Car advice

After saying Cazoo were decent after 2 and a bit months the emission control warning light is on and the first time they can take a look is the 18th, probably what comes from only having one garage in Scotland.

35 minutes ago, 101 said:

After saying Cazoo were decent after 2 and a bit months the emission control warning light is on and the first time they can take a look is the 18th, probably what comes from only having one garage in Scotland.

Is it a diesel? If so, take it for a blast, driving in a lower gear.

57 minutes ago, 101 said:

My old 184hp diesel Leon was a c**t for the emissions light. Had a real battle with the garage. Eventually parked it outside with a load of rude notes about them stuck to the windows and they fixed it all under warranty and said something deep in the dpf was faulty after all. 

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

My old 184hp diesel Leon was a c**t for the emissions light. Had a real battle with the garage. Eventually parked it outside with a load of rude notes about them stuck to the windows and they fixed it all under warranty and said something deep in the dpf was faulty after all. 

Not sure if this warrants a Kenneth or not... 

37 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Is it a diesel? If so, take it for a blast, driving in a lower gear.

Petrol and auto, wonder if I force it in a low gear it will see sense? Also it has an error with the stop start, I just thought the battery was low but it didn't clear after a non stop run to North Wales so figured that would have fully charged the battery.

14 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Cheers, the warranty expires on the 24th so I'm glad they are looking at it when it's covered and just hope they can't sort it out, it's going up to Glenshee next week and it seems fine but I'd rather they looked at it sooner rather than later.

Two separate times I've had the emission light come on and both times it ended up just needing the fuel filter replaced. Apparently that warning light can point to multiple things. The garage I took the car to plugged it in and there was a fault code pointing to a blocked filter.

After this I bought my own bluetooth code reader for 20-odd quid which has come in handy a few times since.

10 hours ago, 101 said:

Petrol and auto, wonder if I force it in a low gear it will see sense? Also it has an error with the stop start, I just thought the battery was low but it didn't clear after a non stop run to North Wales so figured that would have fully charged the battery.

What kind of car is it? 

I had a problem with the stop / start in mine not working and when it was taken in it turned out to be a problem with the ABS brake module at the rear was broken.

1 hour ago, The Stig said:

What kind of car is it? 

I had a problem with the stop / start in mine not working and when it was taken in it turned out to be a problem with the ABS brake module at the rear was broken.

Seat Leon

Got a weird issue with my motor going on just now where generally when the engine is not long started and the temperature is still low get this awful shuddering, feels like it's rattling your bones about but as soon as it begins to heat up it was going away. No warning lights and when it's up to temp after a minute or two it clears itself and runs fine. 

Me and my brother in law who does tinker with his cars had a look over it, nothing leaking, engine etc looks fine, he had a look at the exhaust and the cat etc to see if there was anything obvious there but nothing. Checked it for any code errors with the wee thing you plug in and again nada. 

Doesn't seem to be causing any other issues ie it's not causing anything to overheat and there's no warning lights so thought it's maybe an issue with airflow or possibly shite in the fuel lines, fired through a double dose of that redex stuff and the first run I had out with it yesterday after having done so where I was deliberately running it in lower gears at higher speeds and it seemed to clear it. Started the car again last night and it got up to temperature fine but then after a brief stop and restart with the engine still way above cool, it happened again so feel like am back at square one. 

Going to take it out a few more runs later to try and see what happens but any other suggestions? It's got it's MOT coming up shortly so will be going into the garage anyway but I'm now more curious about it than anything else.

Kia Sportage Diesel btw. 

28 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Got a weird issue with my motor going on just now where generally when the engine is not long started and the temperature is still low get this awful shuddering, feels like it's rattling your bones about but as soon as it begins to heat up it was going away. No warning lights and when it's up to temp after a minute or two it clears itself and runs fine. 

Me and my brother in law who does tinker with his cars had a look over it, nothing leaking, engine etc looks fine, he had a look at the exhaust and the cat etc to see if there was anything obvious there but nothing. Checked it for any code errors with the wee thing you plug in and again nada. 

Doesn't seem to be causing any other issues ie it's not causing anything to overheat and there's no warning lights so thought it's maybe an issue with airflow or possibly shite in the fuel lines, fired through a double dose of that redex stuff and the first run I had out with it yesterday after having done so where I was deliberately running it in lower gears at higher speeds and it seemed to clear it. Started the car again last night and it got up to temperature fine but then after a brief stop and restart with the engine still way above cool, it happened again so feel like am back at square one. 

Going to take it out a few more runs later to try and see what happens but any other suggestions? It's got it's MOT coming up shortly so will be going into the garage anyway but I'm now more curious about it than anything else.

Kia Sportage Diesel btw. 

Glow plugs maybe?

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Glow plugs maybe?

That was my bro in laws next thing to check after I ran it a few more times to see if the cleaner made any difference so always good to see someone else come up with the same suggestion as I'm a complete dunce wae anything car related. 

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Kia Sportage Diesel btw. 

My first thought was glow plugs too, but that would usually be accompanied by noticeable smoke from the exhaust due to incomplete combustion.

Have you noticed if the revs are lower than normal when you get the shuddering, or does the shuddering stop if you give a small amount of throttle at idle?