Car advice

43 minutes ago, beefybake said:

As RandomGuy mentioned, this should typically be half an hour's labour ..., plus cost of the part.  Part usually in the region of £10 - £15.

Cheers for that. If he starts quoting £100+ I’ll tell him he’s at it. I’d probably have never noticed the problem part in the pic I posted, but my wheels were turned outwards when I was stationary and I spotted it straight away. Maybe it was fate !

Just a wee word of caution on the automatic 6 month extension on your MOT due to Coronavirus. 

A-P Jnr’s car was due up now but got an extension to October. A variety of reasons - one being philanthropy to the local garage who had just seen their next 6 months work evaporate in front of them - I went ahead and got it MOT’d anyway. 

A missing droplink in the front suspension and a near cut through brake hose were two standout comments on the fail sheet. 

If the MOT is due on your car and your  garage is open, I’d suggest the annual check is still very much worthwhile getting done. 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Got my car fixed today. He put two new drop links on and a spring also needed replaced. He said he’d send the bill out to me. Any idea what the damage will be? 

Check eurocarparts with you registration, get their prices for the parts then add £150 for labour. Wont be exact but it should give a rough idea.

My wee corsa is gubbed, head gasket away. £800 - £1000 to get fixed, 57 plate so not financially viable. Been looking at a 1.25 58 plate fiesta zetec, £1595, 76k on the clock. Yay or nay?? 

1 minute ago, philpy said:

My wee corsa is gubbed, head gasket away. £800 - £1000 to get fixed, 57 plate so not financially viable. Been looking at a 1.25 58 plate fiesta zetec, £1595, 76k on the clock. Yay or nay?? 

What’s the mileage on your Corsa? If it’s near the 76k mark I’d probably just replace the head gasket rather than pay £1500 for a car that’s done quite a lot of miles 

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

I didnt think to ask until I was away. Stupid I know 

You should've asked on the way in, never mind the way out.

The garage I use takes the car and calls after looking at it to give a price before starting any work.

33 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

What’s the mileage on your Corsa? If it’s near the 76k mark I’d probably just replace the head gasket rather than pay £1500 for a car that’s done quite a lot of miles 

85k. 

On 24/04/2020 at 18:26, Thereisalight.. said:

As you can tell I’m not good with car troubles 😬

From this

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

To this in a month.

You're almost as bad as most wee fanny apprentices nowadays, think they know it all after 2 minutes at college :lol:

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You should've asked on the way in, never mind the way out.

The garage I use takes the car and calls after looking at it to give a price before starting any work.

I should have. I’ve used the garage a few times and they never quote prices beforehand. They’re not cowboys. It’s just the way he does things I guess 

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

From this

To this in a month.

You're almost as bad as most wee fanny apprentices nowadays, think they know it all after 2 minutes at college :lol:

Not even a month, a week 😂

was just thinking about what I’d do personally. 

13 minutes ago, pub car king said:

For what it's worth a fiesta is an infinitely better car than a corsa

I ditched my corsa at Christmas for a 15 plate Mondeo.

Which has developed a £1500 min fault and it’s currently adandoned until finanace and Arnold Clark decide who’s repairing it. 

4 hours ago, philpy said:

I’d avoid it personally. In a nutshell my experiences of Fords is you’ll get 60k on the clock no problem, but once the problems start they don’t stop.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

For what it's worth a fiesta is an infinitely better car than a corsa

A turd and a toley right there IMO. 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

My Dad had a 07 Fiesta and had no end of problems with it. He eventually had to scrap it after 90k miles as it needed a multitude of things done to it

Again, with Ford, once the problems start... 😬

13 hours ago, philpy said:

Just a heads up for any expensive but common repairs like this, and obviously at the moment garage choice may be limited, but we've used Whocanfixmycar.com a few times and saved a lot of money. You have local garages bidding for the work so it keeps the price down.

Renault wanted over £1200 for a timing chain kit on one of our vans but using this service we got it done for £800. Also on a Corsa, a workmate was quoted £7-800 from Vauxhall for a timing kit but ended up paying £400-odd locally.

13 hours ago, philpy said:

Head gasket gone thread for this pish.

18 hours ago, philpy said:

Unless you're really desperate to get another car,  might be an idea to ask around for a better price than £800+  for a head gasket repair.   Typical price for a HG repair on a 'bread and butter' car is more like £350 - £450.      And if you're really skint, you could look at one of the 'pour in' head gasket fixes.  Steel Seal, K-Seal .......  If you do, make sure you're looking at something that seals head gaskets, rather than is really just for radiators.

Edited by beefybake