Car advice

A diesel, have you had the particle filter checked?
Lass at my work got one a couple of months ago and about a month down the line was struggling to start and then stopped completely.
Turns out that whilst at garage it was taken for short test runs by potential buyers and the particle filter was clogged from all the short journeys (well, was the reason she said the mechanic gave. Not 100% sure if this can be a thing)
It definitely is a thing, I spend half my working life bombing up and down the motorway in the Seat Ibiza diesels that the Glasgow Council home helps use. They only travel short distances between clients and the DPFs clog up all the time, they have to get very hot to burn off the accumulated soot. Usually a warning light would come on to let you know the DPF was sooting up though.

I'm still driving with my car rattling over bumps on the road and when I turn right. Theres a shuddering noise and it's a rough ride! Anyone know if this is anything to be concerned about (pic below) 
20200424_153758.thumb.jpg.9be740e12a50f7890c381a957ad19260.jpg
Is this bit attached to anything? It looks like it's floating in mid air in your pic?20200424_181549.jpg

23 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'm still driving with my car rattling over bumps on the road and when I turn right. Theres a shuddering noise and it's a rough ride! Anyone know if this is anything to be concerned about (pic below) 

20200424_153758.jpg

Nay you’re fine.  Just take it on a long drive after nightfall, it will sort itself out.

25 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

You can get anywhere in the world by only driving straight on or turning left, just takes a bit longer. Be patient.

39 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

20200424_153758.jpg

Thats your drop link, which is completely fucked. Its meant to be connected but has broken right off.

Longer you drive it like that, the higher the risk you f**k the strut, and a 30 min £20 repair goes into the hundreds.

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

What you describe sounds rather like a drop link is knackered.     

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats your drop link, which is completely fucked. Its meant to be connected but has broken right off.

Longer you drive it like that, the higher the risk you f**k the strut, and a 30 min £20 repair goes into the hundreds.

Cheers guys. I thought because it was still connected at one part that it would be ok to drive for now. The kicker is, the local garages are shut right now. It was worrying me that it woulda be a big repair job and cost hundreds 

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Cheers guys. I thought because it was still connected at one part that it would be ok to drive for now. The kicker is, the local garages are shut right now. It was worrying me that it woulda be a big repair job and cost hundreds 

It's doing nothing when its disconnected. 

It literally takes about half an hour to change, at worst, as it's just two nuts to take off, new one on, tighten two nuts.

I'd be surprised if the whole job cost more than £60.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

It's doing nothing when its disconnected. 

It literally takes about half an hour to change, at worst, as it's just two nuts to take off, new one on, tighten two nuts.

I'd be surprised if the whole job cost more than £60.

Thanks. Would that cause a noise when I get out the car though? I’m not that fat (12 stone), but every time I get out the car it creeks 

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

Thanks. Would that cause a noise when I get out the car though? I’m not that fat (12 stone), but every time I get out the car it creeks 

It's related to the suspension so it's possibly linked.

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Would there be any tell tale signs to look for if my suspension was gone too? I had a look under the car and everything seems to look ok there’s (nothing hanging down or anything) 

If your strut was knackered it would be soaking wet, from your photo it's fine.

The rest could be hard to tell without getting it off the ground tbh.

Best thing you could do would get it seen too, you run the risk of causing more damage the longer you leave it. Just now it could just be the one drop link causing all the issues.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If your strut was knackered it would be soaking wet, from your photo it's fine.

The rest could be hard to tell without getting it off the ground tbh.

Best thing you could do would get it seen too, you run the risk of causing more damage the longer you leave it. Just now it could just be the one drop link causing all the issues.

Cheers for that. I just messaged some random mechanic and I’ve sent him the same pic I posted here. Hopefully I’ll get it seen to soon and it won’t cost hundreds! 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The mechanic got back to me and said that the end bit has broken off it, so that’s likely to be the cause of the problems. Cheers for the help guys. It’s getting fixed on Thur...no mention of potential costs though! 

As RandomGuy mentioned, this should typically be half an hour's labour ..., plus cost of the part.  Part usually in the region of £10 - £15.