Car advice

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Attach the cables from the battery to your baws.

All going well you'll feel a "message of hope" that the car is OK.

Only works right if you have remote start…otherwise the cables are too short for you to reach the start button or key.

Posted (edited)
On 17/03/2024 at 23:44, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Wondering if anyone has any quick ways to tell what a fault might be on my car (will get it looked at soon but just even if i can brace myself in case it might be something pricey)

- 1.6 turbo astra petrol, 52k miles on it

- out driving yesterday, first ive noticed this. Lots of puddles/surface water, but i dont actually think i went through any prior to it starting, maybe exacerbated it, idk

- no warning or dash lights

- basically: the car runs more or less as normal, but at idle theres like a chugging noise started coming out of the engine and an occasional fairly high pitched kind of trill when its in motion. When the engine revs the chugging sound goes away

- turning the engine off it now makes an unearthly screeching noise

It went away when i started it up again today but came back after a couple of minutes of driving.

Not sure. Fan belt/loose bearing? Did open the bonnet and the sound is coming kind of near the driver side tyre i think.

Unsure if/how its linked, but a long while later...

Been in the garage for weeks. High crank case pressure, been advised theres probably something wrong with a piston seal/ring or a piston is cracking/melting 😭

They've advised they've got it running fine for now, but have changed a few filters and will try one or two more things to get the pressure down. Car will run for a while but they're advising to get shot of the car within a year, would apparently be a full engine strip to fix down the line if thats what the fault is.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

8 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Been in the garage for weeks. High crank case pressure, been advised theres probably something wrong with a piston seal/ring or a piston is cracking/melting 😭

They've advised they've got it running fine for now, but have changed a few filters and will try one or two more things to get the pressure down. Car will run for a while but they're advising to get shot of the car within a year, would apparently be a full engine strip to fix down the line if thats what the fault is.

Give RH33 a message - he will take it off your hands at a reasonable price and then he can post about the problems.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hard Graft said:

Give RH33 a message - he* will take it off your hands at a reasonable price and then he can post about the problems.

*She

Give it to Arnold Clark. They enjoy selling duff cars.

Edited by RH33

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Slightly conflating a bit here, sorry 😂

So the garage have said its probably one of the oil rings on a piston that's a bit worn; the car itself is driving fine, its just that its got slightly high crank case pressure. Point still stands to get rid within a few thousand miles/next couple of years, however, just as a precaution.

Different pal I spoke to that hasn't looked at the thing said the piston rings on mine can be prone to overheating and said something about a PCV (I know nothing about cars tbh) which is where I picked that up from.

Wasn't sure if that would be an advisory/fail when its due its next MOT, but seemingly not, so got a bit of time yet. Bit of a pain because the parts themselves are buttons, its just the labour costs mean it's not really worth it - says online it'd almost be worth just getting a brand new fucking engine and fitting it in there rather than stripping the engine for the sake of a fault in and around one or more pistons? idk.

Is there any sorcery that can be done with some kind of remapping to prolong the life of it with the fuel air mixture?

7 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

So the garage have said its probably one of the oil rings on a piston that's a bit worn; the car itself is driving fine, its just that its got slightly high crank case pressure. Point still stands to get rid within a few thousand miles/next couple of years, however, just as a precaution.

Different pal I spoke to that hasn't looked at the thing said the piston rings on mine can be prone to overheating and said something about a PCV (I know nothing about cars tbh) which is where I picked that up from.

Wasn't sure if that would be an advisory/fail when its due its next MOT, but seemingly not, so got a bit of time yet. Bit of a pain because the parts themselves are buttons, its just the labour costs mean it's not really worth it - says online it'd almost be worth just getting a brand new fucking engine and fitting it in there rather than stripping the engine for the sake of a fault in and around one or more pistons? idk.

Is there any sorcery that can be done with some kind of remapping to prolong the life of it with the fuel air mixture?

I’m not a mechanic but just had to scrap my 8 year old/85,000 mile Jeep Grand Cherokee when the engine died after being told at its last service that there were piston issues. Never envisaged that the engine would die and wish the Jeep dealer had been clear that it was potentially terminal.

In short I’d suggest you get rid to We Buy Any Car sharpish as in my experience any talk of engine stripping is fanciful and the cost would be prohibitive versus cashing in now to WBAC where there will be no come back to you if it does die soon after you pass it on as opposed to flogging it to an individual who may come knocking on your door.

18 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Give RH33 a message - he will take it off your hands at a reasonable price and then he can post about the problems.

See, now there’s where the pronouns can be useful…they there would have saved a lot of angst.

14 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Worn oil ring would result in increased oil consumption. Have you seen any oil needed?

Perhaps they intend to suggest a worn ring in general, but that could be a seized ring instead. There’s a crap load of snake oily stuff that claims to loosen seized rings, but nothing that a reputable mechanic would bet on. If a ring is seized, it’s allowing pressure into the crankcase, and probably messing with the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation).

One thing you could try is a “Fuel System Cleaner” with PEA (Polyether-amine) like Techron, Wynn’s, Redex or STP. Just chose one that clearly says “Fuel System Cleaner”, and includes PEA in the ingredients. It’s not anywhere near assured it will help, but it could if it’s just one ring gone a bit sticky. Don’t go for the £4.99 special, buy a good quality additive in the correct size and cross your fingers. Personally, I like, the Techron.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Worn oil ring would result in increased oil consumption. Have you seen any oil needed?

