The Universe

43 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I’m still a bit freaked out by the size of the universe. Even the solar system. 

If we were visited by another race we should be extremely terrified at how they managed to travel at the speed of light or faster. Unless they have discovered a wormhole or another unknown method. I think that, like nature, there’s a design somehow and that things are so far apart so we don’t destroy each other.  Much like how polar bears and penguins are poles apart. Or maybe they visited then thought we were backwards luddites fighting over magical fairies.

Tell that to the Dodos. Our visitors will no doubt be self replicating AI robots who have been travelling for 2.4 Billion Years and have gone absolutely mad, and see Earth as a mineral resource with some annoying impurities that need to be eradicated. On the good side there will probably be no warning and we won't survive for long enough to know it even happened.

Edited by welshbairn

I mentioned Boote's Field earlier, I reckon there are maybe two reasons for these huge spheres with virtually nothing in them;

a) @welshbairntheory of the self replicating AI robots multiplying exponentially, spreading out from a single point and devouring everything they encounter

b) sophisticated aliens have built shields to hide themselves from the universe

If the Universe is teeming with other, more intelligent life, it shows how ducking worthless we are if they haven’t popped in for a cuppy and a chocolate hobnob.

Theres probably a massive galactic perty going on a couple of light years away with lots of alien totty and  we haven’t been invited because we’re too ugly and stupid:

15 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

The vastness of the universe is reassuring in the sense that we quite clearly go nowhere when we die, and our actions are essentially devoid of any consequence beyond our mortal coil.

23 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

We'll kill ourselves before we ever get close to finding someone else out there. The human race is a petty, short termist, selfish, greedy, worthless load of tossers.

Cheery start to the weekend.

39 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If the Universe is teeming with other, more intelligent life, it shows how ducking worthless we are if they haven’t popped in for a cuppy and a chocolate hobnob.

Theres probably a massive galactic perty going on a couple of light years away with lots of alien totty and  we haven’t been invited because we’re too ugly and stupid:

Well, you certainly haven't been invited. 

59 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Well, you certainly haven't been invited. 

C96C225E-B552-414C-8B29-876E38451568.thumb.jpeg.b203b249aa3e84add3896b7040567013.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I hope a meteor lands right on your head. 

6D425CAF-AF23-4DEB-9990-B6C5728F1E14.thumb.jpeg.24395290dcc276a28871edf45971f009.jpeg

54 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I’m working tomorrow, cunto. My weekend starts Sunday.

7E139E84-EB90-4A6E-8860-A3CA74767D8A.jpeg.4c7743e42f006cba0ab869c235113c63.jpeg

Busy day in space.

1130 Soyuz attempt a manned launch to the space station after last one failed. NASA TV (livestream started Here. )

1700 NASA probe arrives at near earth orbiting asteroid Bennu. NASA TV

1830 Space X launch about 60 satellites and attempt to land stage one on ship and catch fairing on other ship in a big net. SpaceX website.

Times are approximate, broadcasts start about 15 minutes before. 

Edited by welshbairn