Let's All Laugh At Celtic Thread

So you are annoyed, thanks for clearing that up. Feel free to block me if it bothers you so much instead of crying about it like a schoolgirl :lol:

It's quite a thing when the club you support turned its back and hid from the allegations all those years ago, avoiding the truth and answering the questions asked but to find its way all he way down the chain to the supporters (who go to Parkhead, but only to walk by it) is quite something. Rotten to the fucking core.

So you are annoyed, thanks for clearing that up. Feel free to block me if it bothers you so much instead of crying about it like a schoolgirl :lol:

How about you don't jump into debates with a differing viewpoint if you're not going to back up you're assertions? "Going out" isn't an excuse by the way as you can always take up from where you left off later on.

HTH.

So Rico, do you think that Celtic pander to the fake Irish?

Celtic have a Scottish and Irish identity, get over it. Or at the very least don't let it annoy or offend you.

The use of the word 'pander' suggests you think identifying with Ireland or overplaying your Irish identity is distasteful. Which seems like borderline bigotry to me.

I presume, however, that the outrage over a good luck tweet is more about annoyance at the fact that the Celtic football team are more successful than other football teams in this country and the Irish football team are slightly more successful than the Scottish one.

Celtic have a Scottish and Irish identity, get over it. Or at the very least don't let it annoy or offend you.

The use of the word 'pander' suggests you think identifying with Ireland or overplaying your Irish identity is distasteful. Which seems like borderline bigotry to me.

I presume, however, that the outrage over a good luck tweet is more about annoyance at the fact that the Celtic football team are more successful than other football teams in this country and the Irish football team are slightly more successful than the Scottish one.

So why didn't they send good luck tweets tonight to England and Wales?

Eta. There isn't anything distasteful about having an Irish identity. It is however cringe to scramble about finding Irish links in your family just to consider yourself something you're not. It then becomes distasteful so that you can link yourself to a side in a very grim conflict that saw alot of people die for stupid reasons.

Edited by mrcat1990

That question doesn't follow from anything I've written, so you shouldn't have used the word 'so'.

I also think the answer is contained in the first sentence of the post you have quoted.

Edited by The OP

Eta. There isn't anything distasteful about having an Irish identity. It is however cringe to scramble about finding Irish links in your family just to consider yourself something you're not. It then becomes distasteful so that you can link yourself to a side in a very grim conflict that saw alot of people die for stupid reasons.

Presumably most Celtic supporters don't have to 'scramble about' to find Irish links in their family. I don't - when your grandmother is Irish and your grandfather was descended from Irish immigrants it's not really difficult. The other side of my family is Scottish and so am I, but I'm a bit suspicious of people who want to make Scotland completely homogeneous and unflinchingly-patriotic.

After the 0-0 Hearts game I was drinking with a group of about 15 Celtic supporters who had come over from Kilkenny to watch the thrilling game, and I don't think they scrambled about to find an Irish identity either. Nor do the groups who fly the Dublin CSC and Belfast CSC flags (and flegs) at my end of the ground.

Edited by The OP

Presumably most Celtic supporters don't have to 'scramble about' to find Irish links in their family. I don't - when your grandmother is Irish and your grandfather was descended from Irish immigrants it's not really difficult. The other side of my family is Scottish and so am I, but I'm a bit suspicious of people who want to make Scotland completely homogeneous and unflinchingly-patriotic.

After the 0-0 Hearts game I was drinking with a group of about 15 Celtic supporters who had come over from Kilkenny to watch the thrilling game, and I don't think they scrambled about to find an Irish identity either. Nor do the groups who fly the Dublin CSC and Belfast CSC flags (and flegs) at my end of the ground.

My ancestry is Welsh and Irish. Funnily enough I don't feel the need to get all wrapped up in it so I can attach it too a conflict. That's all the Irishness with Celtic fans is about. Funny how you don't see their fans having massive tifos about the positive aspects of Irish culture, ie Yeates.

Why don't those Irish fans support their nearest League of Ireland team?

My ancestry is Welsh and Irish. Funnily enough I don't feel the need to get all wrapped up in it so I can attach it too a conflict. That's all the Irishness with Celtic fans is about. Funny how you don't see their fans having massive tifos about the positive aspects of Irish culture, ie Yeates.

Why don't those Irish fans support their nearest League of Ireland team?

They were going on about GAA more than anything - they seem extremely passionate about their local GAA teams, particularly hurling.

To be honest fair fucks to them for not supporting Man Utd like most Irish people. Call them gloryhunters if you like but it was a full weekend's journey there and back again just to see a bore draw with the jam buns.

I hope your 'why don't they have a tifo about Yeats' comment was intended to be humorous, because it's too silly to warrant a response.

Edited by The OP

Presumably you're just being a bellend but, this has nothing to do with identity and everything to do with responsibility. You can claim some made up links with the Weimar Republic or Galactic Imperium for all I care, just as long you act in the best interests of Scottish football and don't support the death star 11 when they're up against us.