Perhaps they intend to suggest a worn ring in general, but that could be a seized ring instead. There’s a crap load of snake oily stuff that claims to loosen seized rings, but nothing that a reputable mechanic would bet on. If a ring is seized, it’s allowing pressure into the crankcase, and probably messing with the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation).

One thing you could try is a “Fuel System Cleaner” with PEA (Polyether-amine) like Techron, Wynn’s, Redex or STP. Just chose one that clearly says “Fuel System Cleaner”, and includes PEA in the ingredients. It’s not anywhere near assured it will help, but it could if it’s just one ring gone a bit sticky. Don’t go for the £4.99 special, buy a good quality additive in the correct size and cross your fingers. Personally, I like, the Techron.

Cheers for that, worth a go tbh and its not something ive ever popped in the petrol cap in the 4 years ive had the car, cant hurt 😅

Not oil as such, but white smoke out the exhaust & more thirsty for petrol prior to the noise starting

Got a couple, worth a shot for <£20. If nothing else it (allegedly) can boost the mpg a wee bit. It'll need near enough a full tank of petrol once I get it back anyway, so can put one of these in at the same time i suppose.

Screenshot_20240520_083315_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ab078006d44382f0b73327b801c334c.jpg

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Cheers for that, worth a go tbh and its not something ive ever popped in the petrol cap in the 4 years ive had the car, cant hurt 😅

Not oil as such, but white smoke out the exhaust & more thirsty for petrol prior to the noise starting

Got a couple, worth a shot for <£20. If nothing else it (allegedly) can boost the mpg a wee bit. It'll need near enough a full tank of petrol once I get it back anyway, so can put one of these in at the same time i suppose.

Screenshot_20240520_083315_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ab078006d44382f0b73327b801c334c.jpg

Worth the shot. White smoke would be coolant, but tends to also occur with condensation in cooler temperatures, so would be good to check after a cool/cold start on a warmer day. If you’re keeping the car, an oil change within a bit after use of both of those in a short period would be prudent too. Good luck with it, it’s not the likeliest solution, but it’s not going to hurt right now.

You need to start planning how you're getting rid of this thing and your financials for a new car.

Once your getting into issues imvolving the bottom end on an engine it's not going to be worth the repair unless it's a classic Aston Martin or such like. 

On 19/05/2024 at 12:33, Thistle_do_nicely said:

There used to be a product called “slick 50”. It apparently coats worn cylinders etc with something similar to a Teflon coating which will help with worn rings/cyilnders. You could also get the same thing from the same manufacturer for gearboxes too. I’m told it works well for a good while, but I’ve never used it. 

Posted (edited)

Extremely frustrated. About 7/8 weeks its been in the garage and now they tell me its going to Vauxhall to see if they can sort.

Either being taken for a ride or its just fucked and they've not managed to fix it. Would rather they'd sent it to Vauxhall to sort a while ago though if thats what they were going to do?? probably another fucking 2/3 weeks of this and ive a holiday next month.

Dont fully get why theyve replaced the manifold and a bunch of filters and its still (seemingly) fucked? Like why not just say that a few weeks ago, i could take that, and budget accordingly way sooner? Maybe theyve tried fixing it in good faith over the last while, maybe not, past caring.

Actually no, seething etc. Bloody cars.

2 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Extremely frustrated. About 7/8 weeks its been in the garage and now they tell me its going to Vauxhall to see if they can sort.

Either being taken for a ride or its just fucked and they've not managed to fix it. Would rather they'd sent it to Vauxhall to sort a while ago though if thats what they were going to do?? probably another fucking 2/3 weeks of this and ive a holiday next month.

Dont fully get why theyve replaced the manifold and a bunch of filters and its still (seemingly) fucked? Like why not just say that a few weeks ago, i could take that, and budget accordingly way sooner? Maybe theyve tried fixing it in good faith over the last while, maybe not, past caring.

Actually no, seething etc. Bloody cars.

Sucks, but at least the system cleaners will be useful regardless. Using a PEA containing additive in your fuel once or twice a year is a good practice.

6 hours ago, pub car king said:

You need to start planning how you're getting rid of this thing and your financials for a new car.

Once your getting into issues imvolving the bottom end on an engine it's not going to be worth the repair unless it's a classic Aston Martin or such like. 

Aye, get the fucker pushed in to the quarry.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, get the fucker pushed in to the quarry.

Agree. Don't know if there are any hitmen on here with an imminent job in need of a getaway vehicle who could 'steal' yours, burn it out and solve two problems at once. Keep your PM's open on the off chance.

Edited by 'WellDel

1 minute ago, &#x27;WellDel said:

Agree. Don't know if there are any hitmen on here with an imminent job in need of a getaway vehicle who could 'steal' yours, burn it out and solve two problems at once. Keep your PM's open on the off chance.

Up the back road near Plains, the fence is down, piece of pish. Or up to the telly mast and torch it.

Everybody's happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my car back - fixed up! Valve under the rocker cover, apparently, all replaced along with the cracked manifold & various filters, but looks like it's *not* piston related. Was sweating, but might be some life in it yet & didn't end up costing a fortune.

Noticeably fewer exhaust gases too! Need to watch that along with treating the car with kid gloves from now on, having finally had to spend a bit on repairs outside of normal brake pads etc. - don't want to be forking out a few £hundred again for as long as I can get away with.

will be swerving potholes like its the wacky races.