Jackie McNamara - It's not about the money..

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

I actually think that's more to do with our players being underrated than anything.

Dundee United players like GMS get talked up although all he ever did against us was hide from Dave MacKay.

This. Armstrong, GMS and Ciftci were all utterly dominated by Millar, Mackay and Wright that season, yet going into the Final everyone was raving about how exciting and talented they were.

Frazer Wrights interview after it summed it up perfectly.

Had the United players been managed properly they wouldn't have been dominated by Millar and Wright, who were decent enough players but limited. The point is the manager knew the limitations (and still does) and set the team up accordingly. 

I was about to make the point that Utd's more experienced players were much poorer compared to the youngsters but I've just looked up their squad. Guys like Michael Gardyne, Chris Erskine, Morgaro Gomis and Brian Graham have all been decent performers since leaving Utd. Turns out McNamara was just shit. 

Also his signings were dreadful. Bilate, Szromnik, Anier, Sneijder, Bodul, its a big list of utter dross. 

His only achievement was getting Thistle into a decent position for a push for the title, and he didn't even stay to see it out. 

On 17 October 2016 at 19:10, RandomGuy. said:

This. Armstrong, GMS and Ciftci were all utterly dominated by Millar, Mackay and Wright that season, yet going into the Final everyone was raving about how exciting and talented they were.

Frazer Wrights interview after it summed it up perfectly.

You're omitting to mention the first game, in which we pumped you 4-0, and that Jackie, in his wisdom, dropped Ciftci, GMS and Armstrong for the following fixture at McDiarmid Park.

Archived