Car advice

20 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

It's mental how the market has gone & totally unsustainable imo

Last year my 2016 Mini was worth the same as I paid for it in 2019 but then the knock on, of buying something else was extortionate!

I'd seriously consider buying new, then changing it after a year or two, if these 2nd hand prices continue.

I noticed at a Nissan garage that the only second hand cars going for a reasonable price are electric, Nissan Leafs, and they have a shed load of them, mostly 2-3 years old. Doesn't inspire me with confidence at making the switch.

On pricing I reckon the market is due a correction. There's a huge proportion of new/ish cars out there being run on very cheap finance deals that were struck when the base rate was effectively 0%. When these finance deals reach maturity there's going to be an awful lot of people unable to afford swapping into a newer car at the current finance rates. 

As always though, it is never the right time. Deal now at a high price and your trade in is worth something. Accept my hypothesis, wait for prices to drop and your car is suddenly viewed as worthless.

6 hours ago, RH33 said:

Aye I was looking at tyres yesterday, I thought the mechanic I had paid cash to to change them. Apparently to all weather ones that would last 40k miles.

Was when it slipped couple weeks ago I looked and realised he hasn't.

Michelin’s would be the “best”, but will also be the most expensive. A known brand, all-season, tyre is the best overall choice, unless you have special needs (such as often seeing snow), so perhaps Yokohama or Continental might fit well. I’m very leery of the typical “value” Chinesium tyres, as their lifespan is often poor and their abilities and quality suspect.

Edited by TxRover

On 06/08/2023 at 16:10, pub car king said:

How can I put this diplomatically ? Jags reliability is non existent and you will want to drive it into a wall, if the fucking thing actually drives. 

Only the i-pace isn't actually built by Jag, it's built by Magna Steyr

On 06/08/2023 at 15:48, Thistle_do_nicely said:

tentatively looking at electric cars; not going into depth on the financial side of it, but I legit really like the look of the Jaguar I-Pace and there's a few that cropped up online which I might be able to stretch to. Interior and exterior look brilliant in the photos, but it nags at me from the horror stories on here with jaguar/land rover models that it'd end up being a money pit...

Am I still generally better off going with a hybrid? Would be a few months away anyway tbh and my petrol is still going strong so will look more in depth at what's out there when I've got a firm idea on how much I can spend. There were a handful of hybrid Cupra Formentors that looked lovely and all which I can maaaybe stretch to.

Pal of mine used to work at Toyota and he's said they're a bit pricey for parts but their hybrid/electric tech is generally some of the best out there, seen a handful of Corolla's out and about that look decent imo.

It's a great car but if you are going for the HSE then the range will be about 180 miles.

I had mine from new and driven 45K miles.  Really nice car but try and get one with the Active air suspension.

Edited by strichener

4 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

I have a fiesta and a bit worried about the tyres. I replaced one due to a bulge recently. I have noticed some cracking to the two of my tyres, may be dry rot. Best to get these replaced? MOT is coming up.

No, they sound fine.

31 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

I have a fiesta and a bit worried about the tyres. I replaced one due to a bulge recently. I have noticed some cracking to the two of my tyres, may be dry rot. Best to get these replaced? MOT is coming up.

Best to replace tires in at least pairs, unless the one being replaced is barely worn.

2 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Rather depends on where the cracks are.  Minor cracking between the treads isn't necessarily a fail. 

Also, decent brand tyres tend not to crack until they are well old. Some of the cheap Chinese ditchfinders of infinitely variable

names can develop cracks here, there, and everywhere within a very short time.

18 months in the case of the Rovellos that the previous owner fitted to my car.

On 23/08/2023 at 22:31, beefybake said:

Rather depends on where the cracks are.  Minor cracking between the treads isn't necessarily a fail. 

Also, decent brand tyres tend not to crack until they are well old. Some of the cheap Chinese ditchfinders of infinitely variable

names can develop cracks here, there, and everywhere within a very short time.

18 months in the case of the Rovellos that the previous owner fitted to my car.

A picture will better explain. Two rears are like this.

IMG_20230816_140119942.jpg

18 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

That would pass a MOT, assuming theres no bigger ones anywhere.

They can only fail a tyre for cracking if they can shine a torch in and see cords, which you won't be able to in those cracks.

3 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

What brand..?

How old ?   [  Look for the DOT marker, followed by 4 digits..., 2 are the Week, and 2 are the year. Eg DOT 2820   means week 28 of 2020 ].