The Universe

11 hours ago, Dee Man said:

You should go to an obversvatory and check out Jupiter through a powerful telescope. Shit will blow your mind, yo.

Been meaning to get up to Balgay at some point to freak out in real time.

Oz has spectacular night skies, any observatories in the hood?

4 hours ago, banana said:

Been meaning to get up to Balgay at some point to freak out in real time.

Oz has spectacular night skies, any observatories in the hood?

Visited the Perth Observatory a few months back and wrote about it a few pages back. It was sensational. Going to go back at some point to see Saturn in full effect. 

The one lasting memory I have about the night was one old dear in the group asking one of the astronomers if the giant gas planet Jupiter had any "trees or foliage" :lol:

16 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Saw this recently, the observable v actual (theorised) universe size is bigger in difference than I imagined by some distance. More slightly terrifying stuff.

No idea why he used Pluto as the reference - also equates to about the size of a basketball compared to the Earth.

6 minutes ago, banana said:

Saw this recently, the observable v actual (theorised) universe size is bigger in difference than I imagined by some distance. More slightly terrifying stuff.

No idea why he used Pluto as the reference - also equates to about the size of a basketball compared to the Earth.

Pluto is used because of the big ears. 

Shhh. America can here us even out their.

7 hours ago, banana said:

On extremely large things, this article about Graham's Number is always worth a repost.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/11/1000000-grahams-number.html

You’ve obviously never heard of Melanius Mullarkey’s Number.

Its effectively Graham’s Number +1

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

There are some really big stars

I knew about the really big ones, I think one would fill the entire solar system, but I was more surprised you can get wee ones only 25km across. We should build or adopt one to supply all our energy needs.

I’m still a bit freaked out by the size of the universe. Even the solar system. 

If we were visited by another race we should be extremely terrified at how they managed to travel at the speed of light or faster. Unless they have discovered a wormhole or another unknown method. I think that, like nature, there’s a design somehow and that things are so far apart so we don’t destroy each other.  Much like how polar bears and penguins are poles apart. Or maybe they visited then thought we were backwards luddites fighting over magical fairies.