even do well with Thistle and United? It was Archibald who got Thistle promoted while it was Houston who brought through Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Gauld and Souttar. McNamaras only decent signings were Robertson and Ciftci.

Exactly, plus he achieved literally nothing with the most talented group of players they've had for a while. 

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well perhaps 'far better' was a bit hyperbolic but I thought at the time that United squad was on balance the more talented, and certainly had a number of very talented individuals such as GMS and Andy Robertson.  That St Johnstone side getting the better of them that regularly says more, to me, about the relative abilities of the managers in the respective dugouts.  Which to return to my initial point suggests to me McNamara isn't a decent manger.

Archived