Car advice

Been looking at the i20, both look solid reasonable cars.

Been looking at the i20s too. I’m not against getting a smaller car than I’m used to to be honest as it is just a wee runaround second car I’m looking for. Basically just something for if me and the missus are doing stuff and need a car each, plus to rotate with the main car which is on a 10,000 mile per year PCP.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Anyone got any ideas about this fault?

Car had to be towed as it was overheating on a motorway, got it back, topped up coolant and did an oil change took it for a spin, still overheating. Parked up, idled at high revs for 5 mins, temperature stable. Drive it round the block, starts hitting maximum. Park up, radiator fan which should kick in isn't spinning. Connect it up to the battery and it spins fine. Fuses all intact. No faults on reader.

Anything else I can try?

Don't change nappies and have a picnic on the hard shoulder next time.

20 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Car had to be towed as it was overheating on a motorway, got it back, topped up coolant and did an oil change took it for a spin, still overheating. Parked up, idled at high revs for 5 mins, temperature stable. Drive it round the block, starts hitting maximum. Park up, radiator fan which should kick in isn't spinning. Connect it up to the battery and it spins fine. Fuses all intact. No faults on reader.

Anything else I can try?

Sounds like the temperature switch or thermostat might need replacing. They don't cost much but I don't know how difficult the work is. 

https://www.aa1car.com/library/electric_cooling_fan.htm

Anything else I can try?
Fan doesn't really need to come on when driving I believe usually just when stationary.

Are your heaters working as it could be an air lock?

On 08/03/2019 at 09:54, welshbairn said:

Could be worth asking what you'd get in part exchange for a new one.

Did this and it worked out very well, cheers. I didn’t expect much tbh but managed to sell them an absolute pup somehow. Think they were more interested in just getting a sale.

I've had one of the new Insignia's as a hire car for the last two weeks on holiday.  2.0 turbo diesel.  Wouldn't have been my choice of motor beforehand, but if I was looking for a car that size now I'd have one in a second.  Been really impressed with it. 

Apart from its overzealous lane assist thingy that comes on by default everytime you start the car.  Fucking hell, if you even think about crossing a white line without your indicators on its hauling the wheel away from you. 

Apart from its overzealous lane assist thingy that comes on by default everytime you start the car.  Fucking hell, if you even think about crossing a white line without your indicators on its hauling the wheel away from you. 

That sounds terrifying.

Guest Moomintroll
I've had one of the new Insignia's as a hire car for the last two weeks on holiday.  2.0 turbo diesel.  Wouldn't have been my choice of motor beforehand, but if I was looking for a car that size now I'd have one in a second.  Been really impressed with it. 
I have a 2.0 CDTi Insignia, I actually think it is a better car than the BMW 320d Company Car I had before.

5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Not drained yet (might not need to) but have ruled out thermostat (hot coolant coming through the top hose of the radiator) and a duff connector from the engine to the coolant sensor on the cylinder head (5v current when I turn ignition), so waiting on car cooling down before I get a blowtorch and a coke can.

More updates:

Cylinder head sensor was fine so drained coolant, checked the radiator sensor, which was a bit corroded on its connector but still read 5 volts and had OK resistance (~1800ohms cold, 280 hot vs ~2400 cold, 200 hot for the cylinder head one). I've now replenished coolant and run the engine at high revs to get the temperature up, but still no fan spinning.

Any other ideas?

Get a takeaway instead of cooking tonight.

7 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Not drained yet (might not need to) but have ruled out thermostat (hot coolant coming through the top hose of the radiator) and a duff connector from the engine to the coolant sensor on the cylinder head (5v current when I turn ignition), so waiting on car cooling down before I get a blowtorch and a coke can.

More updates:

Cylinder head sensor was fine so drained coolant, checked the radiator sensor, which was a bit corroded on its connector but still read 5 volts and had OK resistance (~1800ohms cold, 280 hot vs ~2400 cold, 200 hot for the cylinder head one). I've now replenished coolant and run the engine at high revs to get the temperature up, but still no fan spinning.

Any other ideas?

What car have you got?

23 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Honda Civic.

I'm also now getting high/low voltage faults on both sensors so appear to have made the situation worse by having a look :unsure2:

Might be worth inspecting the water pump if you can? 

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Well still none the wiser really. I went through everything again and the only thing different between the cylinder and radiator sensor is when I put a jump pin into the radiator one, the fan doesnt't spin but does with the cylinder sensor. I gave the sensor pins and connector a scrub with vinegar and have left them for the day to dry off, will test again tomorrow and if I still can't get to the bottom of it after that I suppose it's time to admit defeat and take it to a garage.

Might be worth trying a new radiator sensor first if it's only a few quid. I don't pretend to know about this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be buying my first car this summer despite passing my test 16 years ago. I drove a new seat leon tdi as a rental recently and that would be the kind of size I'd need as a minimum (two of us using it for camping trips), I also really liked the car to drive.

Anyone got any tips on a second hand motor in that style £6-8k? I assume finance deals on new motors are shite and I'd get a reliable motor for that price.

1 minute ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Going to be buying my first car this summer despite passing my test 16 years ago. I drove a new seat leon tdi as a rental recently and that would be the kind of size I'd need as a minimum (two of us using it for camping trips), I also really liked the car to drive.

Anyone got any tips on a second hand motor in that style £6-8k? I assume finance deals on new motors are shite and I'd get a reliable motor for that price.

Had a couple of Leons - the diesel ones did not like town driving though and would get DPF problems. For that kind of money though you could maybe look at a 3 yea PCP deal for about £200 deposit/£200 pm. Get a surprisingly wide range of stuff for that and it would be brand new and you could probably bundle in servicing etc too.