Car advice

59 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Mechanic bringing car back, hits pot hole, obliterates tyre and is waiting on a recovery truck.

If the tyres aren’t almost new, replacing a pair is recommended. If it’s FWD and you don’t replace the pair, new tyre with an old on the rear…AWD, replace a pair (again, assuming the other tire has any wear). It’s a matter of different rotational diameters (differing by a small amount, but still enough in time) being harmful by wearing the the transaxle or differential more than normal.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

If the tyres aren’t almost new, replacing a pair is recommended. If it’s FWD and you don’t replace the pair, new tyre with an old on the rear…AWD, replace a pair (again, assuming the other tire has any wear). It’s a matter of different rotational diameters (differing by a small amount, but still enough in time) being harmful by wearing the the transaxle or differential more than normal.

Aye ok, that makes f**k all sense to me but I'm fucked if I'm replacing two. 

The wife's car was booked in for its MOT today. Took the car down and the garage is closed for the day due to a funeral. I'll phone tomorrow to rearrange.

So, quick question - if the garage cannot take the wife's car this week, is there another garage in the Falkirk area anyone would recommend? 

Needing to upgrade unfortunately. My wee Mirage has been an absolute joy of a car costing me the absolute minimum amount of money. I'll be sad to see it go but it's just not a family car. 

Like clothes shopping, I take absolutely no joy from buying a new car. Think I'm going with the SEAT Arona. Big enough but not too big. Small engine so should be cheap to run and my mechanic said they're decent motors as well. 

Has anyone got one? Are they decent enough cars to drive? 

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Needing to upgrade unfortunately. My wee Mirage has been an absolute joy of a car costing me the absolute minimum amount of money. I'll be sad to see it go but it's just not a family car. 

Like clothes shopping, I take absolutely no joy from buying a new car. Think I'm going with the SEAT Arona. Big enough but not too big. Small engine so should be cheap to run and my mechanic said they're decent motors as well. 

Has anyone got one? Are they decent enough cars to drive? 

Mate of mine bought one and he likes it. Says it’s nippy and pretty fun to drive. I know this is going to be something you’ve maybe done already, but I usually find the online review videos by that guy from CarWow to be informative and entertaining. Matt Watson or somebody is it? The ones where he ends up saying should you avoid it, shortlist it, or buy it. Like every review, there’s something they won’t like. Seems to be rear passenger space in this one. Me & the Mrs both drive VW Polos and love them, but every single review always says ‘a Fiesta is more fun to drive’. She had a Fiesta before the Polo, and in our opinion, the difference between the ‘fun’ in driving them is wafer-thin. Both were/are good cars. Anyway… fun is subjective. The Polos have proved to have better build quaity, better infotainment systems, and better interior design than the Fiesta, so swings & roundabouts.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/seat/arona#gref

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The wife's car was booked in for its MOT today. Took the car down and the garage is closed for the day due to a funeral. I'll phone tomorrow to rearrange.

So, quick question - if the garage cannot take the wife's car this week, is there another garage in the Falkirk area anyone would recommend? 

Muirhall Motors - Muirhall Rd Larbert.  Have used them for years and they are reliable and honest.

I don't know specifically about the arona but the ibiza is a solid car which I think its loosely based on. 

I'm currently running a new shape leon which is decent apart drom a few glitches with the control panel. It doesn't have any buttons at all so everything is done through a touch screen or shouting "hola" at it. 

37 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I don't know specifically about the arona but the ibiza is a solid car which I think its loosely based on. 

I'm currently running a new shape leon which is decent apart drom a few glitches with the control panel. It doesn't have any buttons at all so everything is done through a touch screen or shouting "hola" at it. 

Try saying it in German...

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

Who had ten days in the sweepstake?

Cinch having to collect it from far north of Scotland is pleasing!

Right, c'mon then, what's the budget and how many weans/dugs does it need to accommodate? I'm sure the PnB massive can't possibly have any worse luck than you've had when picking cars...

5 hours ago, RH33 said:

Who had ten days in the sweepstake?

Cinch having to collect it from far north of Scotland is pleasing!

Well, you started it out right by having an inspection…it just went downhill from there.

I’m leery of the online retailers because those cars with lower miles are often sold for a reason. If you can, a local seller (business or private) of some sort might mean being able to nip the car down to a local mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection before you dive in…but the availability of such a seller with a vehicle you need is hit of miss. I picked up an older 

Is there anything in common with where or how you purchased this string of dubious mechanical horses?

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Right, c'mon then, what's the budget and how many weans/dugs does it need to accommodate? I'm sure the PnB massive can't possibly have any worse luck than you've had when picking cars...

We're going with a Kia Ceed estate from Dickson's in Inverness.

'19 plate 21k.

Cinch sending a lorry to Golspie to collect the insignia.

5 minutes ago, RH33 said:

'19 plate 21k.

Hope it doesn’t give you any trouble, I’m sure it won’t.

But, if it does, there’s a prominent poster on here that you can harangue with any travails you might have. Not sure which iteration of profile he’s on now but I think it might be @EV9

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

'19 plate 21k.

Got my last car from Dicksons and my mum bought one from them last year. Both no bother. Good luck with this one. 

I got a new car in March. A Hyundai Kona Hybrid. To go from barely 20mpg on my Kia Sportage to 60mpg on this. What money I am saving on fuel.