The East Fife Thread

20 minutes ago, DDLL said:

It seems that Campbell was offered the job two weeks ago🤔

He’s been at the last three home games funnily enough!!!

Would be very happy with the DC appointment if it happens. I'd have thought him and his team would be out of our budget. Given the potential ownership change via the EFSS in the coming months having someone experienced in the dugout for the initial period of new ownership I think can only be a good thing. We're a very different set up to Arbroath so I do not expect him to perform the same miracles, but hopefully enough to get us at least competing to get out of this division again. We'll see!

I was told at the game you boys won last month that, if EF had lost, then MacDonald was getting his jotters and Campbell was being appointed.

Assuming he’s still motivated and has flushed the final season and a bit out his system that should be a terrific appointment. Maybe not so much for this season (although he’ll keep you up) but certainly to build something exciting next year.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

45 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Would be very happy with the DC appointment if it happens. I'd have thought him and his team would be out of our budget. Given the potential ownership change via the EFSS in the coming months having someone experienced in the dugout for the initial period of new ownership I think can only be a good thing. We're a very different set up to Arbroath so I do not expect him to perform the same miracles, but hopefully enough to get us at least competing to get out of this division again. We'll see!

How has this come about? Asking for a friend...

2 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

How has this come about? Asking for a friend...

Similar to Falkirk, via a Scottish Government loan but the key change being the shareholder showing a mild willingness to sell. Still not confirmed mind. 

8 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Always seen Greig as one of football's good guys, and glad to see he has walked away rather than face the bullet, especially from a club that he holds dear. However, and I posted this on here a couple of times last season, he never really seemed to learn from the mistakes that he made from his time at us. Despite a stint on the staff Annan between leaving Stirling and joining East Fife where some people thought he would have "learned the tools of the trade" before stepping back into the hot seat, but he obviously didn't. 

If you can entice the Campbell's, along with Young and Douglas to Methil, then that really would be something for you to get excited about.

This is what I thought when we appointed Greg when Crawford left that his stint at Stirling A back then has came back to hunt Greg at his time as a East Fife manager and I read your messages and viewed your concerns, which has been the story this season. Though I wish Greg all the best and he is still a legend at East Fife regardless I wish him all the best what holds for him.

Regarding having the Campbell's installed bringing in his backroom staff ie Young, Malcolm and Rab Douglas would be the icing to freshing the backroom as well as get excited where all levels at the football club within East fife have been stale at all accounts and we need freshness, we had backroom staff that's been here since pat slattery era if that and it something to get excited your quite right from someone on the outside I have been crying out for at this club.

I believe appointing DC will most likely stem the decline and he will stabilise the league position. However I fear that his appointment would  see the end of the youth system and we will no longer see the likes of Murray, Walls, Newton, Healy, Ramsay and others now on the brink with the U 20’s breaking through into the EF first team squad as DC will likely bring players in who will do a “short term” job for him and then leave. Just look at his track record at his previous clubs on blooding young and upcoming players.

So, short term ( to the end of the season) probably a safe and good appointment but long term , I have my doubts.

Just my opinion and views like.

47 minutes ago, Exiled Fifer said:

I believe appointing DC will most likely stem the decline and he will stabilise the league position. However I fear that his appointment would  see the end of the youth system and we will no longer see the likes of Murray, Walls, Newton, Healy, Ramsay and others now on the brink with the U 20’s breaking through into the EF first team squad as DC will likely bring players in who will do a “short term” job for him and then leave. Just look at his track record at his previous clubs on blooding young and upcoming players.

So, short term ( to the end of the season) probably a safe and good appointment but long term , I have my doubts.

Maybe the fact that we have played so many youngsters is the reason we have had a subpar season , 

52 minutes ago, Exiled Fifer said:

I disagree as dick bought Aaron Steele from us at start of the season and has been actively trying to sign Healy and tried to sign a few others over the years…

I would always love to play our u20s but I think the jump up in league is massive and how it’s hard to integrate players into a bad team how can they learn or become better in a bad team.

i think we can have a team that’s well organised with experienced players for the younger players to learn from and to make us a better team in the long term. It’s easier for us to integrate 1-2 youngsters into a good team then integrate 3-4 players into a bad team as well as better training and coaching from a solid coaching team

47 minutes ago, Exiled Fifer said:

I get the youth position was great but fielding youths we haven't much seen the rewards unlike jude Smith hence he was with Celtic when he came to us with unknown quality and we played him in L1 and got noticed hence the rewards that Newcastle took him for their academy at a much higher level again down south.

I feel that we already have the best from that group and we have regressed bar walls and flashes of charlie Murray when our defence is at their bare bones there but none of them show their good enough. Mean it was good thing setting up the youths but we need go in different direction and now isn't the time to bring up anymore.

Tuesday 6th February 2024

Dick Campbell Appointed Manager

East Fife Football Club are delighted to confirm the appointment of Dick Campbell as our new first-team manager.

Dick joins the club alongside his long-time backroom team of brother Ian and John Young and will take charge of his first match for this weekend’s match against Stenhousemuir at the MGM Timber Bayview Stadium.

Dick brings a wealth of experience to the club after a managerial career spanning 7 clubs and 4 decades and counts no fewer than 4 league titles and 3 further promotions among his many achievements.

Dick Campbell commented: “I am overjoyed to be named as the new 1st team manager of East Fife Football Club. I have always had a soft spot for the club dating back to my playing days when we had some massive games.

“This is the third opportunity that has arisen for me to take charge but previously the timing wasn't right for various reasons. Unfortunately, as with all managerial appointments, it means that someone has lost their job & I feel for Greig McDonald whom I have known since he was a YTS player under me at Dunfermline. 

“However, we must now look forward not back and I am relishing the chance to make East Fife a team to be feared again and to start climbing the leagues. I have been very impressed by the Board of Directors and their ambitions for the club, but we need everyone connected to the club to be 100% behind this project and that includes the fans.

“I am bringing with me my trusted backroom staff of my brother Ian & John Young and we can't wait to get started.”

Chairman Jim Stevenson added: “We as a board felt that this appointment had to be the right one for the club and had to be made quickly. Thankfully, Dick was available, and we were able to thrash out a deal to bring him and his backroom staff to the MGM Timber Bayview Stadium. We now look forward to what we hope will exciting times with Dick at the helm.”

There had to be a change and DC will bring stability and ensure we don’t fall into the LL

The chairman’s ambitions is to have a starting eleven from the Levenmouth area, I am guessing that is now on the back burner. We have good youngsters and hopefully they are part of the team now and in the future

Just now, Cambuslang Fifer said:

Am as much delighted we got Ian his brother in aswell his backroom staff, disappointed Rab Douglas hasn't joined but....

I think Rab and Big Lyndsay are having a bare knuckle fight in the car park and the winner gets to stay!!!